Growing plant from the US

chilidog

So I have tried many times to grow pumpkins, tomato, and green chilies from seeds I brought over from the US. The pumpkins

start out great but die right when they start the first fruit. The tomato's get about 8 inches then die. I have only bee successful at growing green chilies and jalapenos but they tent to die a little premature. I think there is a fungus that is killing the plants.

Does anyone know what the problem might be and has anyone been successful at growing seeds brought from the states?

I dont know if thats true. Im from New Mexico and it gets between 95f and 110f in the summer growing season. I have grown great pumpkins and tomato's there.

There is even a big farm that grows them there no shade. The plants should be able to take the heat, it really isnt that hot where im at. Maybe

102f (42c) at the hottest. The plants died around 30-35c. I did see a little bit of white kind of fungus on the last pumpkin plant so thats what im guessing

is happening.

Fair enough. I'm from a cold climate and had assumed that's why my smuggled fruit / veggies were dying... (much lake grapes planted in very hot climates need to be harvested sooner or rot on the vine). Any chance your nighttime temps in NM were sufficiently low enough to stave off the effects on next day's warmer temps?

I also tried with varieties that I was used to in Farang land. If I want to be sure of getting a harvest then I buy local seeds, even though the tomatoes are small and stay green, and the only chilli I can grow for sure is the Thai chilli. There is a wide range of soils and weather here and what doesn't work with me may well work 50 Km away. I have seen tomatoes still growing and fruiting 4 metres tall. I despair of cultivating any solanaceae (tomatoes, egg plants, peppers... ) but I suspect that this may be due to a build up of soil born diseases in my garden due to years of monocropping. Habaneros didn't work, Jalapeno gave me one small fruit each after 6 months.

What I can grow is Thai chilli, peppercorn, ginger, maize, beans, cucumbers and most herbs as well as Kabuk and elephant's foot yam, which tends to go to the ducks.

I cultivate nearly everything under shading and mulch.

It takes some patience and perseverance.

In the US, buy disease resistant seeds developed for hot climates (The south; Florida, etc.)

Definitely avoid the rainy and hot season; start your seeds in a controlled environment; plan growth as to be ready for transplanting about one month before the cool season. (that would be now!)

Make sure your soil is very well drained and has lots of incorporated organic matter.

Use common sense once your seedlings are growing, do not over water, stay away from chemical fertilizers, find a way to protect against pests.

Yes, it is possible to very successfully grow most chilies and tomatoes, never tried pumpkins, some of the Thai ones are delicious.

Last year's crop, new plants growing now.

post-14625-0-35724400-1446552246_thumb.j

post-14625-0-42979800-1446552366_thumb.j

post-14625-0-92360400-1446552477_thumb.j

It takes some patience and perseverance.

In the US, buy disease resistant seeds developed for hot climates (The south; Florida, etc.)

Definitely avoid the rainy and hot season; start your seeds in a controlled environment; plan growth as to be ready for transplanting about one month before the cool season. (that would be now!)

Make sure your soil is very well drained and has lots of incorporated organic matter.

Use common sense once your seedlings are growing, do not over water, stay away from chemical fertilizers, find a way to protect against pests.

Yes, it is possible to very successfully grow most chilies and tomatoes, never tried pumpkins, some of the Thai ones are delicious.

Last year's crop, new plants growing now.

attachicon.gifPicture 772.jpg

attachicon.gifPicture 730.jpg

[attachment=347016:Picture 362.jpg

Fair enough, but what you can grow on your soil (sugar cane country) doesn't work around here (rice paddy country). You CAN'T grow the same stuff all over Thailand. Just driving over that geological border shows you that different vegetables are growing in the gardens.

Archived