Ferry to Phi Phi - is car safe on mainland?

thelongshoot

1. Yes you can park at the Krabi pier or the Noppharat Thara pier - why would your car not be safe? If you don't leave visible valuables in it you will be ok.

2. No cars or motorcycles are allowed on Phi Phi island.

3. Why would you want to take your family to Phi Phi - especially in high season? Have you been recently? Hordes of Chinese trippers by day and drunken kids at night with some of the highest prices in Thailand. Not much to do but drink and stand on the beach (standing room only when the tour boats arrive each day!)

4. Stay in Ao Nang or Krabi where there are so many more things to see and do. Take a day trip to Phi Phi to see what you're missing, or do a 4 island tour (much less time to get to than Phi Phi and less crowded if you take a private long-tail and leave before 8:30).

I did the trip last january, and I parked the motocycle inside the pier Rassada in Phuket island, when I got back after 2 days, the motocycle was right there standing in the hot sun. staff there at the pier told me it is safe, no worries about!

Your car is never safe in Thailand. Thai's get a kick out of touching and damaging other peoples property.

What a load of complete and utter nonsense!

'Thais' in general do not get a kick out vandalising other people's property, and are often far more respectful of others property than many Westerners!

Of course there are doubtless some young vandals in Thailand - just the same as in any other country. Simply make sure you leave your car in a well lit and preferably attended location.

weegee

Posted Today, 10:18

NOPE!!!!!....Car not safe left unattended for lengthy amount of time...

Even more nonsense.... For sure if you leave your car unattended on the side of the road for more than a few weeks it will likely be deemed to have been abandoned and parts may well start to go missing off it - exactly as the case would be in any other country in the world. If you are going to leave it for an extended period then just use your common sense, and as above park it somewhere secure.

Edited by Shadychris

There have been unusual deaths on Phi-Phi that the authorities made little effort to solve.

Which has what exactly to do with, or answers in any way the question :-

Ferry to Phi Phi - is car safe on mainland?

???

Are you perhaps another example of ThaiVisaness?

I left my Fortuner at the parking lot at the pier for a few days, it was fine...but that was in 2009.

I went on a half-day snorkeling trip. The 9.30am to 1.30pm trip covered the same places as the full day trip and cost just a little less, but avoided the hot afternoon sun.

Enjoy your trip

Thanks everyone for the replies, very much appreciated.

I guess my question should have been 'is there an alocated and guarded parking area'. I was more worried about driving down there and having to park on some side street for 3 days. If there is a dedicated parking lot for the ferry company then yes my car would be safe.

GSPaul - you have got me thinking about the entire trip now to be honest. Is it realy that bad? I must admit we went to Ao Nang for the first time last year, drove down from Hua Hin and we jumped on a boat that took us island hoping. I have no clue where we went but it was a range of islands maybe 45 minutes from Ao Nang and the main most beautifull islands were jam packed with tourists. It wasnt quite standing room only but it was so busy that it killed the charm. And that was October last year, low season. Will Phi Phi be much the same?

My family are staying with me for 2 weeks. The second week of the holiday we are going up to Chiang Mai, a place I know like the back of my hand, and have a villa rented there. Thats that sorted. Its just this first half of the holiday that I am struggling for ideas. They cant stay with me for the whole first week, my house just isnt big enough for them all so we need to get away somewhere to break it up. From Hua Hin you can drive quite easily to Krabi, Phuket, Samui. I have lived here full time for 12 years and I have seen the changes in Samui/Phuket for the worse, in my opinion. I lived on Samui for 2 years 2003 - 2005 and jesus that place is different now, properly busy and lost loads of its charm (again just my opinion) street signs in russian and a Burger King on every corner. The nice beaches that were once pretty quiet like Chong Mon are all packed with hotels and grumpy security guards. Its changed. I dont want to take them there. Same for Phuket.

I honestly cant think of anywhere else to take them, south of HH. Koh Lanta maybe? Not much to see and do there though and its a pain to get to with the ferries. Koh Tao? I have my 2 early 20's nieces with me so i would worry they would be murdered by a local. Im only half kidding there. Ao Nang? I went there for the first time last year and was a bit suprised at the beach - its not bad, but its not the tropical postcard I always thought Krabi was and there litteraly is bugger all to do there apart from jump on a boat and go see the islands.

So I guess we might as well just stay on those islands to make it easier, soit just has to be Phi Phi. I just cant think of any decent alternative....Although to be honest i am a bit put off now by what you said. But i cant think of anything better, from Hua Hin.