motorcycle licence

flightest

Hello I am currently in Phuket on a 6 month double entry tourist visa, I need to obtain a Thai motorcycle licence , can anyone tell me what the current paperwork that is required and what procedure I need to do to get his, ie what documents and were do I need to go. Thank you.

Medical cert. driving license from home country, I bluffed my way through with a provisional, translation into Thai of that license. Heres the hard one, letter of residence or yellow house book, might get away with a letter from your landlord saying you live at his property & a signed copy of his ID card, not positive about that though, you wont get a letter of residence from immigration on a tourist visa or a yellow house book though. Good luck...

Medical cert. driving license from home country, I bluffed my way through with a provisional, translation into Thai of that license. Heres the hard one, letter of residence or yellow house book, might get away with a letter from your landlord saying you live at his property & a signed copy of his ID card, not positive about that though, you wont get a letter of residence from immigration on a tourist visa or a yellow house book though. Good luck...

This is not correct, You can get a Proof of Residence on tourist visa as long as the address registration is done. (which should be done anyway)

This is not correct, You can get a Proof of Residence on tourist visa as long as the address registration is done. (which should be done anyway)

I agree. So long as you can obtain the paperwork from your land lord, hotel management (that would be the address registration paper and owner/company ID) then Immigration will issue a Proof of Residence certificate on a tourist visa, but not on a one month transit stamp.

No need to apply for a Thai DL as you are on holiday (as you are using a tourist visa ) in Thailand.

Use your home country DL together with the IDP which you should have.

Very dangerous and incorrect advice, since a foreign DL is only valid for 3 months. After that a Thai DL is required.

No need to apply for a Thai DL as you are on holiday (as you are using a tourist visa ) in Thailand.

Use your home country DL together with the IDP which you should have.

Very dangerous and incorrect advice, since a foreign DL is only valid for 3 months. After that a Thai DL is required.

Sorry but It is correct as a Tourist visa is good for maximum 3 months (60+30 day) after which he has to leave the country.

People who stay on a long term extension are indeed required to have a Thai DL.

Leaving the country does not reset the 3 month period.

Why not? When he leaves the country after maximum 90 days his stay is finished in my opinion.

Over which period is this 3 months counted then?

I have to admit that i don't have much experience with this so maybe i'm wrong.

Edited by merijn

Why not? As he has a single entry TR60 his stay is finished in my opinion.

I would not want to be going up against a large insurance company, in Court, with the reason why they should pay my medical bills is because I crossed a border, had lunch, and came back to Thailand, thus, I am only here for 3 months, not 6 months.

Why not? When he leaves the country after maximum 90 days his stay is finished in my opinion.

I think because it is the same visa, just a new entry.

That could be possible but so far i know it is calculated for each entry. (he is not required to use the second entry.)

I have to check this out to be sure.

That could be possible but so far i know it is calculated for each entry. (he is not required to use the second entry.)

I have to check this out to be sure.

Please do check, I'd be happy to stand corrected.

BTW, if he doesn't use the 2nd entry he stays within the 3 months validity.

slight change of topic but my motorbike license expired in july of this year but i got stopped in a road block a couple of days ago (i though they banned them!) and the cop checked my license and didn't say anything about it been expired (i only noticed today).

i think i read somewhere you get a 1 year grace period to renew your 5 year license. is that correct?

slight change of topic but my motorbike license expired in july of this year but i got stopped in a road block a couple of days ago (i though they banned them!) and the cop checked my license and didn't say anything about it been expired (i only noticed today).

i think i read somewhere you get a 1 year grace period to renew your 5 year license. is that correct?

Yes, there is a one year grace period for renewal, as in no practical test required. However it's completely illegal to drive after the day your license expires. The cops had every right to fine you for no valid driving icense.

Yes, there is a one year grace period for renewal, as in no practical test required. However it's completely illegal to drive after the day your license expires. The cops had every right to fine you for no valid driving icense.

In addition, road blocks are still legal if they're authorised.

Are you sure ? I would think te 90 day period would be reset by leaving Thailand. But someting I have no experience with.

98% sure, since it is the same visa. A new visa would reset.

I hope Merijn can confirm or refute this shortly :)