Anyone applied for a Canada visa?

I have booked an Alaska cruise for myself and my Thai girlfriend. It sets sail from Vancouver next August – so a Canada visa is required for my girl. The USA one is not a problem.

I want her to apply for the Canada visa as soon as possible so everything is signed sealed and delivered.

Does anyone know what the earliest is that she can apply before setting foot on Canadian soil?

I cannot find any reference to this on the Canada visa website or anywhere else online.

Are you Canadian? Visa for Thai women tightened in Canada quite a few years ago. 40 years ago had a real problem with thai women coming to Canada then going to America and not returning to Thailand.I would advise to get to the embassy and start the process as soon as possible.Could easily take more than 6 months if you are Canadian and can sponsor her. If you arenot Canadian and she is only gf good luck.

Are you Canadian? Visa for Thai women tightened in Canada quite a few years ago. 40 years ago had a real problem with thai women coming to Canada then going to America and not returning to Thailand.I would advise to get to the embassy and start the process as soon as possible.Could easily take more than 6 months if you are Canadian and can sponsor her. If you arenot Canadian and she is only gf good luck.

I am not Canadian. I'm UK.

I will be very surprised if she cannot easily get a visa for an Alaska cruise. We've visited numerous countries (for which she required visas) over the past 10 years.

Never been refused; never a problem.

If you and your Thai girlfriend stop over less than 48 hrs to transit , it seem there is a transit visa available. She must apply from Thailand.

I found the information there: http://gocanada.about.com/od/canadatravelplanner/qt/transit_visa_canada.htm

Thanks for this.

If all else fails, a transit visa might be the answer. Although we'd really like to spend some time in Canada while we're there.

I found and wrote to the VFS helpline. Hopefully, they will answer my question.

My wifes visa took exactly 12 working days as per their website. We applied last August. I can not state with all certainty when you should apply but do know they will provide an enter before date on the visa and if not used before that date it becomes void. All applications are considered under the multiple entry category as well.

I know you state it will not be a problem but be aware the Canadian Consulate refuses more visas than it grants.

Your girlfriend must prove without any doubt she will return back to Thailand at the end of her anticipated stay. Having a current US visa helps.

I would look at applying about 3 months prior to leaving. It does not take 6 months etc. For a TRV you will receive an answer back one wsy or another in less then 3 weeks. Still giving you time to appeal if not succesfull.

But if you hear back from VFS global I would proceed under their directions.

As a last piece of advice make sure you put forth a strong application highlighting the reasons your girlfriend will indeed be returning. We showed having children in school, her ownership of land and vehicles, ties to her parents etc. Just having lots of money in the bank is a bit of a negative. Having a good job with 2 plus years employment is good as well. If the employer provides in writing the time off and the return to work after holiday.

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Curious how you appeal a declined application for Temporary Resident Visa (Tourist)? Since Canada Immigration retracted themselves having VFS as only contact point for applicants, my Immigration lawyer in Canada says appeals can only be done through Canada Court order, and that just compels Immigration to review the application again. The applicant nor their lawyer have no input into the appeals or review process other than getting a judge in Canada to force Immigration to look at the application a second time.

You answered your own question or your legal team did anyway. It can be appealed but is not the most probable route to go. One can re-apply if denied. As the OP is confident of getting a trv there really will be no need for them to worry.

For those whose applications are not as sure it should be known there are options one can follow up with and that was the point I was making.

• 5 months later...
Here's an update:

My girlfriend phoned VFS twice and asked the question, "What is the earliest date I can apply for a Canada visa before my proposed arrival in Canada?" She didn't get an answer; I guess they don't know the answer. They just kept repeating, "We recommend you apply three months before the date of arrival," and wouldn't answer the actual question posed. They also did not reply to an email asking the same question.

So, rather than risk the embassy refusing to accept the application, she lodged it, with VFS, a few days ago, three months before the proposed arrival in Canada.

The problem now is that I had to go ahead and commit to the cruise. It's all booked and paid for.

That said, I can't see that she will be denied the visa.

I must say, of all the countries that she's applied to, Canada has been the most difficult. We gave up trying to apply online. I don't know if they make it difficult deliberately, it's simply a poorly designed website, or I'm an idiot.

And some of the information they require is way over the top, in my opinion. For example: they want to know if her brothers and sisters are legally married or are merely living with their partners. Note: her brothers and sisters are not applying for visas, just herself. They also wanted my name in Thai language! (I'm British.)

The transit visa won't work and a actual tourist visa can be easily applied

If she has uk / USA / Australia visa in her passport or has prior visits , the Canada multi entry is easy to apply and get approval on

Attach the confirmed cruise booking with her name on it and they will approve

I have done it before last year and worked with no hassles as she was already approved for B1/B2 on her passport and they used that as a basis for the approval

Edited by LawrenceChee

• 2 weeks later...