Flr m acknowledgement letter confusion

Good morning. Just wondering if anyone can help and maybe alleviate some panic. Just applied for flr m for my wife. She came in July 15 on fiance visa and we married beginning of October and recently applied for what seemed a straight forward flr m. We received this response today...

Thanks you for application for permission to stay in the UK.

You have requested leave to remain outside the immigration rules which are complex in nature. As such, it falls outside our normal service standards for deciding leave to remain applications. Please be assured that we will make a decision on your case as quickly as possible.

This letter has left my wife in a state of panic I'm sure it's just a mix up in the letter. But any advise extremely welcome

At this stage all I can think is that maybe you accidentally ticked one of the wrong boxes when indicating the category you are applying under. Did you keep a copy of your completed application form? Certainly looks like a strange response from the Home Office on the face of it.

100 percent it was all ticked correctly. Haven't got a copy but got a copy that we done first to make sure we done correctly so I know it's all ok on what we ticked.

We supplied marriage certificate bank statements showing 65k savings for 6 months. Photos of wedding. A cover letter. All passports mine and wife's. English test certificate. Everything should be straight forward. Just this response has left my wife in a worried mess. And not sure what to do now

100 percent it was all ticked correctly. Haven't got a copy but got a copy that we done first to make sure we done correctly so I know it's all ok on what we ticked.

What I understand from this is that you printed off two forms, filled in and kept one as a draft, copied it to the form that was submitted, and then checked that you had copied the answers you had decided upon correctly. How do you know that you answered the questions correctly? It seems that you filled it in incorrectly, UKVI misread your answers, or replied randomly.

We supplied marriage certificate bank statements showing 65k savings for 6 months. Photos of wedding. A cover letter. All passports mine and wife's. English test certificate. Everything should be straight forward. Just this response has left my wife in a worried mess. And not sure what to do now

Two things that you don't mention are a BRP and the NHS surcharge.

I don't know whether your wife should already have a BRP because she came over for settlement, or not because a fiancee visa is only valid for 6 months. If her visa was valid for 30 days, then she should have obtained a BRP and submitted it. If the visa in her passport was valid for 6 months, forget what I have just said about a BRP.

Which version of FLR(M) did you submit? The one currently on-line is FLR(M) Version 04/15.

Did you provide an Immigration Health Surcharge number (Question 1.11)? When did you make the corresponding payment, and do you know that it has been debited from your account?

Which boxes do you believe you ticked for Question 2?

How did you answer Question 9.1 ('Have you been issued with a Biometric residence permit with a previous application for

leave?')?

What I understand from this is that you printed off two forms, filled in and kept one as a draft, copied it to the form that was submitted, and then checked that you had copied the answers you had decided upon correctly. How do you know that you answered the questions correctly? It seems that you filled it in incorrectly, UKVI misread your answers, or replied randomly.

Two things that you don't mention are a BRP and the NHS surcharge.

I don't know whether your wife should already have a BRP because she came over for settlement, or not because a fiancee visa is only valid for 6 months. If her visa was valid for 30 days, then she should have obtained a BRP and submitted it. If the visa in her passport was valid for 6 months, forget what I have just said about a BRP.

Which version of FLR(M) did you submit? The one currently on-line is FLR(M) Version 04/15.

Did you provide an Immigration Health Surcharge number (Question 1.11)? When did you make the corresponding payment, and do you know that it has been debited from your account?

Which boxes do you believe you ticked for Question 2?

How did you answer Question 9.1 ('Have you been issued with a Biometric residence permit with a previous application for

leave?')?

We completed 04/15 flrm. Nhs surcharge done. Money taken. And supplied reference number.

Question 2 we put spouse of a person settled and present in the UK and a biometric immigration document. Question 9 we ticked no we haven't been previously issued with a brp

I just can't see how we have received a letter saying your application is outside immigration rules. I'm sure there has been a mix up somewhere. But my wife is distraught about the whole thing. And I don't know if I will be able to speak to someone about it or our application has been put God knows where because "it's outside immigration rules"

We completed 04/15 flrm. Nhs surcharge done. Money taken. And supplied reference number.

Question 2 we put spouse of a person settled and present in the UK and a biometric immigration document. Question 9 we ticked no we haven't been previously issued with a brp

And for Questions 2.2 and 2.3?

I just can't see how we have received a letter saying your application is outside immigration rules. I'm sure there has been a mix up somewhere. But my wife is distraught about the whole thing. And I don't know if I will be able to speak to someone about it or our application has been put God knows where because "it's outside immigration rules"

I certainly can't see anything wrong with your application. When does your wife's current leave to remain expire? It doesn't seem likely, though, that it has already expired.

I suppose there could be an issue with Section 7, especially the box-ticking in Section 7.3E, though there don't seem to be an obviously confusing question.

I have never heard of such a thing when entering on a fiance visa and then applying for FLR after the marriage.

The only thing I can think of is; was it definitely a fiance settlement visa she had, or was it a marriage visit visa?

If the latter, then any FLR application would be outside the immigration rules as visitors cannot usually apply for settlement from inside the UK; they have to return home and apply there.

If the former, then all I can suggest is contacting UKVI to ask what is going on.

If there is no contact information on the letter, then:

UK Visas and Immigration contact centre
Telephone: 0300 123 2241
Textphone: 0800 389 8289 FREE
Monday to Thursday, 9am to 4.45pm
Friday, 9am to 4.30pm
Find out about call charges

I have never heard of such a thing when entering on a fiance visa and then applying for FLR after the marriage.

The only thing I can think of is; was it definitely a fiance settlement visa she had, or was it a marriage visit visa?

If the latter, then any FLR application would be outside the immigration rules as visitors cannot usually apply for settlement from inside the UK; they have to return home and apply there.

If the former, then all I can suggest is contacting UKVI to ask what is going on.

If there is no contact information on the letter, then:

UK Visas and Immigration contact centre

Telephone: 0300 123 2241

Textphone: 0800 389 8289 FREE

Monday to Thursday, 9am to 4.45pm

Friday, 9am to 4.30pm

Find out about call charges

Hi thanks for reply.

It was definite fiance visa we applied and received in July 15. Thai visa express done that one for us. My wife come over in July and we married in October and applied last week. Then yesterday received the above letter which I typed out. There is no contact details on the letter. I'm gobsmacked by the letter and I'm sure there has been a mix up but just concerned about the fall out from the mix up if we have been put in a pile somewhere of application not in the rules.

Will give them numbers a call tomorrow and hopefully get somewhere just worried how helpful they will be on the phone

Not that surprised when the Home Office and UKVI screw up - sister in law had issues with the HO not taking payment for her naturalisation but did for her daughter. Months later (and several ignored emails and recorded delivery letters to query this) she had a letter stating that her application could not be completed until she had paid!

Always back up anything said on the phone, with a recorded delivery letter. Ask if there is a reference number or contact name and include this. Not the best organised people but it is important to keep a paper trail in case there are issues later. Keep a diary of which number you called, reference numbers, time of day etc. At least in theory they should be recording everything anyway.

Let us know how you are getting on but if there is any doubt at all, my advice is to copy everything to your MP, making it clear how concerned you are. Should there be problems later, it is good to have him or her on your side.

Hopefully all this is overreaction and it will be cleared up quickly.

Just a little update. Phoned the number 7by7 left on here earlier today. Got through to somebody explained the situation over the phone. The lady advised me that the letter does sound wrong and advised me to write a letter explaining it to the team in Sheffield (that sent the letter) explaining the situation. She didn't ask for any personal details so didn't check anything as such but explained that it was a flrm application following a fiance visa she said that's not outside immigration rules. I composed a letter and sent off today special delivery. Even just a email or a 30 second phone call from them to say it's their mix up and the application is on track to be processed in the correct manor would relieve so much stress and worry for my wife. I just hope someone at ukba can see that

Don't hold your breath!

Expect silence until the application gets to the top of the pile but hopefully it will be processed correctly. These things usually just sort themselves out.

If you get an apology or admission they have got it wrong please post it here. It then should be framed and put up on the wall. Confirmation of a mistake is as common as hens teeth!

The best I have ever seen is 'that sounds a bit strange, put everything in writing and send it to xxxxx'. you have already had that!

Don't hold your breath!

Expect silence until the application gets to the top of the pile but hopefully it will be processed correctly. These things usually just sort themselves out.

If you get an apology or admission they have got it wrong please post it here. It then should be framed and put up on the wall. Confirmation of a mistake is as common as hens teeth!

The best I have ever seen is 'that sounds a bit strange, put everything in writing and send it to xxxxx'. you have already had that!

I know. I'm sure (well as sure as I can be) that it will sort itself out. I just wanted a bit of reassurance for my wife to put her at ease as she is so upset which I can understand from the letter we received. She will be a nervous wreck for the next 6 to 8 weeks if we don't hear anything. Would say hopefully common sense will prevail. But it does seem dealing with these that common sense isn't common

My sister in law has been in a state for months because they took payment for her daughters naturalisation but not hers! Emails and recorded delivery letters have gone completely ignored. Eventually sent a letter saying the application cannot be completed until payment received so the same bank details were resent and payment taken. Now progressing!

My advice is to cover all eventualities and record everything but not to panic too much. Generally they sort things out when they get round to it!

My sister in law has been in a state for months because they took payment for her daughters naturalisation but not hers! Emails and recorded delivery letters have gone completely ignored. Eventually sent a letter saying the application cannot be completed until payment received so the same bank details were resent and payment taken. Now progressing!

My advice is to cover all eventualities and record everything but not to panic too much. Generally they sort things out when they get round to it!

It's shocking really with people's futures at stake.

Update today though heard nothing from my letter as expected. But a letter arrived today requesting biometrics as expected. So maybe it is back on track ?

Update today though heard nothing from my letter as expected. But a letter arrived today requesting biometrics as expected. So maybe it is back on track ?

For the Biometric registration, is it all started by filling in that section in the FLR(m) application or have you also done anything other than that so far?

For the Biometric registration, is it all started by filling in that section in the FLR(m) application or have you also done anything other than that so far?

Started on the application form. We have done nothing else. Just received the dodgy first letter on Saturday morning. And then this letter requesting biometrics today. If you got acknowledgement today you will prob get this letter by the end of the week

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just an update even after the despair of the first letter we received everything has been successful and today we received our documents back and a letter saying flr has been approved and to wait for the brp which will be sent separate. All in all around 6 weeks. Which considering the first letter we received I thought this could be a long drawn out process but they obviously just mixed up letters originally.