Legal Separation In Thailand

toryboy1979

When reading another post elsewhere which I think should have been in this particular one I came across a post from someone saying that the OP who wants to divorce his wife because she has been a 'naughty' girl should just walk away but should get a letter from a lawyer saying they are separating.

My question is what good will this do and is it effective in Thai law as I understood there was no such thing as a legal separation in Thailand only that a couple can mutually agree to separate. If there is no agreement and the OP does ask a lawyer to write this letter for him and the wife 'comes calling' I cannot see that he can do much about it. The only possible use I imagine would be that she could not claim desertion, that is if a Thai court would acknowledge such a letter.

I'm normally wrong so interested to hear from others who might actually know rather than what they think.

• 1 month later...

No such letter in Thailand unless you want to start it.

Just move away and wait for a period of time to pass and then divorce same as in the UK. Can't remember whether it is one or two years though.

Of course you can always start divorce straightaway which will then entail big payments of money.

HL

Archived