2008 Hilux Vigo EGR.

mafumo

Anyone with a 2008 Vigo with disabled EGR , also get rid of the DPF , and if so where did you get it done in Pattaya region .

Another thing did your fuel consumtion suffer , or improve.

The reason I ask is i have seen quite alot of info regarding disabling EGR and removing DPF as being beneficial to engine life .

Thoughts and experiences anyone please.

Cheers

M.

Any decent exhaust shop should do it for you. I had a Mitsubishi PJS EGR blanked off and the Cat replaced with a straight pipe a couple of years ago. The guy I used was OK but not in Pattaya.

To answer your first question, the mod made no difference to fuel consumption but helped low speed torque a little and reduced turbo lag. The Vigo does have the turbo lag like the Mitsubishi so removing the Cat may not make as much difference. None of these have DPF's..

Edited by Jitar

Any decent exhaust shop should do it for you. I had a Mitsubishi PJS EGR blanked off and the Cat replaced with a straight pipe a couple of years ago. The guy I used was OK but not in Pattaya.

To answer your first question, the mod made no difference to fuel consumption but helped low speed torque a little and reduced turbo lag. The Vigo does have the turbo lag like the Mitsubishi so removing the Cat may not make as much difference. None of these have DPF's..

One thing you forgot to mention is that when removing the cat on a PJS, it sounds like the turbo has been moved to inside the cabin... woooossshhh!! :P

One thing you forgot to mention is that when removing the cat on a PJS, it sounds like the turbo has been moved to inside the cabin... woooossshhh!! tongue.png

Had the cat removed and straight pipe fitted , not much of a whoosh .whistling.gif

The whoosh IMHO mentioned was more of a whistle on closing the throttle with my PJS, I suspect from the VG turbo spinning up. The 2.5L Mitsubishi engine was always noisier than the Vigo, your muffler is probably cutting the turbo noise.

Most turbos get a whistle from the high tip speed, some more muffled than others. Some older tractors just had a bit of pipe off the turbo and through the engine cover. They used to sing like a bird when ever the governor opened up.

Edited by Jitar

As for myself, I wouldn't be fooling with any of the pollution controls, especially visible parts. During the yearly pollution test for older vehicles, you may find that your truck fails and you will be looking for someone to replace those parts.

The EGR is just blanked off. The blanking plates can be easily removed.

The Cat can also be bolted back in by any exhaust shop if needed, assuming it is kept somewhere.

The annual checks I have seen have been so lax, I would be surprised if they detected either mod but you never know.

I blanked it of on our old Dmax 3.0 and replaced the DPF with a straight pipe.

Never was a problem with emissions tests.

Current BT50 3.2 I put an EGR blanking plate in it as well. Reduced fuel consumption from average of 8.2l/100km to 7.9l/100km. That was about 30,000km ago. No issues. It might have improved low end pick up a little, but it never really suffered from that anyway.

One thing you forgot to mention is that when removing the cat on a PJS, it sounds like the turbo has been moved to inside the cabin... woooossshhh!! tongue.png

Had the cat removed and straight pipe fitted , not much of a whoosh .whistling.gif

Yeah sorry,it got a little off topic - I was referring to what happens in a PJS when you install a dump pipe.

I disabled my EGR by blocking of one of the vacuum pipes that operates it .

Therefore not easy to spot as everything is left in place .

The CAT replaced with a straight pipe and the original I have kept, if it is ever needed again or if i sell the vehicle or what ever reason it may be needed to be fitted again and that is a very simple thing to do .

I have done about 600 odd kms with EGR disabled , also checked to see if it is not working and everthing is clean . I am happy with the fact that now my engine is getting as cleaner air as the air cleaner allows.

Fuel consumption is perhaps a bit better , but not a significant ammount.

The bottom end has increased by a small ammount , as has a bit more turbo noise from the exhaust .

All in all happy days all around .