Export bike from Thailand

NightRider70

Has anyone exported a used bike from Thailand? I like to ship it without de-registering it. Can I get a temporary export permit like the ones customs give out at the land borders? If exported permanently, what taxes applies?

Edited by NightRider70

I would have thought you pay taxes at the destination country. EG. In the UK quite a lot for a Thai built bike, there may even be duty and ADL too. A Wave costs £2,000 there, v £600 here, so I would check with the import dept first.

Have often thought of riding a Wave back to England (not surfing) but I would get arrested in the UK as I don't have a licence......be bloody good fun though.....sorry.gifofftopic2.gif

I would have thought you pay taxes at the destination country. EG. In the UK quite a lot for a Thai built bike, there may even be duty and ADL too. A Wave costs £2,000 there, v £600 here, so I would check with the import dept first.

Have often thought of riding a Wave back to England (not surfing) but I would get arrested in the UK as I don't have a licence......be bloody good fun though.....sorry.gifofftopic2.gif

The import part I know already. Many third world countries charge a tax on exports. Found this pdf which has a list of export taxes by country but the information is old, for Thailand it is from 1999. According to it Thailand had/has a 75% export tax on wood for example, if I read it right.

I would ride my bike back to Europe if it wasn't for all the "less developed" and communist countries on the way.

That PDFs is for some commodities mainly coming from 3rd world countries in order to make sure the poor still make some money. Protecting the locals from the multinationals.

I am sure that there is no export tax on a bike when taking out of the Thailand.

Edited by Nickymaster

The import part I know already. Many third world countries charge a tax on exports. Found this pdf which has a list of export taxes by country but the information is old, for Thailand it is from 1999. According to it Thailand had/has a 75% export tax on wood for example, if I read it right.

I would ride my bike back to Europe if it wasn't for all the "less developed" and communist countries on the way.

Don't believe all you read in the papers, the commies are not the problem, places like Pakistan are and the various war zones created by the west.

The other alternative if you want to avoid China and Russia is to cheat and take a boat from India to Iran, then Turkey, Greece...but things are changing there. So, I guess it is India-Africa now..for a while.

No, you are buggad, crate it up and ship it, if you want a mini adventure catch the boat with your bike on it.

Don't believe all you read in the papers, the commies are not the problem, places like Pakistan are and the various war zones created by the west.

The other alternative if you want to avoid China and Russia is to cheat and take a boat from India to Iran, then Turkey, Greece...but things are changing there. So, I guess it is India-Africa now..for a while.

No, you are buggad, crate it up and ship it, if you want a mini adventure catch the boat with your bike on it.

I had places like Pakistan in mind when I wrote "less developed" countries. The commies like China are a problem because you can not drive in with your own vehicle unless you are on a paid tour or something.

A boat ride bypassing the worst countries with me and the bike would be perfect. Do you know any such boats?

I had places like Pakistan in mind when I wrote "less developed" countries. The commies like China are a problem because you can not drive in with your own vehicle unless you are on a paid tour or something.

A boat ride bypassing the worst countries with me and the bike would be perfect. Do you know any such boats?

There are cruises that go from Singapore to Southampton, but I am sure there will be other freight boats and from other ports. Many container ships have berths for paying passengers, called "Freighter Cruises". It is a matter of finding an agent who can put you on the boat with your bike, obviously crated up.... the bike that is.

http://www.flightlesstravel.com/plan/cargo-ships/

My preference would be to go from Indian to Italy, through the Suez canal.

Contrary to popular belief being less-developed or Communist does not always mean "dangerous". I am sure if you went across southern Pakistan or even crossed the border at Kashmir and headed south you would not experience any problems. In "communist" countries the biggest problem is likely to be rules/paperwork. India is not communist but they love paperwork.

Active war zones are off course to be avoided but the rest of thew world is OK. The risk of being robbed or having your bike stolen is no more acute there than it is anywhere. Agreed i am not sure if i would go to Iraq at the moment but even ISIS are not looking for one guy on a motorbike!

You could cross into Pakistan and go across to Iran. I know someone that did that this year, don't think he had any problems in Pakistan. For me the only worry would be instability in Pakistan, the rest is fine, Iran is totally safe.

A friend rode across northern Iraq (Kurdistan) this year on his GS and that was completely fine, crossed over into Iran on the other side. Often what we see in the papers, gov advice websites, is way over the top. I rode for a few weeks in Kashmir in June and we had no problems despite warnings even from India army commanders in the area. I guess you can always be unlucky, but that can happen in most places...

Interesting question (and discussion about riding back to Europe!!)

I will not attempt to ride back, but I was considering what to do with my project bike (if I actually finish it before I leave). I have put so much effort into it I would not want to sell it (assuming anyone would want it).

I know that I will not be able to register it or ride it legally in Europe, but I was just thinking of crating it up and sending it back with my furniture.... at least I could use it to teach my kid to ride, out in the countryside, or even as a track bike for go-kart tracks.

I didn't realise that there may be tax issues getting it out of Thailand.....

The problem with riding back is that the political situation in the middle east is changing all the time of late and with everyone lying about everything, who knows what to believe. I will play safe and trust/believe no one.

Everything I hear about those who have traveled through Iran say it is a great place, Pakistan is a bit of a mixed bag though and to my mind not worth the risk, I heard about one guy who was denied entry. Thought it was Ed March, but may be wrong. However, you can't into Iran without going through Pakistan, unless you do a sea hop from India.

So if I were doing this I would go India-Italy, which I know is a kop out, but.........

Having done the flight back to the UK to death over the years, I thought I may get a cheap cruise this time for a change, take a bike, maybe not, but certainly investigate it.

Interesting discussion though.

I hear there are a few Chinese warships heading towards the Med? Hitchhike anyone? biggrin.png

There are cruises that go from Singapore to Southampton, but I am sure there will be other freight boats and from other ports. Many container ships have berths for paying passengers, called "Freighter Cruises". It is a matter of finding an agent who can put you on the boat with your bike, obviously crated up.... the bike that is.

That's a good link, thanks. A boat ride with bike onboard all the way to Greece would be more than sweet. Then make it a much shorter ride across Europe instead. My destination is northern Europe. There is one big issue tho, the price, they ask about €100/day so approx €2000.....

That's a good link, thanks. A boat ride with bike onboard all the way to Greece would be more than sweet. Then make it a much shorter ride across Europe instead. My destination is northern Europe. There is one big issue tho, the price, they ask about €100/day so approx €2000.....

That's about £1.50 then...that's not too bad, does it include the bike?

Do you share you cabin with the bike?biggrin.png

Yes, Greece, I forgot about that, fantastic, a ferry from Patras to Brindisi is a must.......about May/June time, got me thinking now.

Take a Honda Wave, £2,000 in the UK, £600 here.

• 2 weeks later...

That's about £1.50 then...that's not too bad, does it include the bike?

Do you share you cabin with the bike?biggrin.png

Yes, Greece, I forgot about that, fantastic, a ferry from Patras to Brindisi is a must.......about May/June time, got me thinking now.

Take a Honda Wave, £2,000 in the UK, £600 here.

That is excluding the bike. Did not check what it would take to bring the bike, too expensive anyway.