Chiang Mai Police find Foreigner Hanged at Construction Site

Jonathan Fairfield

Chiang Mai Police find Foreigner Hanged at Construction Site

CHIANG MAI – Pol Maj Watcharapol Yomkerd, a duty officer at Muang police station has told reporters that the body of a foreign Asian man was found hanged with his hands tied in a guesthouse under construction in Muang district of Chiang Mai on Saturday.

The man, in his 30s, was found dead on the second floor of the two-storey Thai-style guesthouse under construction in tambon Phra Singh, said Pol Maj Watcharapol Yomkerd said.

Pol Maj Watcharapol Yomkerd said the man was hanging by a scarf around his neck from a beam and his hands were bound with a black leather strip with a chair was found fallen on the floor, Thairath Online reported.

Police reported that there were no traces of a struggle inside the house and there were no identification documents on his body.

-- Chiang Rai Times 2015-08-11

Police have yet to determine whether the man hanged himself or someone else killed him and later hanged his body to conceal the crime.

Times are changing.

Normally the police would have said "suicide.. case closed."

Now they start to think of other possibilities.

Why do the cops here always make such a big deal out of whether there are signs of a struggle or not?

If a killer or killers want to leave 'no signs of a struggle' they simply tidy the place up. Chairs placed upright,broken glass removed etc take 3 minutes?

Other than the sounds of struggles often bring the curious,

and being found trying up around a dead body is usualy not a good thing....

Police have yet to determine whether the man hanged himself or someone else killed him and later hanged his body to conceal the crime.

Times are changing.

No need. The Police reported that there were no traces of a struggle inside the house and there were no identification documents on his body that is more or less saying it`s a suicide of a John Doe.. Case concluded.
To be filed in the police freezer with the rest of the cold case files.

Asian, no ID. how do they know he was not thai

They don't, it is just in the English language Chiang Mai Times that the police have been misquoted as saying that he is foreign, in the original article on Thairath.co.th they say his nationality is unknown but he looks Japanese, Korean or Chinese.

Why do the cops here always make such a big deal out of whether there are signs of a struggle or not?

If a killer or killers want to leave 'no signs of a struggle' they simply tidy the place up. Chairs placed upright,broken glass removed etc take 3 minutes?

Police work, plumbing, shopwork, you name it, the job is unimportant. Thais like quick and easy. Quick job, all done, all finished, no great effort required.

After a look round to see if there are "signs of a struggle", the next step is to document the presence or absence of alcohol bottles and cigarette butts. From that all sorts of speculative guesswork under the guise of detective work can be made. e.g. 3 empty beer bottles = the deceased was depressed and killed himself. 2 different types of cigarette = 2 people. Quick and easy, job done.

I suppose that some people tie their own hands so that they cannot change their minds e.g. undo the noose.

I believe that people facing judicial hangings have their hands tied or their arms strapped to their sides, so that they cannot struggle with the warders and/or fiddle with the noose. The blindfold is usually a big black hood which is quickly slipped over the head before the rope is in place. The idea is to be as humane as possible. The guilty were sometimes unaware that a good hangman could do his work in a flash. They were dead before they even knew it. Hanging was an art and a science. The drop distances were finely calculated based on weight and the type of gallows, and records/calculations were kept and referred to.

"Real" Hangmen (like Pierrepont) used a special knot which breaks the neck vertebrae in an instant. They took pride in their jobs, and rarely failed. Hangings took place before dawn, so these guys had to get up at 2a.m. and even travel quite far, unless they took the train the night before. The hangman always had an apprentice or learner with him...sometimes two.

Lynchings or amateur hangings were often something else. The rope was not knotted in a professional noose, and the victim might be slowly strangled for hours or days, by his own body weight.

Eddy

I tried tying my hands together but it was impossible even if I used my teeth - you should try it. I then asked my wife to tie my hands together to see if I could put my head through a noose while standing on a stool with my hands tied together. Again, it was impossible. My wife then had a bright idea - why not get the police to help you.

I tried tying my hands together but it was impossible even if I used my teeth - you should try it. I then asked my wife to tie my hands together to see if I could put my head through a noose while standing on a stool with my hands tied together. Again, it was impossible. My wife then had a bright idea - why not get the police to help you.

Not sure the police do threesomes.

So, your wife has tied your hands together, you're standing on a stool and trying to pass a noose over your head. You must trust your wife.

Edited - thank you for the correction Loaded.

Edited by chickenslegs

Not sure the police do threesomes.

personal experience?

I tried tying my hands together but it was impossible even if I used my teeth - you should try it. I then asked my wife to tie my hands together to see if I could put my head through a noose while standing on a stool with my hands tied together. Again, it was impossible. My wife then had a bright idea - teerak, do you want me to kick the chair away for you?.

Edited by Jip66

So, you're wife has tied your hands together, you're standing on a stool and trying to pass a noose over your head. You must trust your wife.

'your wife...'.

Times are changing.

Just for a little while, then when they find that hard to do they will revert back to the old ways