Where is the best place for me to live?

P4K

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good suggestions, thanks guys

I think it will be very hard for you stay in Thailand for any amount of time as you are only 21 years old,not many visa's

for you age."ed visa" is the only one that comes to mind

Since you either won the lottery back home or come from rich family you can also look into the elite visa.

I actually come from a dirt broke family and no I didn't win the lottery lol, I'm in a unique line of work and I work very hard for my money.

And for the guy assuming my budget is 2k a month its not. For housing I said Im willing to pay up to 1k given that its a very nice place but all in all I think I wouldn't want my budget to be higher than 1.5k MAX and I prefer cheaper tbh. As for why I chose thailand I haven't fully made up my mind yet but so far I really like everything about it. I plan on visiting phillipines and maybe cambodia (as I heard it very cheap but to me it seems sketchy tbh). I want to check out tokyo and seoul also but not to live there as its pretty expensive. Also I've been travelling a lot lately so I kind of want to settle down for a few months so I can work more then continue looking around which is why I'm considering chiang mai for a few months.

As far as the girls go in thailand I always liked asian girls and didn't expect there to be many hot thai girls, but to my surprise there are actually lots of hot girls here, but yea for the people offering me relationship advice I have no intention of settling down with anyone and Im aware that these girls are only after your money haha

...I'm considering chiang mai for a few months.

As far as the girls go in thailand I always liked asian girls and didn't expect there to be many hot thai girls, but to my surprise there are actually lots of hot girls here, but yea for the people offering me relationship advice I have no intention of settling down with anyone and Im aware that these girls are only after your money haha

I wouldn't throw more money at accommodation than I needed to. Be hard-faced. I can't see any reason why you should pay more than "Johnny" - maybe a little less.

In the absence of knowing how you earn your money, or what you will be doing, one cannot really provide a proper answer. If you are a 21 year old interested in having "fun" and screwing around, the ideal destination will be different than if you want learn about Thai culture etc. Here is what I know.

What I do know is that healthy well adjusted 21 year old males do not waste time on Pattaya or Patong. Krabi, Samui, Phi Phi and Phuket are for short visits or if you have a job working in hospitality. There is no honest work to be had trying to sell time shares. Surat Thani is a boring hole. It's claim to fame is that it is where the autopsies for the region are conducted.

Hua Hin is an older demographic, but it has the advantage of being a notch above most other resort areas. It has two large university campuses and a smaller English language facility as well, so it's not as if doesn't have interesting young people. It has a bit of everything and only 3 hours or so by bus to Bangkok.

If you want to experience the real Thailand, then consider a University city in the heart of Issan, Khon Kaen. A relatively young city and full of activities for the under 25 segment. Udon Thani is a real provincial city and relatively boring. Despite the myth of Issan producing party animals, the place goes to bed at 10 pm. Surin is sort of dull too. Chiang Mai is interesting because it has a large number of medical facilities and it has universities. It rivals hua Hin with the number of elderly foreigners, many of whom seem to be cranky or constipated. However, they also have the most generous foreigners who volunteer so if you get run over, you are sure to have some elderly matron visiting to check up on you. I think its the only big city in Thailand where there is some semblance of foreign community organization. Don't bother with the south unless you like bombings and mayhem. The northern region of Chiang Rai is nice for a visit but not worth staying unless you wish to contract malaria, TB or fancy meeting western pedophiles. As for Pai, nothing to see but losers who need a bath. This then leaves Bangkok and its environs. A very busy, congested city. It's fine for awhile, but if you are an active 21 year old you will resent having blackened fingernails and black mucous after a short time out on the street. The lack of green space and clean air may get on your nerves.. Outside the busy zones and the city becomes more liveable.

Bangkok absolutely hands down at your age.

Great bars and clubs and uni girls galore....kid in a sweet shop springs to mind.....you 'll not be able to believe your luck when you wake up every morning!

Of course he has only one choice at his age. Bangkok.

Loads of youngsters here, some good pubs and clubs, educated girls..

It's a world city.

It was great when I was 21 many moons ago, maybe even better now..

Bangkok absolutely hands down at your age.

Great bars and clubs and uni girls galore....kid in a sweet shop springs to mind.....you 'll not be able to believe your luck when you wake up every morning!

Of course he has only one choice at his age. Bangkok.

Loads of youngsters here, some good pubs and clubs, educated girls..

It's a world city.

It was great when I was 21 many moons ago, maybe even better now..

At his age I left the provinces and moved to London...never regretted a minute of it.

Now I'm twice that age I still love Bangkok....its a fantastic city.

Some of the older guys here have a hard time understanding that a decent income can be made working just a few hours a day online.

I would suggest spending a month in Pattaya & one in Chiang Mai before making a decision. Half of your accomodation budget should find a pretty decent one bed apartment for a 6 or 12 month contract.

As for the visa situation. 60 day visa, extend by 30. Leave the country & obtain a further 60 day visa, extend by 30. 6 months done.

Chiang Mai & Pattaya. You can get a nice apartment in CM for 3,500-5,000 a month. In Pattaya you can find a nice place for 4,000-5,000 a month. I have had good times in both places. CM is not as excitingsmile.png , but for living as an expat it is better and the temptation to waste money at the bars is less.

Chiang Mai. Rent would be between $200 and $300 per month with a good nightlife.

wOt? blink.png I have never spent more than $150 a month for an apartment in Thailand. Certainly not in Chiang Mai(a very inexpensive city). Seems somebody's been taken in by the real estate agents sharkswhistling.gif .

Chiang Mai & Pattaya. You can get a nice apartment in CM for 3,500-5,000 a month. In Pattaya you can find a nice place for 4,000-5,000 a month. I have had good times in both places. CM is not as excitingsmile.png , but for living as an expat it is better and the temptation to waste money at the bars is less.

Are you sure about pattaya? I just stayed at view talay Jomtien studio 37 sqm and it was an older place with crappy cane furniture 8500bht with shit internet. Where abouts in Pattaya?

Edited by mcfish

Are you sure about pattaya? I just stayed at view talay Jomtien studio 37 sqm and it was an older place with crappy cane furniture 8500bht with shit internet. Where abouts in Pattaya?

Not that hard. Should be able to find a little air-conditioned Thai apartment for 4-5k a month. I stayed at a place on soi bongkot and the rent there was 5k a month. Nirun has a few units too at that price range if you do some searching. And there are other places scattered about town, mostly Thais living there and the odd farang expat.

Not that hard. Should be able to find a little air-conditioned Thai apartment for 4-5k a month. I stayed at a place on soi bongkot and the rent there was 5k a month. Nirun has a few units too at that price range if you do some searching. And there are other places scattered about town, mostly Thais living there and the odd farang expat.

I think we have different definitions of nice. I couldn't get out of the Nirin complex fast enough. I guess there are 5k condos out there but how far from the action and baht bus..

how long to you want to live in Thailand? 1 month, 1 year, 10 years, forever?

are you on permanent vacation? done with college? anyhow, i don't care...

try BKK for 10-years......start drinking more now, find 10 "girlfriends" and i'm sure it will all work out...

Bangkok without a doubt. My son lived there for three years, age 25 to 28. He would not live anywhere else in Thailand. You can get a cool condo for 25000 baht, you have enough money to visit other areas of Thailand, when you want and also pick up cheap flights to other Asian countries. Now I am female and 56, and I love Bangkok, Chiang Mai just doesn't have the buzz and excitement of Bangkok.

do you guys know where I can find good accommodation? (cheap and furnished but also decent). I usually use airbnb but I find thats its a little overpriced

If you cannot even manage to find an apartment or somewhere to live, i would question whether you are ready to live in a big city like BKK alone.

Get out onto the streets of the area you want to live, do a spot of scouting the area, seeing places, have an ask around etc. In most condos/apartments you can walk in and speak to the management company. At your price bracket i dont think many agents will be bending over to assist you so you may as welll just do it yourself.

At 21, BKK is ace, you don't need to be in Pattaya

BKK is a great city, cheap, lots of things to do, cheap food, cool bars and cheap bars

If you're thinking elsewhere then maybe one of the Southern islands? It all depends what you intend to do. Samui is big and has plenty of facilities. I am more a fan of the smaller Koh Pha Ngan. Your budget it won't be an issue anywhere really so it all comes down to finding a place you want to hang out

I can hang out in BKK for years, no problem but not everyone the same. You're a short shop to Pattaya if you really want to check it out plus not far from Hua Hin, Chang and Samet if you fancy a few days away

If not BKK I'd probably aim for Koh Pha Ngan, myself, partially as I know it quite well but it's a great island and plenty of farang living down there who will know the ins and outs, can get whatever you need and it's more relaxing

If you want big city - BKK

If you want beach town close to BKK - Pattaya

If you want decent city but more rural Udon

If you want mountains - Chiangmai / Chiangrai

If you want nothing but peasant rural plenty of places but learn Thai.

What do you want?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk