METV.possible solution.wanted 4 Australians

ozzieovaseas

With the pending change in availability of DE visa for us in Thailand (under 50, not married) im wanting to test the water

on the following idea.

Obviously, not thought it out fully, but as is the nature of this forum will soon find out if at all possible and all

the pitfalls.

Basically, the idea is to get another 3 reliable foreigners to share the initial and yearly costs of securing and renting a residential

apartment abroad.

The idea is to have 4 parties who want to spend 9 months in Thailand and stay at an apartment in Australia for the other 3 months.

I am assuming the worst, in that this new METV will not be available to us in bordering countries, so a trip abroad for 3 months

would solve a few of the requirements (as we know so far anyway)

Of course, such an idea would limit the destination and citizenship of the players. In this case Perth, Australia, for

reasons obviously i am Aussie myself.

Also: Perth is only a 7 hour flight, can fly starting from 10k baht one way.

I also have relatives living there who could assist in finding/securing a place and helping with the lease provisions etc.

Before everyone goes rabid with flaming, i am proposing this for 2 other possible people i know well (aussies) but havent mentioned

anything as the whole thing is just a thought at this stage

Any ideas/ comments ?

Could perhaps work but not for me!

When I visit Perth I stay with my son who is a newly minted Australian with a UK passport in addition to the new Aus. passport !

You have got it made then. Im sure you find Perth a great destination for trips to and from Asia.

I fear my idea would be near on impossible if you were looking to rent through an agent. They want 100% scrutiny of who was to stay and with availability

its tough market to crack into. Not sure owners would be to keen on the idea either.

However, I have an aunt who is a retired real estate agent. If i was to go any further, she would be the first to talk to

as she may have some old contacts or property owners she knows well.

still, maybe to much of a risk for whos name appears on the papers...that being me! probably best to do it like you and

rent a room at rellos place for 3 months

Correct.

I enjoy Perth and always have a good time when visiting!

However , beware the costs in Perth! Expensive!

Yes i hear you there. From my experience, everywhere is Aus is dead expensive. And now i hear Turnbull is proposing lifting the

GST another 5 percent!

Actually i was just thinking, as far as my idea goes, there may be Aussies staying in Thailand who rent their properties in Aus.

If this new system requires long-stayers to return home every 8 months to get a fresh visa this could work for property owners.

Stay at your own place for 3 months and rent "off the books" to 3 other trusted parties for 9 months?

It would be otherwise out of the question to live in your own place and have guaranteed tenants for nine months.

Its a thought anyway

We bought an apartment in Fremantle a few years ago when the AUD was $63 to US$. It is now about 72 and house prices are dropping so a good time to buy but it is expensive when you add up government stamp duty to buy plus ongoing service charges are a lot.

And they go up every year especially what they call rates from the local council.

We sold out a few years ago when the AUD was about 1 for 1.

Also Perth is a grey boring place. My wife thought there was a curfew after 6pm.

excuse me but i am not understanding this topic,but would like to.What is a DE visa? What is METV?...what is your objective "ossieoverseas"

Hi SBC,

The crux of the matter is that many people stay in Thailand long term on double entry tourist visa (DE) allowing six months per visa.

These visas were able to be applied for at Lao or other countries bordering Thailand.

The speculation that a new system (multiple entry tourist visa METV)

will replace the DE's these people are using now.

Some speculate that long stayers will only be able to get the visa from our own country (not LAO or bordering countries of Thailand) )

SO my idea (and purpose of this thread) is to see if it would be viable to have a base in Australia, as i may need to go back to Aus everytime i need a visa for Thailand.

As rental apartments in Aus are deadly expensive, the idea is getting 4 like minded parties to share a property and the yearly cost, with each party being able

to stay at the property in Aus for 3 months.

By which a 3 month stay outside of Thailand would seemingly satisfy the conditions of the new tourist visa to Thailand and suit people who want to live 9 months in Thailnd and 3 months in Australia every year.

why not just rent urself for 6 months??

anywhere will give u a 6 month lease

why would anyone BUY a place unless u can live there as much as you wish and they guarantee you can get a visa every year, UNLESS your married and/ or have kids?

First i should point out, i am not looking at buying. Been there done that, and it amounts to big losses if you plan to also rent while out

of the country. So its rental im looking for.

Secondly, from what i hear, it can be quite hard to actually get any rental appartment in some Aussie areas.

There can be a long list of people applying, hence many to choose from, and the real estate agents and property managers can

be real p****s.

Six month leases are few and far between and most owners prefer 12 months minimum, with option to continue on the lease without changing contract.

In this case it would be a 3 year plan and would convenient to have a place already secured to drop into 3 months per year,

instead of the hassle of having to find a new place every year, having to pay for storage of furniture and on and on.

Obviously the biggest factor would be trust, and being able to rely on the other partners paying up and doing the right thing.

I was going to do a costing of what it would cost 4 people to share an appartment for 1 year (each party having the place to themselves for 3 months)

but since theres been little interest shown, ill presume the trust issues involved make it a non starter!