Aussies to be injected with Phuket virus

rooster59

Aussies to be injected with Phuket virus

post-247607-0-98989800-1446879670_thumb.

PHUKET: A Phuket strain of the influenza virus is being mixed into an Australian quadrivalent flu vaccine for 2016 following a record number of cases reported this year by the Australian Journal of Pharmacy (AJP).

The Brisbane and Phuket strains of the virus contributed to the 25,000 spike in reported cases, explained Health Minister Sussan Ley. To combat the increase from 65,000 cases to 90,000 cases, Australians will have free access to the upgraded vaccine through the National Immunization Program.

The 2016 quadrivalent vaccine is planned to cover two A strains of influenza (California and Hong Kong) and two B strains of influenza (Brisbane and Phuket), reported the AJP. B viruses are estimated to have accounted for about 62 per cent of flu cases in Australia in 2015.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Aussies-be-injected-Phuket-virus/62306?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2015-11-07

I would never let this stuff be injected into my body. I'm 71 years old and have never had a flu shot. And I haven't had the flu in forty years. Also during this time I've taken no aspirin and only used antibiotics two times.

I would never let this stuff be injected into my body. I'm 71 years old and have never had a flu shot. And I haven't had the flu in forty years. Also during this time I've taken no aspirin and only used antibiotics two times.

Until; three months ago I would have agreed with you. Similarly I had not experienced an attack of influenza for decades and did not take an annual influenza shots. But I contracted Influenza Type A in Phuket in July, diagnosed by the MIssion Hospital. I thought at first it was just a runny nose, slight fever and an occasional itch mostly on my back however It progressed to small dermatitis like irritations on my arms, hands, but most of all on my back I nearly went crazy trying to relieve the itch which was so hard to reach. After a period of pills etc, a doctor said i had an allergy and gave m another round of pills. I asked what is the allergy? He said I don't know but try this medicine it should help. How, I asked can t=you prescribe pills for something you have no idea what the problem is? No answer.

Another GP has started me on steroid injections, which type I don't know but they appear to be working. I intend to get an annual flu shot from now on. I'm 75.

Until; three months ago I would have agreed with you. Similarly I had not experienced an attack of influenza for decades and did not take an annual influenza shots. But I contracted Influenza Type A in Phuket in July, diagnosed by the MIssion Hospital. I thought at first it was just a runny nose, slight fever and an occasional itch mostly on my back however It progressed to small dermatitis like irritations on my arms, hands, but most of all on my back I nearly went crazy trying to relieve the itch which was so hard to reach. After a period of pills etc, a doctor said i had an allergy and gave m another round of pills. I asked what is the allergy? He said I don't know but try this medicine it should help. How, I asked can t=you prescribe pills for something you have no idea what the problem is? No answer.

Another GP has started me on steroid injections, which type I don't know but they appear to be working. I intend to get an annual flu shot from now on. I'm 75.

Are you sure about the influenza type "A" ?

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avianflu/influenza-a-virus-subtypes.htm

Such a case would cause a Public Health alert and a search for the source.