Gasoline 95 vs Gasohol 95 ?

freedomnow

Big bike owner told me to ditch gasohol 95 for my scooter and use gasoline 95.

Is it compatible with the 1255cc and below Hondas ?

I notice my scooter is a bit 'throaty' coming up for 30k on the clock if it is cool in the morning as though the engine is gummed up.

I do an oil change every 4k or so and maintain all the rest of it.

Edit : and is cleaning the engine different to an oil change ? Novice questions I know.

Edited by freedomnow

Any gasoline gasohol will be okay, just not E20..

.....".and maintained all the rest."

Doubtful.

If everything is well maintained, the bike should be running swell.

Knowing model, age, etc could provide clues.

Absent specific data, consider filters, plugs, carb.?

There are many decent mechanics out there who work on bikes every day.

Try to find one.

Edited by papa al

Benzine 95 is not that easy to find..Sounds like you have a small CC Bike so really don't need the High Octane

Benzine 95 being what everyone calls gasoline 95? Out of curiousity, what countries call it Benzene 95 ?

To the OP, many people avoid gasahol products because it has a history of drying out gaskets and it is slightly less power than gasoline.

Cleaning an engine can refer to a couple of things:

1) External washing. Avoid when engine is hot.

2) Adding a detergent such as SeaFoam or zmarvel Mystery Oil or even Autoatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) to the engine crankcase (where your oil is). You can accomplish the same thing by using a synthetic oil. This practice helps to remove gunk in your engine crankcase.

As was mentioned, if you feel your bike is not running well then a mechanic can help identify the problem.

Good luck.

Clutch,

Not sure but Mr. Benz, who had a daughter named Mercedes, was German I think.

It's all connected man....

I was thinking it was from the chemical Benzene Found in gasoline.

Good to learn its origins are from Mr Benz. I always associated the early Benz as being deisel.

Cheers

Using gasahol only gives the illusion of saving money, experiences in Oz suggest that the whole thing is a bit of a scam! Check out the Oz RACV for information about alcohol in fuel...you use more to get where you are going, straight petrol is much, much better for your engine than ethanol fuels!! thumbsup.gifwai.gif

My Yamaha Nuovo 135cc runs OK on 91 or 95 gasohol, but runs far better on 95 straight gasoline. No rough idle, starts easier and better mileage which mitigates some of the extra cost. Gasohol is a scam put over on the public by agribusiness and government. One of the reasons food prices have risen so much. 40% of the US corn crop has been diverted to manufacturing ethanol instead of feeding livestock and people and is subsidized by the "greenies" in government. It's all BS, just like global warming and climate change. Us peasants end up paying the freight on these politically motivated boondoggles. Thailand is no different in that it's just following the lead of other greenies as a gesture. LOS ought to start by picking up all the roadside trash and educating the populace about turning a paradise into a trash pit. But that's a discussion for another forum.

My Yamaha Nuovo 135cc runs OK on 91 or 95 gasohol, but runs far better on 95 straight gasoline. No rough idle, starts easier and better mileage which mitigates some of the extra cost. Gasohol is a scam put over on the public by agribusiness and government. One of the reasons food prices have risen so much. 40% of the US corn crop has been diverted to manufacturing ethanol instead of feeding livestock and people and is subsidized by the "greenies" in government. It's all BS, just like global warming and climate change. Us peasants end up paying the freight on these politically motivated boondoggles. Thailand is no different in that it's just following the lead of other greenies as a gesture. LOS ought to start by picking up all the roadside trash and educating the populace about turning a paradise into a trash pit. But that's a discussion for another forum.

Dogbreath, you're exactly right. If they would take the gasoline out of the gasohol you could drink what's left and get drunk. Leave it sit around in a container for a month or so and you can see it separate.

Gasoline numbers are a performance measurement metric.

Gasohol numbers are different and related to ethanol/gasoline ratios.

Gasohol 95 is 5% ethanol 95% gasoline

Gasohol 91 is 9% ethanol 91% gasoline

Then the labeling flips over

E20 is 20% ethanol 80% gasoline

E85 is anthing from 51%-83% ethanol with the remainder being gasoline

Gasoline numbers are a performance measurement metric.

Gasohol numbers are different and related to ethanol/gasoline ratios.

Gasohol 95 is 5% ethanol 95% gasoline

Gasohol 91 is 9% ethanol 91% gasoline

Incorrect :(

I was told many years ago by a boat owner that Gasohol can be problematic if you leave it standing for a couple of weeks as it can attract water, but no problem if used daily. I have nothing to back this information up though. I just stick with the tried and tested stuff (personally I would have thought a little water would increase the expansion coefficient).

If you want to boost octane on the cheap, then you can experiment with adding a tiny amount of Acetone (same as nail polish remover). I've tried this in a diesel truck and you could feel the difference in terms of better throttle response. I would suggest googling that one though as the ratios are important. Never had any issues with gaskets or rubber pipe degradation which is one of the main opposition claims.

Using gasahol only gives the illusion of saving money, experiences in Oz suggest that the whole thing is a bit of a scam! Check out the Oz RACV for information about alcohol in fuel...you use more to get where you are going, straight petrol is much, much better for your engine than ethanol fuels!! thumbsup.gifwai.gif

The principal player in Australia in ethanol is Manildra. It is supported by government subsidies as the ethanol is derived from agriculture, a sacred cow in government policy.

Gasoline derived from oil production fluctuates with world crude oil pricing between $1.20 and $1.50 a litre in Australia. The true cost/litre of ethanol when removing subsidies and factoring in the environmental cost of monoculture, fertilizers, herbicides etc. is approximately $2.50. So yes, it's a scam that way as well. You are NOT saving the planet.

Gasoline derived from oil is mainly hydrocarbons, which are non-polar solvents. Ethanol is a polar solvent. Combined, the solvent effect on components such as seals, O-rings and plastic pipes is far greater. So these components either degrade more swiftly, or vehicle manufacturers have to use polymers which are more resistant to leaching and embrittlement. More resistant usually means more expensive.

Given the cost-cutting endemic in vehicle manufacture, I would not be trusting their assurances that the vehicle is compatible with alcohol/gasoline blends.

I was told many years ago by a boat owner that Gasohol can be problematic if you leave it standing for a couple of weeks as it can attract water, but no problem if used daily. I have nothing to back this information up though. I just stick with the tried and tested stuff (personally I would have thought a little water would increase the expansion coefficient).

If you want to boost octane on the cheap, then you can experiment with adding a tiny amount of Acetone (same as nail polish remover). I've tried this in a diesel truck and you could feel the difference in terms of better throttle response. I would suggest googling that one though as the ratios are important. Never had any issues with gaskets or rubber pipe degradation which is one of the main opposition claims

Ethanol forms an azeotrope with water of 95% ethanol/5% water, so yes it tends to absorb water until that level is reached.

Acetone ? Ouch. Very polar solvent, attacks the plasticizers and other additives in most polymers. Although if you are using minuscule quantities, you may get away with it.

Ethanol absorbing water is not a bad thing. Keeps pure water out of your fuel system.

Ethanol has less power per kg but delivers more power per stroke / time.

Thus worse milage.

Basically it's fraud.

You want to buy energy but pay for volume.

If energy was sold in units of energy instead of volume it would be a different game.

Luckily gas in Thailand is cheap especially with current oil market.

I had a friend who came to the pub one spring complaining that the fuel tank he had taken off for a winter overhaul would not fit. Confused the hell out of everyone, but then we found out that it was one of the effects of ethanol in modern fuels. I think it was a glass fibre seat/tank unit.

I had a friend who came to the pub one spring complaining that the fuel tank he had taken off for a winter overhaul would not fit. Confused the hell out of everyone, but then we found out that it was one of the effects of ethanol in modern fuels. I think it was a glass fibre seat/tank unit.

Ducati 1098's had big problems with fuel tank expansion.

Went to visit some friends in a small village

went to buy some food with my whitey friend

was told ''take the moto cy''

was told ''put oil''

OK oil was actually petrol, as they don't know

that word the smarter ones call it ''benzine''

you figure

Like papa said, plus also don't put Diesel or LPG smile.png

Gasohol 91 is fine for your scooter. Ask your friend why your scooter would need Gasoline 95.

Now big bikes, that's a different thing.

How come, because they are big?

Because of the increased heat production and fuel compression that big bikes usually have.

Octane numbers are a rating for how well the fuel can resist detonation under heat and pressure.

The higher the octane, the more "stable" the fuel under these conditions.

Putting 91 octane in an engine that requires 95 octane can lead to detonation, also known as engine knocking/pinging.

If your engine has no problems with 91 Octane, then using 95 octane will do exactly nothing but part you with more money.