METV from London Embassy

Thanks!

That is good news

We are now aware of London's METV requirements.

There are no surprises but some will be disappointed.

I'm afraid I see it as bad news!

My "employer" is actually an Umbrella company so I've no idea if that will work. I don't really want to show details of my savings accounts for 6 months either! Anyway, original statement (or printout with official stamp) for online accounts may be tricky!

Also, I may want to stay in a friend's place so item 7 causes problems. And items 2 and 3 seem odd - if you're sending a UK passport for the visa (item 2) then what's the idea of asking for it again in item 3?

Edited by VBF
  • Like 2

My "employer" is actually an Umbrella company so I've no idea if that will work. I don't really want to show details of my savings accounts for 6 months either! Anyway, original statement (or printout with official stamp) for online accounts may be tricky!

Also, I may want to stay in a friend's place so item 7 causes problems. And items 2 and 3 seem odd - if you're sending a UK passport for the visa (item 2) then what's the idea of asking for it again in item 3?

I assume the "umbrella company" is your own company? You should contact them about what is needed in your case.

I am sure there would be a way to to get a bank statement. You just have to try.

You may also find that one of the consulates will be more flexible in their requirements than the embassy.

I am sure if you prove you have a place to stay a hotel reservation will not be needed. In your case a short statement that you are living with them may work,

Number 3 would only apply if you do not have a UK passport.

I assume the "umbrella company" is your own company? You should contact them about what is needed in your case.

I am sure there would be a way to to get a bank statement. You just have to try.

You may also find that one of the consulates will be more flexible in their requirements than the embassy.

I am sure if you prove you have a place to stay a hotel reservation will not be needed. In your case a short statement that you are living with them may work,

Number 3 would only apply if you do not have a UK passport.

Ubonjoe - thanks for "tidying up" the thread. I also see it as important enough to stay focused.
Not sure if you're familiar with umbrella companies in UK (?) but no it's not my company but I'm nominally an employee and without going off topic, yes I believe I may be able to enlist their help.
Problem in my case is that whilst I'm officially employed by them, I haven't actually done a lot recently. I'm sort of "early retired" as BuckBee said in #5 but I KNOW I don't qualify for an "O" - I've explored that option already.
So, in reality, my situation is closer to what BuckBee describes in #5 above and I agree with what he says ie "I had expected option of either employment proof or proof of funds. concept of both is bit over really."
Printing a a bank statement is easy, but the requirement is for an original one with an official stamp. Once again, as you say, one can enquire.
If they accept an instant access savings account then I think i can arrange that locally, otherwise it poses a problem which may or may not be surmountable.
With regard to the consulates, as you know they're only allowed to issue visas in person. Travelling to and from even the closest of them (Birmingham) would take me at least a day, whereas the Embassy accepts applications by post. Ironically, i live quite near London so could visit the Embassy - but in this case it wouldn't help!
What's also odd is that they want a confirmed Air Ticket before they'll issue the visa, whereas I'd typically have an option on an e-ticket, get a visa, then pay for the ticket. It looks like this won't be possible.
Summing up, would you not agree, that these requirements are way over the top for tourist visas? After all if the aim is to stop people using TVs to live in Thailand, that can be achieved simply by only issuing the METV in one's home country...and they've done that anyway!
Edited by VBF
  • Like 2

It seems to me that in these days of close to zero interest rates on bank accounts, many do not keep anything languishing in a savings account. I know I don't. But what about investment accounts? I wonder if these should be accepted as proof of funds as well?

But then, again there would be the issue of a printout with the official stamp.

• Like 1

Regards the bank statement itself, I too have not had one for many years as I am 'paperless' withh my bank(s).

I would have to pay extra for an official statement from the bank.

With regards to the £5000 just laid around in my current account? Not a chance of that. My money is used for other things, yet I can afford to be in Thailand 6 months a year over winter using 2 Tourist Visas.

It seems that if I want to continue 'overwintering' here in Thailand I'd have to do a run to get a 2nd Tourist Visa.

Seems to me that Thailand is shooting itself in the foot because I'd not be so easily inclined to fart about getting a 2nd Tourist Visa from Laos or somewhere.

• Like 2

I cannot read the minds of the people at the embassy who wrote the rules to explain what they meant when they wrote some of the requirements. You questions can only be answered by them.

From seeing in the bank used for other visas I would assume that is a general term used. It certainly would not have to be in a basic saving account. It could be an investment account account showing the balance or anything similar.

I think the tickets is just another way to prove you are truly in the UK when you do the application by post and they apply it to all applications.. Even for normal tourist visas many embassies and consulates want to see a confirmed ticket to here. Others also want a ticket out of the country.

No indeed UbonJoe, regrettably, none of us can read their minds, and i wonder how much is actually mistranslated from original intentions anyway.

I’m approaching decision point and what I think I’d like to do is just not bother with the hassle of the METV, but stretch out a SETV as much as possible. So, I’d appreciate useful responses hopefully from people with the “gravitas” of you or Maestro!

Basically, do we agree that either of the 2 scenarios below would work?

My situation

British (UK passport holder), living in UK wishing to holiday (i.e. be a tourist) in Thailand for up to 5 months by getting just one Single Entry Tourist Visa (SETV)

Last left Thailand May 2013, so demonstrably not living there!

Scenario 1

Obtain SETV from London

Arrive Thailand, granted 60days stay.

Extend at Jomtien for 30 days – stay until nearly the permitted date

Same day border hop (aka visa run) to Cambodia, back to Thailand for 30 days on Visa exempt – will this bit be allowed?

Extend at Jomtien for 30 days – stay until the permitted date.

Fly back to UK – trip over – allowing for odd days, that’s 60+30+30+30 days, so just under 5 months

** OR **

Scenario 2 to stretch the total trip and include another country

Obtain SETV from London

Arrive Thailand, granted 60days stay.

Extend at Jomtien for 30 days – stay until nearly the permitted date

Trip to any neighbouring country for a period of between 5 days to 3 weeks then, back to Thailand for 30 days on Visa exempt – will this bit be allowed?

Extend at Jomtien for 30 days – stay until the permitted date.

Fly back to UK – trip over allowing for odd days, that’s 60+30+ (x days in another country) +30+30 days, so 5 months plus whatever spent in another country.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

"Proof of residence in UK, i.e passport".

Wouldn't you be sending your passport in to get the visa?

It's a redundant requirement for UK citizens unless you have 10 years on TV in it, in which case get a new passport.

It just says air ticket TO Thailand not out, just like previous TV no onward ticket required

I still think there will be an option for pensioners.

I have a feeling wording is going to change after they get over the 'face' thing.

• Like 1

Alternative to London? Brush up your German and go to Hamburg! Angela is still in her lenient period!

If I believe my trusted GG translate friend, no residency required. ''Just" 5000E.

Please correct me if Im wrong as my German is rusty

http://www.thaikonsulathamburg.de/merkblatt.pdf

The following documents are completely submitted
 filled visa application and signed (the exact address of mind. A property is essential given
be / accurate indication of house number, street, postcode and place)
 original passport (validity: 6 months on the date of each entry)
 copy of the first page of the passport
 1 passport photo
 copy of the travel confirmation: Hinflug- trip ticket / onward ticket
 Visa fee in cash
 children under 18 years: the request must be signed by both parents, in addition, we need a copy
the birth certificate and a copy of the passports of the parents
additional documentation
Category "TR-Multiple"
 Proof of mind. An interim or off. re-entry
(Airport, bus or train ticket, hotel reservation or visa for abroad)
 Hotel Booking of min. A residence in Thailand
 Proof of assets: bank statement with a minimum of 5,000 euros

Are we forgetting that the current administration's mandate is to attract "quality" tourists?

One might suppose that there are a great number of people who in Western eyes are not particularly wealthy, but who can afford to live on little and stay in Thailand for 6 months of the year.

Those are the types of farang with pot bellies and severe alcohol addition, that hang about Irish pubs, or sit on bar stools chatting to shrivelled conniving bar girls, and who for the most part, are contributing only a small amount to the Thai economy.

There are significant numbers of terrifically wealthy tourists from Russia, Europe and China and Japan who are seriously injecting massive amounts of cash into this economy, and for whom these new restrictions will be not be restrictions.

If you have money - these restrictions become merely an inconvenience.

If you don't - then they become a serious challenge.

Good luck to all!

There are also types of farang (with or without pot bellies or any sort of addiction) who just enjoy spending time in Thailand and whilst they might hang about in bars with or without shady ladies some of the time, also enjoy Thailand the country, the food, the weather and the fact that they can afford to do this without harming anyone. They're We're called tourists which is who the METV is supposed to be for!

Good luck to you too sir!

Agreed - I wasn't disputing that fact, rather pointing out that the METV and the current administration are trying to get rid of the pot bellied crowd who would not be considered tourists. I specifically named the pot bellied crowd as being the type that should be eliminated - not those who are just regular tourists.

Another redundant METV thread. All you need to know is that double and triple-entry tourists are no longer available. Trying to imagine that the METV will somehow replace them is futile. It is a selective roadblock, and a blunt instrument, designed to weed out people who previously stayed long term, by what was a perfectly legal option. The fact that it affects negatively people who desire more flexible accommodation is of no concern the the smooth-brains who drafted it.

No use crying about it. Take the hint, and look for a place who wants, and, more importantly, appreciated your business. Thailand is definitely not what it used to be...

The Knave - this thread is not about people using TVs to stay long term in Thailand! It's about people living in UK, using the UK embassy to obtain tourist visas to tour Thailand!

But I agree with your last sentence!

Frankfurt is also friendlier

http://www.thaikonsulatfrankfurt.de/multiple-entry-tourist-visa/

Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Travel Visas used multiple times.
- The Consulate General in the city of Frankfurt tourist visa to travel multiple times. (Duration 6 months): Multiple Entry Tourist Visa -.
The Ministry of Interior has issued a Ministerial Regulation No. 29, dated 28 July 2558 to increase tourist visa to travel several times by those interested can apply for the tourist visa. Use arrivals - Thailand several times. Period for 6 months from the date of November 13, 2558 onwards.
Documents for visa
- Visa application form The first color photo
- A passport valid for at least six months.
- Financing evidence Which is not less than 5000 euros back at least six months.
- Copy Flights This is a trip - out. Thailand than 1 times
- The details / evidence in Thailand.
- 150 euro fee
Note that a visitor's visa for the trip - the country several times to be allowed to stay in the country for up to 60 days / times can travel - and out of Thailand within six months (until expiration visa. )
Consulate General in the city of Frankfurt. Submission of entry visas And fee types to the attachment.