What is the most spacious car for less than 600K baht?

vinmelo89

Hi guys,

I assume I'm at the car fans section ;)

I was wondering. I'm hoping to buy a car sometimes early year and I'm a bit confused about which one to choose.

Basically, what I need is a model that is quite spacious inside while not being a truck or a big car.

I happen to have 2 middle size thai dogs (+ wife and kid) and although I'll take them very, very rarely in the car, I still would like to be able to do so when I need to.

Would you know if there is a model that stands out by its capacity / volume inside while being a small car ? I hope I don't sound too nonsensical.

At some point I was interested in the Honda Mobilio but it's still a tad bit on the expensive side for me. If I could keep below the 550 000 B / 600 000 B mark I'd be happy. Automatic would be nice.

So good space inside is what I'm looking for.

If you have any idea of a model that could suit me, please let me know. Many thanks !!

Mark

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just realized what I said.. hahaha..."I happen to have 2 middle size thai dogs (+ wife and kid) and although I'll take them very, very rarely in the car, I still would like to be able to do so when I need to. "

.."
I still would like to be able to do so when I need to. " I'm talking about the dogs, not the wife and kids of course smile.png

The Almera took me down memory lane. It was like driving a car from the 70s. Tinny, gutless and drove like a tea trolly.

Seriously, take a few test drives before wasting your money on one of them.

You have to compare like with like. For the money and size, the Almera is the best there is... at least it was until very recently. Had mine 4 years with 70k on the clock and not a single rattle and has never missed a beat. The autos are notoriously sluggish but the manual easily cruises at 120 and has ascended the steepest climbs Thailand has to offer with 4 adults and baggage. The Ciaz may have now eclipsed the Almera, although worth noting that it is a little bit more money and Nissan is probably the safer option in terms of servicing and resale, so it's a toss up i'd say.

Anyway, since the OP is in need of something that can carry his dogs, a saloon is obviously not what he's after. The Ertiga would as you say fit the bill, although if you don't like the build quality or pulling power of the Almera, you certainly won't think much of the Ertiga. The Yaris is more solidly put together, although not much space in the boot. Considering something in the used market would open up options a bit. Good savings to be had on low mileage 1 year to 18 month old vehicles out there. I'd take a look at Taladrod if i were the OP. Recently bought an immaculate Avanza for almost a third of it's new price. Certainly wouldn't have been first choice of car but such a great price, couldn't refuse.

Hi, Thanks for your kind answer. I didn't know Taladrod, my wife is farang as well so i'll ask a thai friend to help me out with this. The reason why I didn't really think of of the second hand market is because I don't know much about cars and I heard that there were lots of scams with mileage everywhere so.. going for new made more sense.

If I could find an Avanza that would be great, lots of space, and not too expensive.. Second hand would be awesome if it were a good deal. I'll go to the toyota dealer over the week end and see if there are some second hand deals for that model

Thanks!!

In my opinion, you cant go wrong with Honda in Thailand. The dear network and standard of service is excellent, and Honda have the top resale value. For a family run-about, going second hand will save you a ton of money and you will be able to 'buy-up' in terms of features.

Look at unseencar(dot)com and you will find plenty of one-or two year old cars there at significantly cheaper prices than new models.

wai2.gif

Hi, Thanks for your kind answer. I didn't know Taladrod, my wife is farang as well so i'll ask a thai friend to help me out with this. The reason why I didn't really think of of the second hand market is because I don't know much about cars and I heard that there were lots of scams with mileage everywhere so.. going for new made more sense.

If I could find an Avanza that would be great, lots of space, and not too expensive.. Second hand would be awesome if it were a good deal. I'll go to the toyota dealer over the week end and see if there are some second hand deals for that model

Thanks!!

No problem.

You are right to be cautious about used cars. Bit of a minefield out there for sure.

With regards used Toyotas, if you want peace of mind, if not the best prices, you might want to check out Toyota Sure. No personal experience with them myself, but they advertise as checking and guaranteeing all their used cars. Plenty of Avanzas on their website in your price range.

Thanks much for your answers.

Around the 500 000 B mark there's the Toyota Yaris which is a bit cheaper than the Ertiga (yes, good car I heard). Any feedback on that car?

Thanks

The Yaris won't stand up to your space requirements. Have a look at the Avanza. I was looking at the Suzuki Ertiga and Toyota Avanza - the Toyota made it, and I am really happy about my decision.

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for your enlightenment. Avanza seems to be quite an interesting choice. On toyotasure (thanks for the link) I could find nice models 2012/2013 for 400K Baht with little mileage, <50 000kms, which isn't bad. Guarantee is key and Id' rather spend a bit more money and buy through an authorized car dealer that will offer some guarantee.

Can't wait to test drive it ;)

Have all a nice day!

new honda city is 575k i think

used can have for 500k. Very spacious for a mini car and not crappy like the rest

A jazz would be better as the OP has dogs. The floor folds flat, unlike the city. The avanza really isn't up to pay. I've be a passenger in one several time, albeit it was a few years old at the time. Even for an auto it was revving well over 3000 rpm at 100 km/h. It wasn't a pleasant ride. maybe a newer edition would be better. Worth a look.

The Almera took me down memory lane. It was like driving a car from the 70s. Tinny, gutless and drove like a tea trolly.

You must not be from the States. 1970s memory lane for us is all about torque, comfort, and massive size. Ah the good old days, all down hill since then.

To the original poster, since your budget is fairly small, why not go with a used car? They're very cheap in Thailand right now.

Thanks DavisH, yes the jazz is on my test drive list. I realized it had huge volume inside.. definitely worth more than just a look!

The good thing about the jazz is that it has a fold flat floor which is better for animals in the back. Not many of the hatchbacks have that. I would recommend a new one though, as used values are still quite high. If you don't mine a manual, the jazz is less than 600K, but I think the higher auto specs are more. I'd like to know your thoughts after you drive the jazz vs avanza.

There's quite a few out there that fit your needs. Look at the Almera. I have had one for 3 years. i thik Mazda makes something comparable but donot know the price.

I bought a Nissan Almera 12 months ago, only 6 mths old, repo by Nissan (there are shitloads of them), 370kbht. Very roomy in front and back seats, good sized boot, auto, excellent on fuel and have had many comments about the spaciousness and performance given the small motor. New 520k with everything.

Thanks!!

Also be careful:

1. That the car isn't stolen, or

2. Maybe still under finance (in other words it still legally belongs to the the bank or finance company).

I have a Honda Freed and I know you can get them used for less than 600k. It's nicer than the mobilio with power sliding doors. The rear seats completely fold up into the windows, and with the rear lift gate and low access, it would be super easy for dogs to hop up into with enough space for two medium/large dogs. It's compact and easy to drive in the city and gets great gas milage. Excellent all around car with great build quality and features. I'd highly recommend it.

Nissan Almera.

Have wife + 15year old and 4 Thai dogs between 18 and 25 kilo weight. Loads of space + large boot. 16+ km/litre. E 20 or gasohol 91. Eco car so low tax and insurance. My top of the range auto 2 years ago 480,000 THB. (new)

Edited by hugh2121