Fun car - Leaving Thailand for Philippines

I might move over to Philippines in January next year for many reasons. On is that car models there are much more in line with models released in US and Europe and priced as in US (almost) The face-lifted Mazda CX-5 2.5l WITH AWD, cost equivalent to 1,285,000 baht over there, AND it is made in Japan. No diesel yet due to lack of the country's diesel quality (according to Mazda Philippines. The same goes for the Ford Escape 2.0 Ecoboost multi-toy-loaded Titanium with 240hp costs equivalent to 1,300,000 baht. The new Hyundai Tuscon fully loaded costs 1,150,000 baht for gas and 1,220,000 baht for the top-model with an 179hp/420nm diesel and so on, as well as many V6 300hp cars for around 1.5Mbaht. Sadly, European premium cars costing similar to Thailand, except for the Golf GTI costing 1,730,000 baht. A favorite is the the Hyndai Genesis 2.0Turbo that fairly easy can get tuned to 350-380hp. Cost for the car equivalent to 1.0-1.4Mbaht depending of trim, with the top trim featuring Brembo brakes all around.

Edited by inventorinthailand

I have only seen the roads in Manila, Cebu and on the way from Manila to Olangapo. A sport car would not be my first option, but a powerful mid sized SUV. I have seen pictures on very nice roads up on the hills, but i don't know exactly where the photos were taken.

As for the food, I love the Thai food, but i think the Philippine food is not bad, not at all. I was actually positively surprise about the food at first time as i had read a lot about their "terrible" local food. Different, but not bad at all.

Subic bay is the place that I did initially planed for. Calm and not much traffic and i know a few people over there, one running a small factory with 60 employees there for almost 20 years. Also it is 2-3 hours from a flight to BKK (have interests left here that needs my attention sometimes on short notice). And it is easy to establish a 100% foreign own business, getting work permits for me and other aliens there at the Subic free port zone as they have their own rules. Thought about Cebu but i did not like the terrible traffic. Well back there in January again, I will drive around on my own and explore more places though.

What are the roads like ?

My limited experience of the Phils is that the traffic is worse in Manila than Bangkok, without the expressways.

Outside of the city the roads are poorer - I may be wrong, hence the above question... What are the roads like in your opinion ?

Right about the Manila traffic ... roads border fair to bad.....more rutted and washed out than pot holed like here......no women drvers - they don't feel safe so usually have a driver/bodyguard if no husband.....very few working traffic lights and at the ones that do work beggars knock on your body panels hoping you'll pay them to go away - then you get swarmed......they drive aggressive and it's mano on mano and much closer quarters betting who's fender gets the first edge.....They use their horn as constant signals to identify their proximity to you.....very aggressive.....roads are seldom lit and many bicycle riders because they can't afford a motorbike....the bicycles have no lights and fly at you from all angles.....I called them kamakazis....like a songtou they have jeepnies....if on a 4 lane road the two outside lanes will be clogged with them and the others snail crawl out when they get riders - some date back to WWII or the K war and are big and slow with drum brakes and aggressive drivers.....no tuktuks there - they drive motorbikes with sidecars and will spin on a dime right in front of you if they think they see a fare .... again aggressive... ..don't get in front of a bus there they simply won't stop - for anything.....they're told drive over/through and drive on.....they are not gentille drivers like here.....

No matter where you are or what you are doing protect yourself at all times.....it's a very poor and desperate country and if someone (us) dissappears there no one even notices Thailand a lot more organized...spent a lot of time and learned a lot there - nothing could make me live there.....not a safe or nice place - but Some of the nicest people you'll ever know....

Karaoke there is a national sport....if you can sing and beat them at it you'll be a

mini-celebrity and there's a measure of acceptance and safety that comes with it....

My family there traveled with our own cooks and maids so were pretty hiso - been in some homes the size of small hotels - been a judge of talent contests along with local politicians (Manila & Angeles mayors) and entertainers so had it pretty good while under the family umbrella....but personal independent time/safe travel there by yourself difficult.....

There's more to the driving - you'll learn.....

Oh - 360 eyes on the roundabouts....

I'm not a timid driver by any stretch and hold my own there and have been lucky with no accidents.....It's not the country to have one in - especially in the outlying areas → really really not good anywhere....

Watch it in taxis or tricycles you ARE a target of opportunity....if you have no street smarts - don't go.....Also - get a driver if you go into Manila (few street signs) gps does help.....

Again → don't go there expecting it to be similar to Thailand....

Yep roads r not good. Food is worse. 2 things filipina are good at. Singing and lieing. Amazing liars. Whenever a thai lies to me i just laugh. Coz compared to filipinas ,thais are just learners. Lmao

They only think they can sing.

My limited experience of the Phils is that the traffic is worse in Manila than Bangkok, without the expressways.

Outside of the city the roads are poorer - I may be wrong, hence the above question... What are the roads like in your opinion ?

Right about the Manila traffic ... roads border fair to bad.....more rutted and washed out than pot holed like here......no women drvers - they don't feel safe so usually have a driver/bodyguard if no husband.....very few working traffic lights and at the ones that do work beggars knock on your body panels hoping you'll pay them to go away - then you get swarmed......they drive aggressive and it's mano on mano and much closer quarters betting who's fender gets the first edge.....They use their horn as constant signals to identify their proximity to you.....very aggressive.....roads are seldom lit and many bicycle riders because they can't afford a motorbike....the bicycles have no lights and fly at you from all angles.....I called them kamakazis....like a songtou they have jeepnies....if on a 4 lane road the two outside lanes will be clogged with them and the others snail crawl out when they get riders - some date back to WWII or the K war and are big and slow with drum brakes and aggressive drivers.....no tuktuks there - they drive motorbikes with sidecars and will spin on a dime right in front of you if they think they see a fare .... again aggressive... ..don't get in front of a bus there they simply won't stop - for anything.....they're told drive over/through and drive on.....they are not gentille drivers like here.....

No matter where you are or what you are doing protect yourself at all times.....it's a very poor and desperate country and if someone (us) dissappears there no one even notices Thailand a lot more organized...spent a lot of time and learned a lot there - nothing could make me live there.....not a safe or nice place - but Some of the nicest people you'll ever know....

Karaoke there is a national sport....if you can sing and beat them at it you'll be a

mini-celebrity and there's a measure of acceptance and safety that comes with it....

My family there traveled with our own cooks and maids so were pretty hiso - been in some homes the size of small hotels - been a judge of talent contests along with local politicians (Manila & Angeles mayors) and entertainers so had it pretty good while under the family umbrella....but personal independent time/safe travel there by yourself difficult.....

I'm not a timid driver by any stretch and hold my own there and have been lucky with no accidents.....It's not the country to have one in - especially in the outlying areas → really really not good anywhere....

Watch it in taxis or tricycles you ARE a target of opportunity....if you have no street smarts - don't go.....Also - get a driver if you go into Manila (few street signs) gps does help.....

yep agree 100% i was robbed in a jeepney by 7 guys with flick knives ( batangas knives )in Manila. I was fit then ,but they knew what they were doing. Street smart is right. Dont walk between a truck and a narrow area,if the robbers come from both ends youve got nowhear to run. Allways watch your back in public. Never give a peso to a begger cos youll be swamped by many more. If you go into a karaoke bar. Expect they will want you to buy drinks and theyll never shout you 1. Thais have manners. 5% of filipina have half a brain,and 1% are honest. The good thing about that is ,they are so easy to outsmart. Just tell them you love jesus and youll have them wrapped around your little finger. Dumb as dogshit.

Cheers Cobbler

yep agree 100% i was robbed in a jeepney by 7 guys with flick knives ( batangas knives )in Manila. I was fit then ,but they knew what they were doing. Street smart is right. Dont walk between a truck and a narrow area,if the robbers come from both ends youve got nowhear to run. Allways watch your back in public. Never give a peso to a begger cos youll be swamped by many more. If you go into a karaoke bar. Expect they will want you to buy drinks and theyll never shout you 1. Thais have manners. 5% of filipina have half a brain,and 1% are honest. The good thing about that is ,they are so easy to outsmart. Just tell them you love jesus and youll have them wrapped around your little finger. Dumb as dogshit.

Cheers Cobbler

That is true....NEVER walk in an alley - NEVER walk on the shady side of the street.....ATM only at the bank locations with guards in DAYLIGHT HOURS....never walk in shaded areas....stay out of the parks → full of street people drunks - pickpockets and ladies with laced drinks....Don't walk in enclosed areas......I've been triangled - 2 rear 1 stopper in the shade of a main street in broad daylight ..... Slapped away pick pockets hands......Been encircled by a gang of mini-thugs in training about 12 of the ages 7-12 .....Will never see the inside of a school but are honing their skills for adulthood - this was in a gated community → they filter in one by one then gather to rob the school kids and menace others → problem is as a farang there is no upside if you swat/kick at a kid and are seen by a local.....

Don't go to places like Pinatubo without lots of trusted company - the bandits there are real.....We call vendors/jet ski/beach chair here bandits but the ones there are genuine.....I wore shorts with interior zipped pockets within pockets but you still have to keep

your hands in your pockets when people crowd you...

If you get out and look you will see the mainstream expats there are about 3 rungs down the ladder from the mainstream farangs here and a good percent are the glad hand huxter types - seem to gravitate there....that's not meant to demean it just is what it is & there's a reason they settle for those living conditions.....You would not be safe to stroll around an outlying village there as you are here → your life will be inside your home, car, and known trusted places - you won't know the freedom you have here or good food....Don't wear any big jewelery it will be snatched off you or watched-followed for later targeting.....Not unusual for a driver to ask you to remove it so a smash and grab or snatch and grab does not take place....

Again - there are some lovely people there but it is mostly a sh'thole very poor 3rd world country - but it is slowly improving in some areas....get use to being stopped and the car checked for guns during elections and being patted down by the armed guards at the big stores and malls as well as a bag search.....

There's no ownership there either.....just a small side note - even with fil bloodlines - if you are in the United States Marine Corp they will not allow you to go there .......the country is considered too dangerous - and these guys are combat hardened/ready/trained → if it's not safe for them what's that make it for people like ourselves.....

Food for thought......

Edited by pgrahmm

Cheers Cobbler

That is true....NEVER walk in an alley - NEVER walk on the shady side of the street.....ATM only at the bank locations with guards in DAYLIGHT HOURS....never walk in shaded areas....stay out of the parks → full of street people drunks - pickpockets and ladies with laced drinks....Don't walk in enclosed areas......I've been triangled - 2 rear 1 stopper in the shade of a main street in broad daylight ..... Slapped away pick pockets hands......Been encircled by a gang of mini-thugs in training about 12 of the ages 7-12 .....Will never see the inside of a school but are honing their skills for adulthood - this was in a gated community → they filter in one by one then gather to rob the school kids and menace others → problem is as a farang there is no upside if you swat/kick at a kid and are seen by a local.....

Don't go to places like Pinatubo without lots of trusted company - the bandits there are real.....We call vendors/jet ski/beach chair here bandits but the ones there are genuine.....I wore shorts with interior zipped pockets within pockets but you still have to keep

If you get out and look you will see the mainstream expats there are about 3 rungs down the ladder from the mainstream farangs here and a good percent are the glad hand huxter types - seem to gravitate there....that's not meant to demean it just is what it is & there's a reason they settle for those living conditions.....You would not be safe to stroll around an outlying village there as you are here → your life will be inside your home, car, and known trusted places - you won't know the freedom you have here or good food....Don't wear any big jewelery it will be snatched off you or watched-followed for later targeting.....Not unusual for a driver to ask you to remove it so a smash and grab or snatch and grab does not take place....

Again - there are some lovely people there but it is mostly a sh'thole very poor 3rd world country - but it is slowly improving in some areas....get use to being stopped and the car checked for guns during elections and being patted down by the armed guards at the big stores and malls as well as a bag search.....

There's no ownership there either....

Dont change money in street money changes. Ive been ripped off . Offered a really good change rate. Ended up losing a few thousand pesos. Phillipinos have amazing tricks. They are amazing liars too. Ive been 20 times and lived there twice. Believe me,I know.

Yep roads r not good. Food is worse. 2 things filipina are good at. Singing and lieing. Amazing liars. Whenever a thai lies to me i just laugh. Coz compared to filipinas ,thais are just learners. Lmao

They only think they can sing.

hahaha thats what my son says

Cheers Cobbler

There's no ownership there either....

Dont change money in street money changes. Ive been ripped off . Offered a really good change rate. Ended up losing a few thousand pesos. Phillipinos have amazing tricks. They are amazing liars too. Ive been 20 times and lived there twice. Believe me,I know.

Cobbler → I hope people listen to our experience.....

Odd thing is if you meet a fila outside the PI you've usually found a good hard working loyal woman....But there - whole 'nother world....

Travelled to many countries but Manila probably tops the list where I felt most threatened, outdoing Mexico and New York City in the mid 80's. Attempted scam within 10 mins of leaving the hotel in the morning ( I researched a lot before going there!).

You can be walking at 10:00 am and almost sense crossing an invisible line where once you felt safe and where you felt your life was suddenly at risk and backtrack quickly.

On the plus side they have some of the most beautiful islands once you get out of the big cities but still not totally safe.

Pgrahmm yes true .

I think a lot comes down to survival.theyv had 200 years of catholic training. What do you expect when the 1st experience a people have with foreigners is when the Spanish came to them with a sword in 1 hand and a bible in the other. Said to them,which 1 do you want ,basically. The catholic church still to this day controls the media. So they are completely brainwashed by the catholic church.