METV from London Embassy

Thanks!

That is good news

We are now aware of London's METV requirements.

There are no surprises but some will be disappointed.

I would not say it is good news, there are too many unneccessary hoops to jump through.

Why can't tourists get the METV in a neighboring country?

This is not going to affect me, but I feel for genuine tourists having to go through all this hassle.

Thailand just does not deserve these decent tourists who want to come here. A lot of them will just

go somewhere else, and it will be Thailands loss.

Thanks!

That is good news

We are now aware of London's METV requirements.

There are no surprises but some will be disappointed.

I'm afraid I see it as bad news!

My "employer" is actually an Umbrella company so I've no idea if that will work. I don't really want to show details of my savings accounts for 6 months either! Anyway, original statement (or printout with official stamp) for online accounts may be tricky!

Also, I may want to stay in a friend's place so item 7 causes problems. And items 2 and 3 seem odd - if you're sending a UK passport for the visa (item 2) then what's the idea of asking for it again in item 3?

If Thailand can find harder ways to do things, that is what they will do.

It is just their mentality to enjoy having power over people.

"Why can't tourists get the METV in a neighboring country?"

How many genuine tourists book their holiday from a foreign country ? I know that every holiday I booked when I lived in England, I booked whilst I was in England, as that is where I lived. I certainly did not go to Jamaica to book my holiday to the Dominican Republic, but according to your logic, lots of tourists would want to do that !

If you live in Thailand and "need/want" the METV to be issued in a neighboring country, then you are probably not on the correct visa. :-)

Edited by bigt3116
  • Like 2

I'm afraid I see it as bad news!

My "employer" is actually an Umbrella company so I've no idea if that will work. I don't really want to show details of my savings accounts for 6 months either! Anyway, original statement (or printout with official stamp) for online accounts may be tricky!

Also, I may want to stay in a friend's place so item 7 causes problems. And items 2 and 3 seem odd - if you're sending a UK passport for the visa (item 2) then what's the idea of asking for it again in item 3?

I assume the "umbrella company" is your own company? You should contact them about what is needed in your case.

I am sure there would be a way to to get a bank statement. You just have to try.

You may also find that one of the consulates will be more flexible in their requirements than the embassy.

I am sure if you prove you have a place to stay a hotel reservation will not be needed. In your case a short statement that you are living with them may work,

Number 3 would only apply if you do not have a UK passport.

Ubonjoe - thanks for "tidying up" the thread. I also see it as important enough to stay focused.
Not sure if you're familiar with umbrella companies in UK (?) but no it's not my company but I'm nominally an employee and without going off topic, yes I believe I may be able to enlist their help.
Problem in my case is that whilst I'm officially employed by them, I haven't actually done a lot recently. I'm sort of "early retired" as BuckBee said in #5 but I KNOW I don't qualify for an "O" - I've explored that option already.
So, in reality, my situation is closer to what BuckBee describes in #5 above and I agree with what he says ie "I had expected option of either employment proof or proof of funds. concept of both is bit over really."
Printing a a bank statement is easy, but the requirement is for an original one with an official stamp. Once again, as you say, one can enquire.
If they accept an instant access savings account then I think i can arrange that locally, otherwise it poses a problem which may or may not be surmountable.
With regard to the consulates, as you know they're only allowed to issue visas in person. Travelling to and from even the closest of them (Birmingham) would take me at least a day, whereas the Embassy accepts applications by post. Ironically, i live quite near London so could visit the Embassy - but in this case it wouldn't help!
What's also odd is that they want a confirmed Air Ticket before they'll issue the visa, whereas I'd typically have an option on an e-ticket, get a visa, then pay for the ticket. It looks like this won't be possible.
Summing up, would you not agree, that these requirements are way over the top for tourist visas? After all if the aim is to stop people using TVs to live in Thailand, that can be achieved simply by only issuing the METV in one's home country...and they've done that anyway!

What's also odd is that they want a confirmed Air Ticket before they'll issue the visa, and some of these IOs will delight in

refusing you a visa after you buy a plane ticket.They should not expect a confirmed plane ticket until they issue the visa.

Who is going to pay the money for a visa and then not buy a plane ticket?

• Like 2

What's the purpose of showing this 5,000 quid in your home country bank?

When you go to Thailand, it presumably won't go with you.

How much could an immigration officer ask to see on arrival, anyone know?

I would imagine that after showing 5000 GBP in a UK bank, you would have a debit card to use it in Thailand,

and then get stung for 180 Bt (or is it now 200 Bt) to use their ATMs.

On the single entry it says requirments .

A letter from a doctor/hospital in Thailand (for purposes of Medical Treatment in Thailand)

Do they mean a letter form doctor here ?

I think there will be a massive increase In ED visas, go into on single entry and study Thai or Hand to Hand combat.

What about the people that have long time Illness and unable to work or have had accidents and have money or an income off a different kind.

If you in employment and you take a 6 months holiday I sure your Job will not be there when you return.

In 2006 after the last Military Koo they were given Visa away free In Loa's to boost back Tourism, lets hope they do the same after realising that this is ridiculous requirements.

Regarding the bank statemnets in this link:

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/574

It says 'OR a print out with the offical stamp of the bank' so I am thinking all you need to do is while in the UK print out the bank statments and pop in a branch of your bank and get them to stamp the statements for you. Natwest have done that for me for other stuff in the past.

I get most of my income from being a UK landlord and all the properties are fully paid for and in my own name, so I do not have a company registration and am not an employee. I have an accountant in the UK who does my tax returns where I pay my UK tax fully and properly and can prove a net income in excess of £25,000 pa. Hoping this will be acceptable.

Supprised no one has commented on the 'photocopy of airticket to Thailand' I don't think I have actually seen a physical airticket for more than 10 years, all my air travel I have just got am emailed comfirmation and booking number so I wonder what they actually expect to see in this case?

Anyway personally I won't need one of these visa's until April or May 2016 so hoping things will have settled down a bit by then, if what has happened in the past is anything to go by they usually do.

Good luck all except the haters wink.png

• Like 1

Are we forgetting that the current administration's mandate is to attract "quality" tourists?

One might suppose that there are a great number of people who in Western eyes are not particularly wealthy, but who can afford to live on little and stay in Thailand for 6 months of the year.

Those are the types of farang with pot bellies and severe alcohol addition, that hang about Irish pubs, or sit on bar stools chatting to shrivelled conniving bar girls, and who for the most part, are contributing only a small amount to the Thai economy.

There are significant numbers of terrifically wealthy tourists from Russia, Europe and China and Japan who are seriously injecting massive amounts of cash into this economy, and for whom these new restrictions will be not be restrictions.

If you have money - these restrictions become merely an inconvenience.

If you don't - then they become a serious challenge.

Good luck to all!

There are also types of farang (with or without pot bellies or any sort of addiction) who just enjoy spending time in Thailand and whilst they might hang about in bars with or without shady ladies some of the time, also enjoy Thailand the country, the food, the weather and the fact that they can afford to do this without harming anyone. They're We're called tourists which is who the METV is supposed to be for!

Good luck to you too sir!

Agreed - I wasn't disputing that fact, rather pointing out that the METV and the current administration are trying to get rid of the pot bellied crowd who would not be considered tourists. I specifically named the pot bellied crowd as being the type that should be eliminated - not those who are just regular tourists.

I hear you, but it strikes me that they will throw the baby out with the bathwater. Other than perhaps a few gap year students, who do they imagine will take them up on this visa? The cost of the thing aside, there just seems to be so much bureaucracy and general fannying around involved in the application process that people downloading the blurb will just say "They want what? And then...eh? Shag that, I've got far better things to do with me time off. Look at this one: American fly drive for £799." But then of course that could be exactly what they want. We shall have this confirmed if the rules aren't relaxed in due course...

Both scenarios would work. I personally would just obtain a second SETV from Vientiane. It saves a border run and one extension and allows for more flexibility. Vientiane is a very nice city.

agree, getting a second SETV is a good idea.

any idea how many back to back SETVs are allowed?

Self-assessment will probably refer to the annual assessment you receive from HMRC. (not only self-employed receive these, by the way).

Company Registration sounds like a direct translation from Thai. It would only apply to limited companies not sole traders. So, I see no relevance for UK residents.

I feel unless they relax some of the criteria, they are not going to be issuing many of these METV's. The only people who can supply all the bits of paper will be people who don't require them.

Self-assessment will probably refer to the annual assessment you receive from HMRC. (not only self-employed receive these, by the way).

Company Registration sounds like a direct translation from Thai. It would only apply to limited companies not sole traders. So, I see no relevance for UK residents.

I feel unless they relax some of the criteria, they are not going to be issuing many of these METV's. The only people who can supply all the bits of paper will be people who don't require them.

Thats precisely the point !

Its not meant to be issued to anyone, but to get rid of long stayers.

Its like when they ask 200K in the bank for Cambodians, they obviously don't expect to sell any!

If needed more proof that the all thing is a scam:They said in the press release, the new METV was to "promote tourism from ASEAN", but it's not much easier for a Chinese to get one.

http://www.thaishanghai.com/upload/downloads/PDF%20file/2015.11.12%20Multiple%20Entry.pdf

Multiple Entry Documents Required

1. Passport or travel documents with validity of not less than 6 months and its copy

2. Two visa application forms completely filled out

3. Two recent photographs of the applicant (2 inches)

4. Valid permanent residence / residence permit of the People’s Republic of China

5. Current bank statement with minimum balance of 50,000 RMB (at least from the last 6 months)

6. Guarantee Letter (in English or Thai) from the applicant’s local guarantor, indicating the applicant’s name, purpose and period of the stay in Thailand and guaranteeing that the applicant will come back to China as scheduled.

6.1 For Company Employee: a guarantee letter from the applicant’s employer (the company the applicant works for)

6.2 For Self-Employed Applicant: a guarantee letter issued by the Sub-District Office (街道办事处) or the local police station.

6.3 For Student: a guarantee letter issued by the school or academic institution is required

6.4 For the Unemployed and the Retire: a guarantee letter issued by the Sub-District Office (街道办事处) or the local police station

7. Evidence of air ticket reservation to Thailand (first entry) 8. Evidence of accommodation reservation in Thailand (first entry)

"Proof of residence in UK, i.e passport".

Wouldn't you be sending your passport in to get the visa?

It's a redundant requirement for UK citizens unless you have 10 years on TV in it, in which case get a new passport.

It just says air ticket TO Thailand not out, just like previous TV no onward ticket required

I still think there will be an option for pensioners.

I have a feeling wording is going to change after they get over the 'face' thing.

A passport may be proof of residence in the UK.but in Australia,i am deemed a non-residence even though i was born there,am a citizen and have Ozzy passport.As you said,it's all in the wording.I can imagine some interesting arguments at consulates around the world,starting today.

Are we forgetting that the current administration's mandate is to attract "quality" tourists?

One might suppose that there are a great number of people who in Western eyes are not particularly wealthy, but who can afford to live on little and stay in Thailand for 6 months of the year.

Those are the types of farang with pot bellies and severe alcohol addition, that hang about Irish pubs, or sit on bar stools chatting to shrivelled conniving bar girls, and who for the most part, are contributing only a small amount to the Thai economy.

There are significant numbers of terrifically wealthy tourists from Russia, Europe and China and Japan who are seriously injecting massive amounts of cash into this economy, and for whom these new restrictions will be not be restrictions.

Good luck to all!

If you think it's cheap to sit at an Irish pub all day,you know nothing.How much do you rekon goes back into the Thai economy from those long lines of Russians and Chinese at 7/11 compared to lovely Issan girls sending money to the poorer parts of Thailand.

• Like 1

Why so many guys asking questions nobody here can reply to?

Why do you not contact directly the Embassy to have the answers?

PS. Don't forget please to come back here to post them for us smile.png

I have written a very detailed letter to my Embassy and they replied back to me giving me NO information about being 'retired'. I will write again next week.

Don't worry, once I do get detailed information, I will post it but at this time in Australia, the MFA has given them no guidelines it seems to go off and it seems like they are just making it up as they go along.

• Like 1

"Why can't tourists get the METV in a neighboring country?"

How many genuine tourists book their holiday from a foreign country ? I know that every holiday I booked when I lived in England, I booked whilst I was in England, as that is where I lived. I certainly did not go to Jamaica to book my holiday to the Dominican Republic, but according to your logic, lots of tourists would want to do that !

If you live in Thailand and "need/want" the METV to be issued in a neighboring country, then you are probably not on the correct visa. :-)

"Genuine tourists"...where is that specified? Maybe we should have also "genuine retirees". You know, those over 65, have done the full 40 years, not some barely 50 year old early quitters. Maybe also specify genuine "don't-know-anything-but-as-sure-as-hell-as-an-opinion" besserwissers. For people like you.

tourist

(ˈtʊərɪst)

n
a. a person who travels for pleasure, usually sightseeing and staying in hotels
That kind of rules out the digital nomads and illegal workers :-)
Edited by bigt3116
  • Like 1

Good luck to all!

There are also types of farang (with or without pot bellies or any sort of addiction) who just enjoy spending time in Thailand and whilst they might hang about in bars with or without shady ladies some of the time, also enjoy Thailand the country, the food, the weather and the fact that they can afford to do this without harming anyone. They're We're called tourists which is who the METV is supposed to be for!

Good luck to you too sir!

Agreed - I wasn't disputing that fact, rather pointing out that the METV and the current administration are trying to get rid of the pot bellied crowd who would not be considered tourists. I specifically named the pot bellied crowd as being the type that should be eliminated - not those who are just regular tourists.

There are plenty of us on "retirement" visas and "marriage"visas and we are fat.I haven't seen my toes for years.We are rich because we worked hard and made the right investments,which make us clever as well.My point is us clever,rich,fat bastards are going nowhere.Issan would collapse without us.All those skinny bar owners would go broke without us and lovely,young,nubile girls would be a further burdon on their family.

• Like 2

I am self-employed and have no idea what "self assessment and company registration document" means as it is gibberish. .

Presumably they mean a copy of your Self-Assessment Tax Return

If you are self-employed, de facto, you don't have any company registration documentation so that is a legal impossibility. Presumably, they will accept something on headed notepaper or some business card

I wonder how many people, even with well-paying jobs, have £5k consistently in the bank. I used to earn a reasonable income as a lawyer, and never had that sort of savings as I had business expenses, VAT and mortgages to pay which didn't leave me with much and I used any money left over to pay-off my mortgage early as I had a linked account so that would have exempted me from the requirements. I doubt many backpackers will be able to comply with these requirements if they are strictly enforced

What about trust fund kids who don't work (and with savings in a trust fund, means that they won't qualify for the £5k savings either)

Has anyone at the Embassy actually sat down and thought these things through?

Backpackers can come for 3 months,then move on.Come back again after a few months.This is the essence of backpacking.