What would you do if this happened to you?

telldem

Disgusting, beastly acts of sub human lynch mob, getting high on attacking defenseless people

in a frenzy feed attack of a pack of rabid dogs mentality, very common in Thailand, and where is the police?

would the lynching mob will be arrested? I guess not...

thais dont have much emotional control.

its either walking around smiling and laughing like a monkey, or being overly violent or vindictive.

two sides of the same coin and no real middle ground.

Happened to me many years ago while riding my little Honda motorcycle on Ekamai Rd. on the way work,

driving slowly, a women dashed across the road in front of me, and I nudged her slightly, and from nowhere, a bunch

of Thai guys appeared and grabbed onto me and the bike shouting indiscreetly, only after it turned out

that the woman was ok, they have let me go, I shudder to think what would have happened had the

women was injured..

Hit and run pisses people like motor cycle taxis right off , while the act is a disgrace , what the driver did was wrong.

Ah yes the motosy boys , the same ones who think its fine to smash your mirror as they ride to close to you trying to squeeze by and then "run"

Welcome in the land of smiles.

Tourism org:

Thailand features a modern capital city, and friendly people who epitomize Thailand’s “land of smiles” reputation.

They still manage to make millions believe this myth.

Chase, tear down/capture a hit and run driver, waiting for police: perfectly OK.

But this self-administered justice by a horde of scumbags: disgusting.

Hit and run pisses people like motor cycle taxis right off , while the act is a disgrace , what the driver did was wrong.

What did the driver do anyway? NonThais are more vulnerable because those that want to, can rouse the rabble with falsehoods and we wouldn't know why they were so pissed off. Certainly the aggressive <deleted> here don't seem to be injured; they are the same sort of people emboldened by the lack of action taken when they occupied Rajprasong junction.

Edited by CharlieH
Language removed

It still doesn't give them the right to beat the man within an inch of his life and terrorize his family.

This reminds me of the video of the Thai man beating his wife.

Well - we don't know what the victims did, we don't know what chances they had to stop and we don't know what the implications of whatever happened earlier will be for the scooter rider. The only bit of that which was clearly really nasty was the two stamps right at the end, and given that his head was on the ground and given the bloke had nothing substantial on his feet, that probably didn't do what it would have done in other circumstances.

I'm not trying to excuse any of it, but you see much, much worse in the West. In Glasgow the emergency eye infirmary in Gartnavel Hospital will constantly see emergency referrals for eye injuries caused through people being kicked with solid footwear. Lots of people wear solid boots, and a kick will produce massive fractures of cheekbones and skulls. Stamping with a solid heel kills and paralyses people all the time. Again, in Glasgow, the Southern General hospital has world-leading expertise in head injuries because people kick downed victims full power in the head repeatedly while wearing boots, often with steel toecaps. People get kicked to death on a regular basis.

So, yes, this is bad, but you are kidding yourself if you think it's worse than what happens elsewhere. The overall level of sustained brutality is much lower here, and there's a calculated element to it that suggests - in the minds of the perpetrators at least - that they're exacting a measured amount. In large parts of the western world someone would have had a hold of the downed victim's hair and be smashing his head repeatedly on the road. What you see isn't people out of control. It's people on an economic edge exacting street justice from someone who probably has much more than them, who treats them with contempt and who can pay their way out of any problems if the cops and courts get involved. The great John Locke said that in a state of nature people are entitled to defend their rights and punish offenders to a degree calculated to prevent the same offence happening again. Well, given the criminal justice system is it clear that much of what happened exceeds that? The poor live in something quite close to a state of nature. There was a clip yesterday on Thai News of a farang ("Jimmy") getting a quick beating for not paying a 150 baht bar tab. If it had been $120 in Cleveland, Ohio and the bar owner was struggling to pay their bills would people have had more sympathy for the person being violent? Because for a lot of people 150 baht is a serious sum of money, and to have someone treat you with casual indifference, and act as if they can just walk away from a debt, is much too much. I'd guess if I was riding a scooter bought with borrowed money in a tropical smog having a rich kid (say) damage the bike and flip me the finger might push my buttons.

Oh, yeah...in answer to the question "What would I do?", I'd have stopped earlier and paid for the bike to be fixed, or (once it had started) aimed right and floored it taking riders, bikes, central reservation and everything else.

The classic advice to cops and self-protection people is "rubber to road". You should always be able to see the tires of the car in front from your seat. That way you know that if it comes to it you can get out of the line of traffic.

Disgusting, beastly acts of sub human lynch mob, getting high on attacking defenseless people

in a frenzy feed attack of a pack of rabid dogs mentality, very common in Thailand, and where is the police?

would the lynching mob will be arrested? I guess not...

This is a horrible video. I agree with another in that I would never have attempted to flee in the first place. But this mob, this threat... this is a greater threat then a mob armed with weapons. With such a threat the choice to act violently to save yourself is clear. With unarmed people the choice is never clear until it is too late, but they are equally dangerous. In high threat protection we view such mobs as equally dangerous. Even there, when armed, it is a very murky area on when to act. There is no reason to believe anyone would have escaped with their lives after a few moments of attack. Can a person muster any defense to such acts?

However, if my family member was injured/killed by someone who fled, and I caught them, I do not know I would wait for the police.This is a good video to post, and think about. I am unsure the solutions are so clear. Well, if he stopped to render aid i think its probable he would not have been lynched. Maybe that's the only solution, but a terrible thing.

Well - we don't know what the victims did, we don't know what chances they had to stop and we don't know what the implications of whatever happened earlier will be for the scooter rider. The only bit of that which was clearly really nasty was the two stamps right at the end, and given that his head was on the ground and given the bloke had nothing substantial on his feet, that probably didn't do what it would have done in other circumstances.

I'm not trying to excuse any of it, but you see much, much worse in the West. In Glasgow the emergency eye infirmary in Gartnavel Hospital will constantly see emergency referrals for eye injuries caused through people being kicked with solid footwear. Lots of people wear solid boots, and a kick will produce massive fractures of cheekbones and skulls. Stamping with a solid heel kills and paralyses people all the time. Again, in Glasgow, the Southern General hospital has world-leading expertise in head injuries because people kick downed victims full power in the head repeatedly while wearing boots, often with steel toecaps. People get kicked to death on a regular basis.

So, yes, this is bad, but you are kidding yourself if you think it's worse than what happens elsewhere. The overall level of sustained brutality is much lower here, and there's a calculated element to it that suggests - in the minds of the perpetrators at least - that they're exacting a measured amount. In large parts of the western world someone would have had a hold of the downed victim's hair and be smashing his head repeatedly on the road. What you see isn't people out of control. It's people on an economic edge exacting street justice from someone who probably has much more than them, who treats them with contempt and who can pay their way out of any problems if the cops and courts get involved. The great John Locke said that in a state of nature people are entitled to defend their rights and punish offenders to a degree calculated to prevent the same offence happening again. Well, given the criminal justice system is it clear that much of what happened exceeds that? The poor live in something quite close to a state of nature. There was a clip yesterday on Thai News of a farang ("Jimmy") getting a quick beating for not paying a 150 baht bar tab. If it had been $120 in Cleveland, Ohio and the bar owner was struggling to pay their bills would people have had more sympathy for the person being violent? Because for a lot of people 150 baht is a serious sum of money, and to have someone treat you with casual indifference, and act as if they can just walk away from a debt, is much too much. I'd guess if I was riding a scooter bought with borrowed money in a tropical smog having a rich kid (say) damage the bike and flip me the finger might push my buttons.

There is always one on this site that tries to big-up what goes on in the West. Yes there is scum and bad deeds done everywhere, often involving alcohol, women, gangs, but this pack monkey mentality is ALL Thailand and can kick from the most benign scenario. Not many places in the world come close to the breakdown in human empathy that 'smiley' Muang Thai manages to deliver on a very regular basis.

I remember reading about this in the Thai news when it occurred. What sparked the attack was initially uncertain, but according to the Dailynews, the pickup truck had earlier accidentally knocked over a child and fled the scene without stopping.
However, a later article in Springnewstv went on to give more details and a totally different story emerged. The attack took place on 20/05/14 in Charan Sanit Wong Road in Bangkok's Bangkok Noi district and the three passengers in the car were followers and disciples of the local 'Nok' temple in Bang Waek. The driver of the pickup, 35 year-old Sophon Chinthai, had earlier got into a fight with Suraphot Chantiyanan (sp?), a 55 year old monk at the temple. The fight was sparked by the monk, who had a drink problem and was regularly violent, swearing at Sophon. The monk ended up hurting his back in the fight. A meeting was arranged later in the day at the police station to clear things up between the two, but the aggrieved monk had rallied round his supporters who were waiting at the station.
Sophon turned up at the station, but when he saw the waiting mob he refused to get out the car. They then started to smash the windows so he took flight in his car, accidentally knocking over some of their motorcycles, which further enraged them. They gave chase and took revenge in the manner seen in the video.

You have to wonder why the police didn't intervene.

Edited by katana

I once was having a cig on my lunch break in central London a few years back, I saw a guy pull a womens bag off her and she hit the deck quite badly... luckily I was tucked in a doorway and the robber did not see me... anyway I chased him a good half a mile and managed to boot his foot causing him to fall, as I did that I sat on him and a few guys from a beer garden also helped me keep him down till the police arrived, however one guy who also gave chase further behind me who wasnt too fast finally caught up and booted the robber in the head pretty hard.

A few people then held him back from doing it again as he was raged, I'll admit I wanted to give him a sly slap but I did'nt, although if that was my mum/wife/kid etc he would have got a beating yet to give someone a beating when they are tied up and your in numbers is out of order, but anger can take over. When the police arrived and had the women in the car, she gave me a big hug and cried on me, and I remember the police man saying to me 'did you give him a slap? not that I will be saying anything' and I said no but someone did boot him in the head lol, it was a great feeling that day knowing I had done some good and to be quite honest I was very proud of myself for plucking up the courage to chase someone who could have easily been armed and it probably made the lady feel good knowing people do care... all in all, I do in some ways believe in instant street justice as especially in the UK he would probably be out the next day, but yeah that was just messed up and way too over the top. I saw a video the other day of a thau guy kicking a women I assumed was his wife in the head, and cars just passing by... that disturbed me a little, and I do not think I couuld watch that, I think I woud have had to boot him in the head... its a difficult one. End of the day, if your going to do something to someone expect to be punished and karma will get you.

Cheers

well if it was a hit and run, I wouldn't have run.

Maybe the Driver knew this would happen as it does so many times in Thailand it's called mob rule. No excuse for trying to run away but now many more Thai people who see this video will try and get away. The people who attacked the driver are no better, they want jailing for attempted murder,

I once was having a cig on my lunch break in central London a few years back, I saw a guy pull a womens bag off her and she hit the deck quite badly... luckily I was tucked in a doorway and the robber did not see me... anyway I chased him a good half a mile and managed to boot his foot causing him to fall, as I did that I sat on him and a few guys from a beer garden also helped me keep him down till the police arrived, however one guy who also gave chase further behind me who wasnt too fast finally caught up and booted the robber in the head pretty hard.

A few people then held him back from doing it again as he was raged, I'll admit I wanted to give him a sly slap but I did'nt, although if that was my mum/wife/kid etc he would have got a beating yet to give someone a beating when they are tied up and your in numbers is out of order, but anger can take over. When the police arrived and had the women in the car, she gave me a big hug and cried on me, and I remember the police man saying to me 'did you give him a slap? not that I will be saying anything' and I said no but someone did boot him in the head lol, it was a great feeling that day knowing I had done some good and to be quite honest I was very proud of myself for plucking up the courage to chase someone who could have easily been armed and it probably made the lady feel good knowing people do care... all in all, I do in some ways believe in instant street justice as especially in the UK he would probably be out the next day, but yeah that was just messed up and way too over the top. I saw a video the other day of a thau guy kicking a women I assumed was his wife in the head, and cars just passing by... that disturbed me a little, and I do not think I couuld watch that, I think I woud have had to boot him in the head... its a difficult one. End of the day, if your going to do something to someone expect to be punished and karma will get you.

Cheers

I've chased and arrested a number of people, but it will go wrong at some point smile.png

My "it's all gone wrong" moment was when he pulled a razor blade covered in dried blood with tape around three sides - used for opening veins lengthwise, apparently - and the wife/girlfriend started screaming, "Don't hit him, he's a junkie". When I realised what she meant by that - she was worried about me, not him - I remembered an appointment I had somewhere else.