METV from London Embassy

Just one question, do you know the annual leave entitlement for the average worker in China?

coffee1.gif

If needed more proof that the all thing is a scam:They said in the press release, the new METV was to "promote tourism from ASEAN", but it's not much easier for a Chinese to get one.

http://www.thaishanghai.com/upload/downloads/PDF%20file/2015.11.12%20Multiple%20Entry.pdf

Multiple Entry Documents Required

1. Passport or travel documents with validity of not less than 6 months and its copy

2. Two visa application forms completely filled out

3. Two recent photographs of the applicant (2 inches)

4. Valid permanent residence / residence permit of the People’s Republic of China

5. Current bank statement with minimum balance of 50,000 RMB (at least from the last 6 months)

6. Guarantee Letter (in English or Thai) from the applicant’s local guarantor, indicating the applicant’s name, purpose and period of the stay in Thailand and guaranteeing that the applicant will come back to China as scheduled.

6.1 For Company Employee: a guarantee letter from the applicant’s employer (the company the applicant works for)

6.2 For Self-Employed Applicant: a guarantee letter issued by the Sub-District Office (街道办事处) or the local police station.

6.3 For Student: a guarantee letter issued by the school or academic institution is required

6.4 For the Unemployed and the Retire: a guarantee letter issued by the Sub-District Office (街道办事处) or the local police station

7. Evidence of air ticket reservation to Thailand (first entry) 8. Evidence of accommodation reservation in Thailand (first entry)

First off, the requirements aren't all that difficult and are in line with requirements for a Schengen visa.

Now I doubt this visa will bring in loads of new tourists into the country and I doubt the powers that be actually believe that.

Supporting could also mean making it easier for certain types of tourist to consider Thailand as their travel hub. And this visa certainly does. As many entries as you can make during the validity of the visa. A flexibility that the previous double and triple entries didn't offer.

Let's be honest here, the number of Tourists that previous needed double and tripe TV's was already very tiny. And for most of them, this visa offers more flexibility against a slightly higher price. And depending on their travel itinerary, this visa could actually work out cheaper as a triple (no re-entry permits needed, and a border run instead of an extension if those work out cheaper).

In any case the vast majority of Tourists in Thailand are already well served with visa on arrival, visa exempt, ability to extend and SETV.

Not that difficult?

According to the Chinese labor department the average Chinese salary is $4.755 per year. it means that an average Chinese must save 2 years of salary to have the required amount.

http://qz.com/170363/the-average-chinese-private-sector-worker-earns-about-the-same-as-a-cleaner-in-thailand/

Too bloody long!!!:)

Well, personally I think that employment requirement might be ignored entirely, unless this visa is actually geared towards repeat visitors to Thailand within that period rather than long term stay (which IS possible with this visa). There are precious little people that could take 6-9 months of work anyway.

I suspect that as long as you show the money, and a ticket out they will issue the visa.

I wouldn't buy a fight ticket before issue of a visa of this type.

I could put the paperwork together for this visa today. I just wouldn't.

But I'm not in the same boat as some.

I suppose it will work the same as with a Schengen visa, you make a provisional booking. Once you are sure the visa is stamped in the passport, you finalize the booking. In fact previously, when you went to collect your passport at the embassy, they required the finalized ticket as proof before they would issue the passport. Nowadays they don't anymore, they send the passport (with stamped visa) by post.

All on the basis of a provisional booking. Precious little people would want to gamble away that kind of money smile.png

Do Kayak/Skyscanner take provisional bookings...

I have no idea and don't really care, I just go to an old fashioned travel agency instead of supposedly saving 20 bucks or so.

20 bucks or so & convenance.

But agreed this visa is targeted at the old fashioned & not the modern traveler.

What's the purpose of showing this 5,000 quid in your home country bank?

When you go to Thailand, it presumably won't go with you.

How much could an immigration officer ask to see on arrival, anyone know?

I would imagine that after showing 5000 GBP in a UK bank, you would have a debit card to use it in Thailand,

and then get stung for 180 Bt (or is it now 200 Bt) to use their ATMs.

And if the debit card doesn't work for some reason?

Oh well, I guess it's a good year for the roses. wink.png

• Like 2

They're trying to stop farangs working and taking away jobs because unemployment is at 0.56%

0.56 percent. That's Thailand's official unemployment rate as of end-2014. It's among the lowest in the world, and compares with 9.4 percent in India and 6 percent in the Philippines in the region

Has anyone at the Embassy actually sat down and thought these things through?

Of course not, this is Thailand. They will react to any problems they make when it's way too late. This will probably be next year.

Lots of people are in for a big surprise when they turn up to collect their double or triple entry visa in the next few weeks / months for their winter holidays.

Changing a flight schedule is expensive if you buy a cheap ticket months in advance as most of these tickets are going to be non changeable, especially the outbound leg of the journey.

• Like 1

"Proof of residence in UK, i.e passport".

Wouldn't you be sending your passport in to get the visa?

It's a redundant requirement for UK citizens unless you have 10 years on TV in it, in which case get a new passport.

It just says air ticket TO Thailand not out, just like previous TV no onward ticket required

I still think there will be an option for pensioners.

I have a feeling wording is going to change after they get over the 'face' thing.

A British citizen would have a UK passport.

A foreigner may only have residence status, not a UK passport. An EU citizen for example.

So basically, as with the guidance from other Embassies, you can only obtain the METV from a Country of whom you are a citizen, or hold a registered resident certificate.

• Like 1

Tourism or Tourist is travel for pleasure or someone who travels for pleasure.

There is no time limit that defines this.

Thailand you could travel around and still not see it all in 2 years

O but then you become a long stayer.

how silly.METV great idea for Travelers requirements makes them useless.

• Like 1

Tourism or Tourist is travel for pleasure or someone who travels for pleasure.

There is no time limit that defines this.

Thailand you could travel around and still not see it all in 2 years

O but then you become a long stayer.

how silly.METV great idea for Travelers requirements makes them useless.

Which countries offer time unlimited "stay as long as you like" tourist visas ?

Many countries would have removed the types that are here, complaining, long ago.

• Like 2

The purposes of my opposition to the METv is creating artificial barriers that are overly bureaucratic and make no sense. And the stated reason for the Visa is to enhance tourism which is completely illogical. We all know the real reson for this Visa .While none of this impacts me as a retired person we need to stick up for those other people who become marginalized and caused suffering due to a poorly thought out program. Just because we have ours -Thailand does not belong to us. In the past the government has encouraged people of all ages to stay long term and people have settled down with families and commitment. You just don't kick these people to the side and say who cares.

Where does introducing the METV 'kick these people to the side'?

People who marry or have legitimate families won't be affected one iota...nor will the retired folk.

What are you going on about?

Edited by Mudcrab
  • Like 1

The purposes of my opposition to the METv is creating artificial barriers that are overly bureaucratic and make no sense. And the stated reason for the Visa is to enhance tourism which is completely illogical. We all know the real reson for this Visa .While none of this impacts me as a retired person we need to stick up for those other people who become marginalized and caused suffering due to a poorly thought out program. Just because we have ours -Thailand does not belong to us. In the past the government has encouraged people of all ages to stay long term and people have settled down with families and commitment. You just don't kick these people to the side and say who cares.

People who marry or have legitimate families won't be affected one iota...nor will the retired folk.

Wrong - I am 47 and fully retired. Not long until I am 50. So yes, it will/would effect me... my Embassy has not confirmed if a retired person that is fully funded can apply for a METV visa.

So long as your employer writes that letter you will have no problem.

Based on the requirements no letter from employer = no visa.

Wrong - I am 47 and fully retired. Not long until I am 50. So yes, it will/would effect me... my Embassy has not confirmed if a retired person that is fully funded can apply for a METV visa.

My apologies - I mentioned retirees in the context of Thaidream saying they would be kicked to the side.i.e. those already in Thailand.

You retired at 47 huh.

Too young for a retirement extension - oops bad luck.

Maybe go back to work if the METV is that important.

Retired young - presumably cashed up -maybe go the Thai Elite visa route.

Go the SETV or 30 day exempt route maybe?

None of these work for you?

I remember when I was 6 or 7 and I saw a beautiful shiny bike in a shop.

I nagged and nagged my dad to buy it for me.

He didn't

I got over it.

• Like 2

Well, personally I think that employment requirement might be ignored entirely, unless this visa is actually geared towards repeat visitors to Thailand within that period rather than long term stay (which IS possible with this visa). There are precious little people that could take 6-9 months of work anyway.

I suspect that as long as you show the money, and a ticket out they will issue the visa.

I suppose it will work the same as with a Schengen visa, you make a provisional booking. Once you are sure the visa is stamped in the passport, you finalize the booking. In fact previously, when you went to collect your passport at the embassy, they required the finalized ticket as proof before they would issue the passport. Nowadays they don't anymore, they send the passport (with stamped visa) by post.

All on the basis of a provisional booking. Precious little people would want to gamble away that kind of money smile.png

I have no idea and don't really care, I just go to an old fashioned travel agency instead of supposedly saving 20 bucks or so.

But agreed this visa is targeted at the old fashioned & not the modern traveler.

Because a modern traveler suddenly is unable to find the nearest travel agency ? Even modern travelers need to comply with visa regulations, one of which seems to be proof of onward travel, deal with it.

People applying for Schengen visas have been doing it for over the past decade, are they suddenly old fashioned travelers ?

There is an agency that Thailand is a member of called the United Nations World Tourism Organization. This might help explain why or why not certain aspects of any visa be implemented. Surely there are other legally binding agreements such as the agreements with G7 countries and ASEAN that can dictate what Thailand is allowed to do or not do in respect to tourism, immigration etc.

If you want some definitions of tourist and traveller look in Section II articles 9 and 10 (and possibly more) on this page:

http://www2.unwto.org/content/testing-collapsed-text

At the end of the day what Thailand does in respect to immigration and tourism is not always in an individual's best interest (or a specific group) but rather Thailand is working in an international framework to allow immigration, travel and tourism while at the same time Thailand must also protect its borders. Daily 1000s of people cross Thailand's borders for all kinds of reasons. There needs to be rules and regulations to keep some sort of control. Thailand is growing in the number of immigrants per year entering the country and I would guess these measures recently are an attempt to maintain control. Each of us will have to find a way to work in the framework Thailand gives us.

By the way, Thailand has a much higher rate of inbound immigration than do the surrounding SE Asian countries:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/one-chart-tells-us-where-most-immigrants-in-the-world-go-2015-11-12

I hope these links don't violate any rules.

Because a modern traveler suddenly is unable to find the nearest travel agency ? Even modern travelers need to comply with visa regulations, one of which seems to be proof of onward travel, deal with it.

People applying for Schengen visas have been doing it for over the past decade, are they suddenly old fashioned travelers ?

A modern traveler doesn't go cap in hand to their employer to obtain a travel visa.

Schengen, UK, USA etc unless being obtuse you would know would need to spend in the 100s of thousands to deport people.

You can't confuse the 2.

There would be simple remedies for Thailand to clean up. This isn't it.

My apologies - I mentioned retirees in the context of Thaidream saying they would be kicked to the side.i.e. those already in Thailand.

You retired at 47 huh.

He didn't

I got over it.

TE Visa - Not worth it for a few short years. If I was 44, I would do it

Working - Yes, I am Company Secretary to my parents business. I can get a letter there easily or I could ask one of my countless friends in business to draft such a letter saying that I do consultancy work for them via my parents business but in reality, it is much easier for me to show my indexed pension/trust fund and other funds in the bank.

I got over it.

Oh yes, believe me I will get over it and such a comment is silly in context.

Why should Thailand really care who stays long term as long as they are not employed. As long as a person can sustain themselves on whatever income they have that should be enough. Some people can sustain themselves with much less than others. In my mind they should still keep the Double Entry Tourist Visa and create in a new visa class called longer stay under 50 where one shows a stable form of income. you get stamped in 6 months at a time and don't have to leave until your extension is up. To me the more flexible you are the more people you will attract. The METV is a loser. It benefits very few and the requirements are absurd for a 60 day stamp.

I don't think the requirements are absurd at all. As I noted earlier they are on par with those of the Schengen Area. Any Thai wanting to holiday in that area needs to comply with the same requirements AND they do not have alternatives like free 30 days exempt stamps or easily obtainable SETV.

And its not a 60 days stamp, the visa allows for at least a stay of 240 days, possibly 270.

Anyway their country their rules. They have scrapped double/triple entries and it doesn't seem that under 50 visa is coming any time soon. I am not advocating people that have used TV's to stay year round should leave the country, in fact for people with children I would hope that they are somehow grandfathered in, maybe using less strict requirements for those visa types.

The rest should simply do what Thais need to do if they travel abroad, making sure you comply with visa regulations, including this METV if that is the visa you are after.

From what I read from you, you won't be affected.

There are still solutions for your specific case and you do know them.

So, if you don't mind and with all the respect, where's the problem, for you?

coffee1.gif

You retired at 47 huh.

He didn't

I got over it.

TE Visa - Not worth it for a few short years. If I was 44, I would do it

Working - Yes, I am Company Secretary to my parents business. I can get a letter there easily or I could ask one of my countless friends in business to draft such a letter saying that I do consultancy work for them via my parents business but in reality, it is much easier for me to show my indexed pension/trust fund and other funds in the bank.

I got over it.

Oh yes, believe me I will get over it and such a comment is silly in context.

I don't understand the complaint about that provision, given one can get refundable tickets.

Then the "pay if you use it" hotel-bookings - done.

Company letterhead letter - early retire types can come up with something.

Some cash in an account - ok; keep the $$ there for 6 months first - sigh, fine, whatever.

Apply in your home-country so we can check the documents - bit of a pain, but ok.

The only real problem with the METV is if one has to go flying 1/2 way around the world to get it. Now that would be silly. Don't they care about the environment?

Why should Thailand really care who stays long term as long as they are not employed. As long as a person can sustain themselves on whatever income they have that should be enough. Some people can sustain themselves with much less than others. In my mind they should still keep the Double Entry Tourist Visa and create in a new visa class called longer stay under 50 where one shows a stable form of income. you get stamped in 6 months at a time and don't have to leave until your extension is up. To me the more flexible you are the more people you will attract. The METV is a loser. It benefits very few and the requirements are absurd for a 60 day stamp.

I don't think the requirements are absurd at all. As I noted earlier they are on par with those of the Schengen Area. Any Thai wanting to holiday in that area needs to comply with the same requirements AND they do not have alternatives like free 30 days exempt stamps or easily obtainable SETV.

And its not a 60 days stamp, the visa allows for at least a stay of 240 days, possibly 270.

Anyway their country their rules. They have scrapped double/triple entries and it doesn't seem that under 50 visa is coming any time soon. I am not advocating people that have used TV's to stay year round should leave the country, in fact for people with children I would hope that they are somehow grandfathered in, maybe using less strict requirements for those visa types.

The rest should simply do what Thais need to do if they travel abroad, making sure you comply with visa regulations, including this METV if that is the visa you are after.

No intelligent person should compare Thailand with any Schengen area country when it comes to visa requirements. They're very different. Thailand is a sleepy backwater compared to most of western Europe / the USA.

Japan is just one such current example within Asia : http://www.japantoday.com/category/kuchikomi/view/thai-travelers-being-turned-away-in-record-numbers

• Like 1

No intelligent person should compare Thailand with any Schengen area country when it comes to visa requirements. They're very different. Thailand is a sleepy backwater compared to most of western Europe / the USA.

Japan is just one such current example within Asia : http://www.japantoday.com/category/kuchikomi/view/thai-travelers-being-turned-away-in-record-numbers

Intelligent persons read the requirements for both the METV and the Schengen visa and come to the conclusion that they are pretty much identical. If you think Thailand is in no position to apply these requirements to their METV, I guess the Thai themselves disagree.

And that is all that matters really.

• Like 1

A modern traveler doesn't go cap in hand to their employer to obtain a travel visa.

Schengen, UK, USA etc unless being obtuse you would know would need to spend in the 100s of thousands to deport people.

You can't confuse the 2.

There would be simple remedies for Thailand to clean up. This isn't it.

A modern traveler will need to comply if that traveler wants to obtain a certain visa, just as all non modern travelers. Why are we still having this discussion ?

If you cannot or refuses to qualify, other options are available.

Just as the Schengen area, Thailand wants to control it's borders, and the powers have decided that double or triple entries with almost no requirements are not the way to do it. And they have every right to put these measures in place.

Yes a modern traveler would have to comply, but just like myself, how many would want to.

"Why are we still having this conversation?"

I didn't realise I had been told.

I understand your point of view, Thailand can have whichever visa rules they like. As I said, I can blend.

Just asking the sensibility/reasoning of it & feel some people are being short changed.

I don't understand the complaint about that provision, given one can get refundable tickets.

Then the "pay if you use it" hotel-bookings - done.

Company letterhead letter - early retire types can come up with something.

Some cash in an account - ok; keep the $$ there for 6 months first - sigh, fine, whatever.

Apply in your home-country so we can check the documents - bit of a pain, but ok.

The only real problem with the METV is if one has to go flying 1/2 way around the world to get it. Now that would be silly. Don't they care about the environment?

If I would want this visa, I can apply in the Netherlands, the country I am a resident off. So I would have to go to Amsterdam or The Hague, hardly flying 1/2 around the world.

I understand that if you live in Thailand, you would indeed have to fly half around the world (providing you are a resident of a western country). It is what it is. And probably due to the document checks you already mentioned.

I guess they didn't design this visa for people already in Thailand, and I guess that IS exactly the point.

I am not saying people living year round on TV's in Thailand is bad, I am not saying they should kick them all out either. However I do believe that you still have avenues at your exposal for year round (or near year round) stay in Thailand, and I think with a bit of luck, a METV, followed by an SETV nearby and again a METV might very well be possible.

Yes it means a trip home every 330/360 days, but if I would want to stay in Thailand year round, with no other visa types available to me, that flight would be a small price to pay.

Edited by sjaak327
  • Like 2