Where to practice drums / meet musicians in Bangkok ?

anthobkk

Hi,

I've been here for a while and before moving to Thailand I was a drummer in France and loved to play drums for hours. Unfortunately now I'm living in a condo so this is is not possible at all.

I've been looking for places to practice but most of them where music schools and I needed to pay for a teacher and I really don't need one. I just want to play by my own and also meet musicians.

I am also looking for places (if any) where people organize some kinds of improvisation concert ( have no idea how to say it in English, in French we say "faire un boeuf").

Anyway, if any musicians around here could give me some advice it would be perfect. I'm now planning to get an electric drum to play it in my condo but the feeling is not the same.

Cheers

Network.

A bar with a band or public/street performance is a good place to start. Tell the drummer you like his style and you play a little yourself ..

Sorry to be patronising but I have to say it as it is, improve your people skills and you will meet more people. I'm a musician myself and had/met some of my best times and friends just by walking in somewhere and striking up a conversation.

Network.

A bar with a band or public/street performance is a good place to start. Tell the drummer you like his style and you play a little yourself ..

Sorry to be patronising but I have to say it as it is, improve your people skills and you will meet more people. I'm a musician myself and had/met some of my best times and friends just by walking in somewhere and striking up a conversation.

Are you referring to thai musicians?

Unlikely, in my opinion, to find any musicians willing to play with farangs....long term that is

Unless you are some iconic kinda guy ...you know..you look somewhere between Iggy and Cobain...lol

..and have some cool gear and rehearsing space to entice them

I have terrible experiences with that musicians myself...but I could be a statistical blimp laugh.png

Farangs who play instruments are few...I exclude those who dabbled in music a million yeras ago but have stopped

..also don't forget that it is illegal to perform if you are farang wai2.gif

It's funny how many Thai people are not aware of that last point as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are jazz inclined there is an excellent jam session, with both Thai and farang musicians, every Sunday afternoon at Check Inn 99. This is situated on Sukhumwit Road between Soi 5 and Soi 7.

Fatty's Bar, on Asoke-Din Daeng Road a few hundred metres west of Rama 9 MRT, has an open mike session every Tuesday. Nothing but the Blues, almost at the far end of Sukhumwit 55 (Soi Thonglor) has a Sunday night jam session.

There may well be many more venues, if anyone knows please post here. And you won't be busted for posting without a work permit.

Archived