UK: NO VISA for Cambodian mothers to live with children and husband

geovalin

In 2012, the UK passed new laws that made it harder for non-EU spouses to enter Britain. Today, some Cambodian mothers have found themselves shut off from their own children

In August this year, 30-year-old Sophea bid an agonising farewell to her five-year-old son, who lives with his father in England. Being separated from the child she loves has become a bitter routine for the Cambodian mother who, like many others, is prevented from living permanently with her partner and offspring because of UK immigration rules.

Sophea’s son spent a month in Cambodia over the summer, but lives most of the time with his father in England, while his mother remains in Phnom Penh with the couple’s little girl, who is 18 months old.

“It’s hard being away from my son,” she said, at the Phnom Penh hotel where she works part-time. “When I hear that he’s sick, I want to feed him and take care of him. It’s very painful.”

read more: http://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-weekend/parents-feel-agony-loss-visa-purgatory

And the UK is going to allocate 10s of 1000s of refugees and migrants from Arab states to come to the UK and be housed and looked after by UK taxpayer money.

Absolutely disgusting. Europe needs to wake up. The leaders are killing it blatantly and without care

A similar case is going on in Thailand.

A woman who has been living with her husband for many years and who has a daughter is suddenly refused a VISA to Belgium to join her family.

In the meantime, Belgium is accepting a lot of Islam refugees to the country with open arms.

Totally disgusting.

I hope this whole thing will backfire against the politicians and change the politics as they are now.

Meanwhile Muslims from all countries and africans , come in without papers or much difficulty.

Yes, Odd isn't it. I don't really understand this. Britain has a weird immigration policy which is to let in all and sundry folk from the old empire while refusing citizens' spouses.

It can't be that difficult to design an immigration system that works for the folk already living in the UK and allows workers in to fill the places that employers say that they cannot fill with the people already living in the country.

What is actually behind it is, of course, our old friend, money. Business wants cheap labour, the cheaper the better as, other things being equal, low labour cost drives up profits, and this is why nothing is ever done about excessive immigration. Remember Cameron's cast iron pledge..."no ifs ands or buts, a Tory government will reduce net immigration to the tens of thousands, from the hundreds of thousands." Yhe pledge was made in 2010 as part of the election campaign. So what happened...as you would expect, immigration has gone through the roof from about 150K net to 300K net, despite the Tories being much more racist than Labour. Go figure out why the cast iron pledge didn't translate into action, and I'll tell you it is to keep wages in Britain as low as possible for as long as possible.

And the UK is going to allocate 10s of 1000s of refugees and migrants from Arab states to come to the UK and be housed and looked after by UK taxpayer money.

Absolutely disgusting. Europe needs to wake up. The leaders are killing it blatantly and without care

....well we did start all those wars and stuff...perhaps we should take some responsibility for the refugees fleeing our airstrikes... the Atlantic protects the US from the migrants but maybe other NATO countries should have had a better plan for when the bombs stopped dropping.

Shameful absolutely bloody shameful. I've had a taste of this myself. As a Warrant Officer British Army circa 1989 at immigration in Hong Kong, I was told by a pimply faced official that I had to jump through a plethora of hoops in order to trake my Thai wife to the UK and that my 15 years in uniform didn't count in my favour! It was only due to the intervention of my hierarchy that she eventually got a visa, after I had spent 3 full days at immigration.

A few years later a gaggle of Sri Lankans arrived at Heathrow and stripped to their underwear when they were refused entry. They were given accommodation, welfare etc. The UK has TOTALLY lost the plot.

Britain needs a coup now, before it;s too late.

Not going to happen. UK is in many ways a bigger police state than N-Korea. With their million of surveillance camera's , MI - branches, GSHQ,... Everything is under tight control....except for illegal immigration that is.

Meanwhile Muslims from all countries and africans , come in without papers or much difficulty.

Yes, Odd isn't it. I don't really understand this. Britain has a weird immigration policy which is to let in all and sundry folk from the old empire while refusing citizens' spouses.

Well after the last 300 years of colonial rule, the least the British could do is to give residency to the people of the countries they screwed in the past. Why should people not in the commonwealth like thais and cambodians be given priority?

It can't be that difficult to design an immigration system that works for the folk already living in the UK and allows workers in to fill the places that employers say that they cannot fill with the people already living in the country.

What is actually behind it is, of course, our old friend, money. Business wants cheap labour, the cheaper the better as, other things being equal, low labour cost drives up profits, and this is why nothing is ever done about excessive immigration. Remember Cameron's cast iron pledge..."no ifs ands or buts, a Tory government will reduce net immigration to the tens of thousands, from the hundreds of thousands." Yhe pledge was made in 2010 as part of the election campaign. So what happened...as you would expect, immigration has gone through the roof from about 150K net to 300K net, despite the Tories being much more racist than Labour. Go figure out why the cast iron pledge didn't translate into action, and I'll tell you it is to keep wages in Britain as low as possible for as long as possible.

Britain, like the Nordic countries, Germany, Netherlands and Belgium, usually tries to actually follow EU guidelines and rules.

British politicians, of all parties, now feel the need to be seen to be PC.

Romany gypsies, Moslems, economic African refugees, on top of EU citizens who have the right of free movement all swarm to the UK. And get in and looked after.

The promised Conservative's reduction in overall immigration numbers is yet another not delivered. So they attack easy non PC areas. Expat wives, British citizen non EU wives - and make them jump through hoops, through ever increasing bureaucracy administered by poorly trained low skilled sub contractors and at very expensive costs. That should do it.

The days when the government served the people and when civil servants actually knew they served the populace are long long gone.

As a British citizen I'm disgusted that my country is now run by a PC government, where people's rights are ignored or rode over; where bureaucracy rules, where civil servants are replaced with low cost outsourced contractors, some of whom struggle with the English language, and most importantly where there is total disdain and contempt for the citizens from those elected to govern on our behalf.

Well after the last 300 years of colonial rule, the least the British could do is to give residency to the people of the countries they screwed in the past. Why should people not in the commonwealth like thais and cambodians be given priority?

And Spain will do the same with all Latin America; and France with North Africa and Indo-China? And Japan with Korea and vast swathes of China?

Not forgetting the US with the Philippines?

Or perhaps we should all go to Italy as we were in the Roman Empire? And the Indians could go to Mongolia as Genghiz Khan ruled them?

Many many illegal immigrants sneaked in during the ethnic Indian migrations from East Africa. There was a very compassionate approach in those days. Since then they've taken the piss - arranged marriages to get cousins in, bringing elderly relatives across for holidays who just happen to need extensive medical treatment etc.

All spouses, whether Thai, Cambodian or any other nationality, of British citizens, should be given priority; providing the marriage is genuine.