Hard Drive Woes

griser

Just purchased a new motherboard with PCI express video (it's an Asrock) installed it and now my Sata drives are giving me a Blue screen error of 0x0000007b.

The motherboard i'm changing from is also a Asrock Sata type motherboard with AGP. I've since installed a IDE drive to boot from (this works fine) but this isn't the setup I want. I want the Sata drive to be my Boot drive.

I've even tried to use a clean sata drive to create a new windows partition on but once I install with the new disk drivers using the F6 option in windows xp install it tries to load windows but then on the second load of the sata drivers it asks to put in the diskette with the drivers even tho the disk is IN and fine.

Anyone got a notion?

Greg

I had similar problems, I did not get the Blue Screen error, the Windows XP installation was just not able to find the SATA drive.

After some trying, I found that the driver I was using was not 100% the right one, I downloaded the latest driver from http://www.sis.com and it worked with out any problems. (the SiS driver probably only works if you have a SiS chipset)

Also some idea, is to check the SATA connection on your mainboard. I found that from the 6 SATA connection I have only two are working with single drives, the others seem to work only in RAID settings (This is not fully tested).

Some earlier Intel chipset mainboards 865 chipsets seem to have problems with PATA drives and SATA drives both set as first drive. Never hear about a fix for that, even today with the latest BIOS updte the problem of 2 drives both as master on SATA and the PATA IDE interface will not work.

Overclocking, I tested some overclocking on newer PCIe mainboards, it seems that with some mainboards have problems with PCIe x16 if the settings are to fast. This maybe the source of the blue screen, also possible that therefore your SATA not works also, on most newer mainboards the SATA interface is connected to the PCIe bus.