Wife wasn't allowed to sit Life in UK test

Hi

I'm in the UK with my Thai wife . She want's to pass the life in uk test , she studied and i booked the test for her . I made sure she had all the relevent documentation with her , passport , biometric permit , council tax bill with her name on it for proof of post code and a letter from home office with name and address .

So we set off this morning to the test center which is an hour away on the train . We get there and all seems fine , i'm told to leave the building as there is now where for me to wait . I find a cafe across the road and the next thing my wife turns up with a face like thunder . She was not allowed to take the test because she could not verbally confirm our postcode , she had forgotten it .

What i'm not understanding is there is no mention of verbal confirmation on the website only proof of postcode i.e. utility bill .

Have she got grounds for a complaint or does she just need to suck it up . It seems a bit harsh to me not to mention the waste of time and money .

Thanks

"What to bring to your test

You must bring the same ID that you used to book the test.

You must also bring proof of your address that has your name and post code on it. It must be dated within 3 months of the day of your test. This can be a:

• gas, electricity or water bill
  • Council Tax bill
  • letter from the Home Office with your name and address on it
  • UK photocard driving licence
  • bank or credit card statement

Bank statements must be an original statement printed by your bank. If you don’t usually get paper statements, you can ask your bank for one. These statements must be stamped by the bank branch that gave you it."

Nowhere does it state that the applicant needs to confirm the postcode verbally. There is no requirement to do so therefore I would complain. Just make sure all the postcodes match! The tests are subcontracted out to organisations that have no right to introduce their own rules. Contact the organisers of the test and be prepared to complain to the Home Office, just don't expect much to change. Unless people complain nothing will be done! As I see it the centre cancelled the test albeit at the last moment therefore unless they can justify the refusal to sit, you get your money back (perhaps!).

[email protected]

Edited by bobrussell
  • Like 1

The identity of the test taker is covered by photo id and address confirmation by letter. We have property in Thailand and I have to say that I don't have a clue as to the postcode but do know the address.

The centre only has the right to cancel a test if they have a strong suspicion that the person taking the test is not the one that has applied. Knowing a postcode does not prove or disprove identity. Actually we have a grand total of three postcodes (thanks to Royal Mail cock ups) so I often have to list them in order of likelihood!

There are no 'standard' security questions and I know my wife is one postcode behind me! It just might be an excuse for closer scrutiny of the applicant's paperwork. Nothing more!

Got reply to the complaint i sent

Thank you for your recent letter and we are sorry to hear that you were unable to take your Test.

We can confirm that is it the responsibility of the Candidate to ensure that the details they enter at the point of registering to take a Test, are correct. It is also the Candidate’s responsibility to ensure that they arrive at the Test Centre with the ID with which they registered, together with acceptable postcode evidence.

A requirement to verbally confirm all personal details contained on the candidates ID, (including postcode) forms part of the security checking process to allow candidates to take their Life in the UK Test.

We are afraid that we are unable to offer a refund on this occasion. Please note that this decision has been reached in agreement with the Home Office, it is final and we will be unable to correspond with you any further in relation to this matter

I personally wouldn't take it laying down, as Bob has suggested you should be prepared to take your grievance up with the Home Office, you will need to do a little research into which part of the Home Office actually contracted out this operation.

As one of the more helpful responses has pointed out, they cannot just cannot just introduce new "security procedures" on a whim, and there is no mention of a verbal acknowledgement of a post code on their website, your wife as proved she is the person who has paid for her test and has complied with their requirements.

I would send a strongly worded complaint to the Home Office adding that you are forced to do so as the supplier has stated that their response is final and they will be unable to correspond with you any further in relation to this matter, can be pretty sure that they have not discussed your grievance with anybody.

I intend to complain to the home office .

We have a meeting lined up with our local MP regarding another issue ( health surcharge ) which they reacon they can help us get some of our money back . So i'll speak to them about the life in UK test .

Once again i'll keep you posted

I would send a strongly worded complaint to the Home Office adding that you are forced to do so as the supplier has stated that their response is final and they will be unable to correspond with you any further in relation to this matter, can be pretty sure that they have not discussed your grievance with anybody.

Complaining to the Home Office is a complete waste of time since they just ignore the letters. I now have two formal written complaints that have gone unanswered. But I suppose you have to go through the motions if you intend to take a complaint to the Parliamentary Ombudsman.

Incidentally they also completely ignored a claim from the Small Claims court claim to recover £1000 in NHS surcharges. I was then free to ask the court to make judgement in my favour which will be another waste of time since they will ignore the judgement.

My MP doesn't seem to give a damn that the Home Office are a complete law unto them selves.

Take a look at this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34770135

The centre has completely created their own take on the rules. There is nothing to say the knowledge of a postcode is a requirement. Clearly if the centre has reason to believe a candidate is not genuine they are entitled to take sensible steps to request further confirmation of identity.

Clearly it makes sense for anyone to know their full address and postcode and failure might flag up concerns. If the centre believes fraud is taking place then it would be logical for them to contact the Police and or Home Office. If they don't think it is fraud why are they stopping someone taking a test?