Gasoline 95 vs Gasohol 95 ?

freedomnow

E20 is perfect for cars but why not for bikes ?

Only if they are certified to use it.

If not, engine damage awaits.

Assuming equal octane numbers, the most likely damage will be drying out of seals/o-rings, in the fuel system. My Suzuki enduro ran poorly after I bought it with 5000 km on the clock. The float needle seat was loose in the carb, instead of being held firm by the o-ring, and the fuel line was hard. Upon inspection, the o-ring was rock-hard and worn. After replacing them, I put another 15 km on without a single problem, using 91 benzine (gasoline).

When 91 disappeared, I paid the extra for 95 benzine, and it continued to run great. It was not made for gasohol...

Edit: undoing 'helpful' tablet text.

Edited by TheKnave

hello,

can you tell me when 91 disapeared and why ?

It was supposed to be better and for newer cars as I understand (maybe wrongly) ?

Thank you.

E20 is perfect for cars but why not for bikes ?

Only if they are certified to use it.

If not, engine damage awaits.
Assuming equal octane numbers, the most likely damage will be drying out of seals/o-rings, in the fuel system. My Suzuki enduro ran poorly after I bought it with 5000 km on the clock. The float needle seat was loose in the carb, instead of being held firm by the o-ring, and the fuel line was hard. Upon inspection, the o-ring was rock-hard and worn. After replacing them, I put another 15 km on without a single problem, using 91 benzine (gasoline).

When 91 disappeared, I paid the extra for 95 benzine, and it continued to run great. It was not made for gasohol...

Edit: undoing 'helpful' tablet text.

Years ago, I bought a BMW 325i convertible for my wife. It started to run badly and then there was a gasoline smell. Then it died. I took it to my BMW certified mechanic friend who ended up replacing all fuel line components with stainless steel and solvent resistant O rings and washers. My wife was burning gasohol exclusively "because it's better for the environment". I paid that bill with the caution that her next environmental gesture would come from her pocket not mine. Never had a problem again.

Your wife is lucky :-)

And then she is still using gasohol without problem ?

Years ago, I bought a BMW 325i convertible for my wife. It started to run badly and then there was a gasoline smell. Then it died. I took it to my BMW certified mechanic friend who ended up replacing all fuel line components with stainless steel and solvent resistant O rings and washers. My wife was burning gasohol exclusively "because it's better for the environment". I paid that bill with the caution that her next environmental gesture would come from her pocket not mine. Never had a problem again.

A colleague of mine always sticks E20 in his scooter. Warned him but he says it's running great. Just wonder for how long?

I use benzine 95 where I can, however, Caltex doesn't agree and oddly PTT seems to work better for me. PT is good too.

• 5 weeks later...
BBJ, on 04 Nov 2015 - 15:41, said:

A colleague of mine always sticks E20 in his scooter. Warned him but he says it's running great. Just wonder for how long?

I use benzine 95 where I can, however, Caltex doesn't agree and oddly PTT seems to work better for me. PT is good too.

Do you happen to know which companies sell gasoline 95

The original pcx 125 onwards is designed for e20

Same as the first "new" cbr 250r

Never tested it for power vs mpg vs price etc but they're is e20 stamp on the cover of owners manual

If available I'll use

Benzene 95

Benzene 91

Gasohol 95

Gasohol 91

E20

In that order

Using gasahol only gives the illusion of saving money, experiences in Oz suggest that the whole thing is a bit of a scam! Check out the Oz RACV for information about alcohol in fuel...you use more to get where you are going, straight petrol is much, much better for your engine than ethanol fuels!! thumbsup.gifwai.gif

The principal player in Australia in ethanol is Manildra. It is supported by government subsidies as the ethanol is derived from agriculture, a sacred cow in government policy.

Gasoline derived from oil production fluctuates with world crude oil pricing between $1.20 and $1.50 a litre in Australia. The true cost/litre of ethanol when removing subsidies and factoring in the environmental cost of monoculture, fertilizers, herbicides etc. is approximately $2.50. So yes, it's a scam that way as well. You are NOT saving the planet.

Gasoline derived from oil is mainly hydrocarbons, which are non-polar solvents. Ethanol is a polar solvent. Combined, the solvent effect on components such as seals, O-rings and plastic pipes is far greater. So these components either degrade more swiftly, or vehicle manufacturers have to use polymers which are more resistant to leaching and embrittlement. More resistant usually means more expensive.

Given the cost-cutting endemic in vehicle manufacture, I would not be trusting their assurances that the vehicle is compatible with alcohol/gasoline blends.

In the early days of Gasohol there were problems with gaskets, sealing rings and carbs/injection systems. Consequently the engine manufacturers had to address the problem and now it is unheard of in a modern car and that goes back a considerable number of years now.

So this is weird.. Have been using 95 Benzel only.. Usually shell. However the last 2 fills however were Caltex and used Gasahol 95.. The Caltex is getting an extra 20-30 km on a tank before the refrill light starts to flash.. This on a cbr300r used just for commuting.

Would not use it on the bigger cbr as it sits with fuel in it for a longtime.. For the commuter though it seems fine.

Sent from my c64

Edited by wow64

From what Iv experienced the small Hondas and the like over here all have stickers stating ... Use 91 only.

91 is petrol (benzine is an incorrect but accepted term used by some to describe mineral oil derived petroleum spirit (petrol).

91 E20 is a mixture of petrol and 20% ethylene (ethylene is bio fuel as opposed to mineral fuel).

91 gasohol is a mixture of petrol and 10% ethylene.

95 of any description is designed for use in high performance vehicles and it will be clearly stated on or around the fuel filler or in the handbook. It's of no advantage to use 95 when 91 is specified. Not so, the case in reverse. Using 91 in a high performance engine will cause overheating and accelerated wear / early failure.

Most small motorcycles are not designed to use ethylene. Older cars are likewise. Sure, they will run but ... Seals and hoses together with fuel tanks and lines will be corroded by ethylene because .... It's corrosive to many, many materials. Iv seen arguments one way and then the other, that ethylene is not as efficient as petrol and more difficult to start an engine from cold and not burning fully / efficiently. I don't know about that but plenty is written and readily available via mr Google.

I think that the best advice is to use the fuel as recommend by the manufacturer. The very small money saving gained at the pump could well be lost at the parts counter.

Edited by billphillips

There is no 91 benzine (petrol) as stated above. Its 95 octane petrol .. More misinformation .... In fact reading his post it all is laugh.png ..

Maybe no 91 where you buy your petrol but plenty around if you only look. The rest of the information is all quite correct but probably contrary to understanding, information or posts that you have made in the past.

Why don't you have a look on the net or at alternate filling stations DELETED

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

There is no 91 benzine (petrol) as stated above. Its 95 octane petrol .. More misinformation .... In fact reading his post it all is laugh.png ..

Maybe no 91 where you buy your petrol but plenty around if you only look. The rest of the information is all quite correct but probably contrary to understanding, information or posts that you have made in the past.

Why don't you have a look on the net or at alternate filling stations DELETED

The only 91 here now is gasahol, benzine is 95 and is shown as a yellow on pump, you can also get 95 gasahol, I will not use gasahol any more as it it very poor quality and goes bad very quick not worth a few baht saving as far as I am concerned.