Fatalities in road accidents decline: PM

rooster59

Fatalities in road accidents decline: PM

BANGKOK, 31 October 2015 (NNT) - Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha confirmed the rate of fatalities caused by road accidents has declined nationwide.

During his weekly TV program “Returning Happiness to the People”, the premier said the authorities had successfully prevented severe road mishaps, especially during long holidays, resulting in the drop in the rate of fatalities.

"Government units were instructed to revise traffic law and regulations as well as insurance conditions. Motorists' behaviors are yet to improve accordingly.

''Drunk driving must be stopped while a real-time vehicle tracking system, GPS and speed control equipment will be used aboard public vehicles for safety reasons," said the prime minister.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-10-31 footer_n.gif

So there is a dip in road fatalities...

He could do a lot more to reduce the mayhem out there, just prove what little he has done is working...

But if he wants to see Thailand move down the WHO table he needs to do a lot more.

Edited by Basil B

Statistically road deaths in the holiday periods are not much worse than at other times. Focussing on "the 5 deadly days of Songkran" as the media bills it, and other events ignores the daily danger everyone faces.

Prayut could make the people happy by targeting dangerous driving and having realistic penalties, not slaps on the wrists. With Thailands record being the worst in Asean ( 54% higher than the NEXT country ) and #2 in the world he has no reason to be smug.

Every time a problem is highlighted in the new the PM announces a few days later that the problem has been solved or partialy so. People smuggling, slavery, air safety etc all have been solved and the people are grateful. He is a wonderful man it seems.

Oddly enough, this week I saw 4 accidents, 1 major, 2 with a decent wrecked car and 1 motorsai scratcher...dunno about fatalities, but accidents went up...as I barely ever see more than 1 a month around Ubon. Which was kinda shocking to me, seeing how they drive on a daily basis and rarely seeing accidents, I finally felt "within logical understanding" for once...meaning, for all that crazy driving and red light running etc not seeing a ton more accidents through the weeks.

One document/report that we are apparently not party to, and the PM feels he can claim this as a trend.

as some figures put the death rates on public holidays LOWER than the national average in the first place one has to question his sources.........and general competencies in this field.

Oddly enough, this week I saw 4 accidents, 1 major, 2 with a decent wrecked car and 1 motorsai scratcher...dunno about fatalities, but accidents went up...as I barely ever see more than 1 a month around Ubon. Which was kinda shocking to me, seeing how they drive on a daily basis and rarely seeing accidents, I finally felt "within logical understanding" for once...meaning, for all that crazy driving and red light running etc not seeing a ton more accidents through the weeks.

Yes - and the plural of anecdote is not data....

In most parts of the world traffic deaths and injuries are increasing, according to the Bloomberg Global Road Safety Program, and Thailand is no exception. In 2009 WHO reports state that death per 100,000 people was 19.6, and then in 2010, a year before the United Nations with the Thai government introduced its ‘Decade of Action Plan’promoting and initiating road safety,that number shot up to 38.1. It’s now 44. It’s likely that traffic fatalities didn’t double within the space of a year; the sudden spike may relate to when, and how, the statistics were compiled. It should also be noted that statistics taken inside Thailand only includes victims who died at the scene, while WHO statistics include persons that died within 30 days of the accident.

Statistically road deaths in the holiday periods are not much worse than at other times. Focussing on "the 5 deadly days of Songkran" as the media bills it, and other events ignores the daily danger everyone faces.

Prayut could make the people happy by targeting dangerous driving and having realistic penalties, not slaps on the wrists. With Thailands record being the worst in Asean ( 54% higher than the NEXT country ) and #2 in the world he has no reason to be smug

Quite. Considering Thailand considers itself to be the leading country in the Asean its road safety record is a disgrace. But until the Police actually enforce the law and punish accordingly, instead of being a commercial entity collecting fines nothing will ever change.

In most parts of the world traffic deaths and injuries are increasing, according to the Bloomberg Global Road Safety Program, and Thailand is no exception. In 2009 WHO reports state that death per 100,000 people was 19.6, and then in 2010, a year before the United Nations with the Thai government introduced its ‘Decade of Action Plan’promoting and initiating road safety,that number shot up to 38.1. It’s now 44. It’s likely that traffic fatalities didn’t double within the space of a year; the sudden spike may relate to when, and how, the statistics were compiled. It should also be noted that statistics taken inside Thailand only includes victims who died at the scene, while WHO statistics include persons that died within 30 days of the accident.

"In most parts of the world traffic deaths and injuries are increasing," - I'm not sure where in Bloomberg this is, but it isn't simply a straightforward problem affecting countries universally....but it isn't just a simple case of direct correlation...

as far as I can see Bloomberg are saying that if worldwide action isn't taken then figures to could rise....It doesn't specifically single out Thailand here either.....

More than 1.2 million people are killed in traffic crashes every year. Ninety percent of these deaths are in low- and middle-income countries, where cities are growing rapidly along with the number of cars on the road. Unless we act quickly, traffic crashes will rise from the world's ninth-leading cause of death today to the seventh-leading cause by 2030 -- which could claim as many as 1.8 million lives each year.

One problem developing and near developed countries have - apart from gathering stats - is an exponential increase in motor vehicles and ownership thereof. Thailand has adopted a police of heavily subsidising road transport and private vehicle ownership at the expense of other traffic systems - many of which are inherently safer.

Thailand has both it's own and ASEAN backed road safety plans but unfortunately as successive governments have shown, they don't have the will or the nouse to put it effectively into action....so they remain at the top in deaths per 100k and high up in deaths per car ownership......death per billion km driven is not available from Thailand and many developing countries.

your definition of "at the scene" needs to be cited by the sta gatherers - there are of course more than one organisation compiling and analysing stats withing Thailand, Asia and the World.

Edited by cumgranosalum

A post in which the quoted content had been altered has been removed as well as a reply.

Forum Netiquette
2. Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording. Such posts will be deleted and the user warned.

The only hope for this country is to bring in someone who isn't blinded and brainwashed by Thainess. Where is Abhisit? And why isn't his Oxford education and worldliness being put to good use? Now that Colonel Blimp has had his say on the amazing over-night improvements in road safety we can all breath a sigh of relief, the UN must have been wrong of course. Those overturned pick up trucks with bodies spilled into the ditch I keep seeing must be a figment of my imagination.