nikon coolpix p500

is doin' my head in!

whenever i take a photo, the screen goes blank and the on/off button lights up green and the cam freezes..

now what's funny is - it's something related to the standby mode. The cam has an auto off setting which sends the cam in standby mode when idle.

you can choose from 30 secs, 1 min, 5 min and 30 mins.

Just after taking a photo, the cam freezes for exactly the time chosen in the auto off setting?!?!?! if i choose 30 secs, it freezes for 30 secs then returns to normal. if i choose 1 min same same. you get the drift.

it's doing my head in. anyone had a similar experience with nikon?

also any recommendations as to where i can get it checked. took it to a couple of big camera shops in central, they all said they do not fix, only sell new.

:(

You will probably need to send to Nikon repair centre, probably in BKK?... if anything like Canon or Sony, it maybe months before you see it again.... (even with warranty fixes! )

Usually the camera shop you purchased would help you ship.. (Big Camera Shop etc assuming you purchased in Thailand)

hi jimmy, thanks for the response.

i am living permanently on samui, so not going to bkk anytime soon. any electronic guru shop on the island? the big shops like big camera etc. won't even look at it.

i bought it in 2012 from home, but it's almost never been used. just took it out of it's box again a couple of days ago.

thanks again for your input.

i did already. anyone knows how to do a hard reset?? the reset from the menu only seems to restore menu options to default. no rebooting nothing.

when i take a photo, the screen flickers briefly to shoot mode again and goes dark black. The on/off button lights green and stays on. the camera freezes except the on/off button which can be used to switch off the camera and on again.

the time frozen is the time set in the auto off option - i.e. if it is set to 30s, the camera freezes for 30 secs and then the green light starts flashing on and off and i can 'wake up' the camera from standby.

thanks anyways :)

Couple of things I found in another forum where they had freezing problems and that was to change the SD card. Might try cleaning the contacts on the card or if you have another one try it. Also, remove the battery for a few minutes and try again.

//edit - also are you using high speed burst mode when this happens?

hi tywais,

i read that too re the SD cards but when i remove the card and try taking photos using the internal cam memory same happens. i tried the battery too.

it happens regardless of what mode i am shooting in.

IT guy where i work spent half a day dismantling and checking all buttons hardware etc. and he's stumped.

i guess it's gonna go back in the box for now lol until next time i visit bkk. i was recommended pantip plaza.

thanks anyways to all :)

Archived