Buying a scooter as a gift

B0nkers

Curious what sort of taxes, transfer fees and such may be involved if I simply want either buy a brand new scooter/bike for someone as a gift (no need to put it in my name), or also rules for used as well.

Do I or that person need a drivers license to own a vehicle in Thailand? I really don't want to put it in my name though, for no other reason than not knowing if I may later be responsible for something. Is there a way to do this without them knowing? Can I just put the keys in their hands and say 'Thanks for being awesome, here's a gift before I go'?

Let's assume the scooter will cost 25,000 baht for a used one

Or maybe 50,000 for something brand new.

What would my end costs be from lot to handing over the keys?

Thanks in advance

I bought a new motorbike a couple of months ago, I had it registered in the girlfriends name which required her to show her ID card. So you can't just buy a new one and register it in someone elses name.

When I bought a car a couple of years ago I put that in my name and needed to get a certificate of residence from immigration and show my passport to register it during the purchase process.

I'm not sure how it works for people from Burma, I guess it depends on the immigration status. I know someone from Laos who has a Thai ID card as a foreign worker but it's a bit different to the regular Thai ID card, my guess is that a card like this might be acceptable but this all depends on whether she's here legally or not and what visa type she has.

You don't need a license to buy a new one.

If you buy a new bike it will have a red temporary plate and you will then need to wait to get the full plate. This could take a month and might complicate the transfer process.

I bought one for the wife when she was my girlfriend. Just went into Honda dealership with her told her pick out a honda wave you want. She picked it our I paid. So simple. Donot tell the person you are giving it to it is for her. Just tell the person you are looking and want some help with advice. Which one she would buy? then buy it for her.

Hmmm, thanks. Sounds like it may be complicated or not possible depending on her status... which I have no idea.

What about any additional costs from the tag?

The idea is to talk to her employer, ask for 2 weeks off. Give her 2 weeks pay + spending money + some money for Mom, and a method of transportation. Thought a new bike might be nicer than a plane ticket. Not sure how long it would take to go home from Chiang Mai though, but if within reason and a welcome adventure in itself the bike would be nice to hang on to after too. Don;t want to buy anything too expensive as she will be left with any maintenance costs in the future.

Edited by B0nkers

Hmmm, thanks. Sounds like it may be complicated or not possible depending on her status... which I have no idea.

What about any additional costs from the tag?

The idea is to talk to her employer, ask for 2 weeks off. Give her 2 weeks pay + spending money + some money for Mom, and a method of transportation. Thought a new bike might be nicer than a plane ticket. Not sure how long it would take to go home from Chiang Mai though, but if within reason and a welcome adventure in itself the bike would be nice to hang on to after too. Don;t want to buy anything too expensive as she will be left with any maintenance costs in the future.

Traditionally a small golden necklace will do.Since clearly you are "new in town" = go slow.

Cheers.

Bonkers< I admire your sense of unsolicited chatity. BUT, has this girl driven a motorbike enough to be capable of leaving

CM and safely controlling the vehicle to arrive safely at her destination in Burma?

Navagating the police and military checkpoints and then crossing the border, may not be as straigtht foward as you or she expects.

I would certainly want to talk to people who have made this trip with similar documents prior to sending her on her way.

If I misunderstood the plan for the purchase of the motorcycle, I stand corrected on my lack of encourgement.

End cots cost of the bike and about 300baht insurance (3rd party compulosry and registration, (THe dealer will probably throw that in free). A helmet....the dealer will probably throw a good enough one to keep in the front basket rather than the head free.

All thais can ride a motorcycle. They probably went home from hospital when they were born on one,

IN case it makes a difference the person I'm buying for is from Burma

No matter who is the owner of the Bike at the end of the day, what matters is that she / he needs to have a registered address in Thailand. Thai just show their ID card which shows where (on which blue book) they are registered, foreigners need a "resicende certificate" from Immigration.

Bike & government insurance will be registered in that name, no matter who will drive it, so drivers licence plays no role during purchase, only when using it on the road.

Be aware. Once you buy the bike, it takes around one week to get the governement insurance (you can drive, but need the copies of the paid insurance and registration fees, around 3'000 Baht all in all) and only around 2-3 months later, you (the owner) can then go and get the white licence plate and the final ownership book.

Additional cost will be a good first class insurance, cost depend on the options you choose (death / disability coverage; third party coverage, theft coverage, bail-out money covered, number of drivers covered etc.) and best is to do some internet shopping arond or go to an insurance broker. Most of times, the motorbike seller will have their own single offer for first class insurance, BUT that will also most of times be more expensive or with lower coverage that you get outside of the shop. Add another 2'000 Bath to a good helmet and don't take the crap they offer for free in the shop.

Word of caution: I would not advise to travel outside the country while the bike still has the red licence plate, so wait till the transfer is fully completed with white plates, ownership book in your hand etc.

Just give her the money instead .I doubt that she will turn it down .

Shes not a bargirl!

Neither am I but I would be happy if you gave me some money...biggrin.png

Don't know too many bar girls who get 30,000baht......

How about Mig Mac?..Know what I mean, nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more...?licklips.gif

Nice Idea but I'd be careful.

How well do you know her?

If her status in Thailand is a bit suspect then she's open to exploitation from police. Especially near the border. I've read reports of police taking bikes from Burmese immigrants before.

Also what's happening in Burma at the moment? Might not be the best time for a trip home?

Most romantic thing you can do for a girl in Thailand? Buy her gold.

Thanks for all the replies.

Sounds like it's a bit of a hassle with the bike idea. Will look at flights or buses instead... not really sure at this point where her Mom lives. Was going to get the details from her boss who seems to have taken her in like family.

And... for the record, lol, this is not about trying to woo a girl by any means. Just someone who's been through some tough times in life (like.. hard-core serious), works 13 hours a day for peanuts, every-single-day. Just wanted to give her a little break in life and visit the family. Nothing expected or wanted in return. I would actually do this a couple days before leaving anyways, so there won't even be time for her to reciprocate or say thanks. Just a tourist one day and gone the next.

So gold or other ideas aren't really the point :)