Where to Buy Stevia?

DividendGuy

Hello Everyone.

I am interested to buy the sweeter "Stevia" in Bangkok. Does anyone know if it is available here? I have looked, but to no avail...can you help? Stevia, is a South American scrub like plant that the manufacturers turn into a powder form and you use it to sweeten coffee and other foods. The reason I want to use it in the place of sugar is that it is supposed to be healthy to use.

Thanks for your help.

Villa (near Sukhumvit Soi 4) have some Stevia products. I use Taikoo Stevia (twice as sweet as sugar) but I haven't seen it in Bangkok so I buy it it Singapore. While sweeter than sugar it's not cheap, about SG7 but as I use it very sparingly the price doesn't really matter to me.

post-118699-0-86572700-1447234138_thumb.

Edited by kkerry

It's available online, and delivery is usually quite quick - one such place is healthfoodthailand.com, though I've never bought anything from them. Also radiancewholefoods.com, which are prompt and efficient. As a tea, stevia sachets can be bought in many health food shops - and online, and I have come to like it both on its own and with a pot of black tea.

I too scoured most local Bangkok supermarkets for Stevia to no avail. I recently visited the US so I brought a supply back with me.

I was actually disappointed when I tried it. From what I had read, I expected a less pronounced "sugar substitute" taste than with such products as "Sweet & Low" and "Equal" but to me, it actually seemed to have a stronger chemical taste. It also seems much stronger than the others. I found 1/3 packet sweetened as much as a full packet of Equal or Sweet & Low.

I also read that Stevia breaks down under heat and is difficult to use for cooking.

Biorich at Villa. 50 sachets (powder) for 96 B

Steviosides 5%

Maltodextrin 95%

Stevia (yah wahn) grows easy in a pot.

I throw a handfull of leaves in the dough, when I bake sugarless cookies.

I have (not yet) tried to put some leaves in the ground coffee for my espresso.

post-80541-0-81592800-1447256723_thumb.j

post-80541-0-52820000-1447257037_thumb.j

Why make life difficult when it can be so easy? Stevia has an aftertaste, everybody knows that. I use since many years an excellent sweetener without any after taste called Kontrol made in LoS. Available at Big C, probably also at any western supermarket like Villa, Foodland. Check it out. You can easily sweeten anything with Kontrol. Honestly, I couldn't live without it anymore. Since it is liquid, anything can be sweetened with Kontrol. Coffe, tea, selfmade ice-cream, apple sauce, you name it. My wife makes super delicious, yummy yummy blueberry cheese cake ... with this sweetener.

post-5472-0-44207600-1447285026_thumb.jp

post-5472-0-21850100-1447285742_thumb.jp

Edited by Dario

Hi DivedendGuy,

I'm in Phuket & buy FITNE brand Stevia from Villa Market here, a pack contains 40 sachets. Occasionally, I can buy it at Carrfour / Big C & Tops here, so if you can locate these in Bangkok you might find them there.

I have used Fitne for a year of two now after being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, it is very sweet compared to sugar & has no calories, I use a very, very small amount in coffee or tea, unlike the previous poster I don't find it has any aftertaste whatsoever, perhaps he might be confusing other artificial sweeteners that contain Aspartame, etc.

I have recently returned from a couple of trips to Australia, I noted many supermarket products there that use Stevia instead of sugar, these appear to be slow arriving here in Thailand, but would imagine the market will pick it up quickly once it is known.

Good luck sourcing your need.

CANDA.

Thanks guys for all your replies. I will go have a look and buy some of these sweeteners and try them out that you have mentioned. I guess it is up to me to make a choice on what sweeteners fits my needs and taste. Now that I have just been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes I really need to get serious about using a sugar substitute. Again, thanks for your comments.

To kkerry.

Thanks for the report from Mahidol University. It has made a lot of difference to how I look at artificial sweeteners. And for all of you who haven't read this report please do as it will inform you so you can make a rational decision on sweeteners.

Again, thanks for your comments.

Stevia i tried, expensive and crap taste with after taste, Equal readily available every where in BKK, really if your got type 2 just drop all sweetness at least in coffee and tea, avoid most sweets if you have to drink soft drinks then zero or diet coke, if your a beer dinner you got to go light beer.

Good diet and exercise can reverse this condion.

• Like 1

Hello Everyone.

Thanks for your input and comments regarding "sweeteners" as I really don't know much about them. After buying several different styles of sweeteners and studying the information, I have finally decided on "Kontrol" as it fits my needs because of my health issue. Again, thanks for all of your input and comments.

Moderators, you can close this site as I am finished.

Why make life difficult when it can be so easy? Stevia has an aftertaste, everybody knows that. I use since many years an excellent sweetener without any after taste called Kontrol made in LoS. Available at Big C, probably also at any western supermarket like Villa, Foodland. Check it out. You can easily sweeten anything with Kontrol. Honestly, I couldn't live without it anymore. Since it is liquid, anything can be sweetened with Kontrol. Coffe, tea, selfmade ice-cream, apple sauce, you name it. My wife makes super delicious, yummy yummy blueberry cheese cake ... with this sweetener.

Kontrol contains Sucrolose which is a known carcinogen.

I use Stevia as I have Mesothelioma and try and steer away from sugars - which cancer cells feed on big time.

Sucrolose and Aspartame have serious health concerns. A little research will show you plenty of things to be concerned about.

• 1 month later...

Just for the record, I saw Stevia yesterday in a full size Max Value supermarket. Forget the brand name it was sold under but it did say "Stevia" on the front of the package.

Sold in the coffee/tea aisle, not the area where sugar is sold.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi GarbielB.

I went to Terminal 21, but could not find the supermarket you mentioned. Could you tell me more about the supermarket there? What floor is it on and what section is it in? To be honest, if I can find pure Stevia then I will buy it as it fits my needs because I don't put too much in when I use it,. so it is not bitter to me Thanks for your help.

To Hedgehog net.

I noticed that the bottle of stevia is crushed green leaves. Can you find it in its pure white form in Central Plaza or Top stores? Does the crushed green leaves completely dissolve when you use this type of stevia or is there a residue left in the bottom of your tea/coffee cup?

To Hedgehog net.

I noticed that the bottle of stevia is crushed green leaves. Can you find it in its pure white form in Central Plaza or Top stores? Does the crushed green leaves completely dissolve when you use this type of stevia or is there a residue left in the bottom of your tea/coffee cup?

No, they are not crushed. Those are regular leaves. (The can is almost empty that's why it looks that way.)

They don't dissolve they float/sink so no residue at all.

I mix fresh mint leaves with stevia dried leaves and they are free floating in the cup. You can chew on them if you want. :)

I tried CentralWorld and Central Chidlom with no luck(it gets out of stock way too fast).

I can confirm that Tops in Central Ladprao has stevia and a lot more(coconut flour for example).

• 2 years later...

I buy stevia in the plant form in Chinatown, it is great. I pay 50 baht for 100 grams. I also buy bulk jiaogulan herb (tea). I then use one tea ball of each and let them seep in a small metal container in water just boiled. I then make the a full liter of best ice tea you could imagine. I drink it like crazy.  I can't tell you the name of the herb and Chinese medicine shop I buy it from but it is on Chakkrauat Rd just across from a temple. It is well known though if you can show someone in the area the Thai word for stevia ( หญ้าหวาน ), they will know and direct you there. I buy a couple of bags of it every time I go over in that area and would never buy the powder stuff again. Good luck.

Stevia.JPG