Condo Management Company Recommendations (Pattaya)

Can anyone recommend a good Condo Management company that can manage a large Condo (576 rooms) located in Pattaya? Good means competent, has verifiable satisfied clients in Pattaya, honest and reasonable cost.

There was another thread about this recently. Try a search.

I think that personally I would consider QPM (the largest) and WAM-RoongRueang. Both are Thai-run and charge similar prices, with QPM being the more expensive of the two. If you have more money to spare you could look at the likes of Jones Lang LaSalle but they do charge a lot more.

Stay well away from one-man-bands and be sure to get a list of other buildings that the company manages and go and have a close look at some or all of them. Dont take anything for granted and check everything yourself.

There was another thread about this recently. Try a search.

I think that personally I would consider QPM (the largest) and WAM-RoongRueang. Both are Thai-run and charge similar prices, with QPM being the more expensive of the two. If you have more money to spare you could look at the likes of Jones Lang LaSalle but they do charge a lot more.

Stay well away from one-man-bands and be sure to get a list of other buildings that the company manages and go and have a close look at some or all of them. Dont take anything for granted and check everything yourself.

Thanks for those 2 recommendations. Could anyone else provide recommendations? We really need some more alternatives.

QPM are employed at the condo where I live

They are very good with the major routines –For example:

1.Money

2. Organising general meetings

3.Keeping new building managers readily available to step in as retirees leave.

They are however very poor at organising and maintaining a data base of newly generated routines and lists of useful external suppliers.

For 2 years I requested a hard copy data base (Thai and English ) of such a data base to facilitate the smooth transition from the departing building manager to the new manager.

They finally came clean and advised me that they had no intention of introducing such a scheme

The JPM is a very arrogant man.

Up until recently I was the chairman of the committee. I requested, by email, an appointment with him. He failed to reply.

He is worse than 2 faced

My biggest concern relates to accounts details –should you wish to sack them.

It is all located at Bangkok-nothing on the local office computer. So will they supply all the accounts data before they leave?

If not then how can you sack them.

They will have you by the balls!

The law specifies that the JPM has to carry out tasks as detailed by the committee and the Rules and Regs.

QPM do what they want and pay lip service to the committee.

That said if your condo has a strong committee and the building manger is a super manager-then given that neither of these conditions change –then all should be ok

Does your JPM manager or do any of his staff speak English

If that comment was directed at me -then the answer is Yes!

All e mails are in Englsh and minutes are published in both Thai and English.

If the majority of the co -owners , who reside at the 576 room Condo where OP resides, are Russian -then life will be difficult for the committee. Particular if the Committee are Russian speakers!

The law specifies that the JPM has to carry out tasks as detailed by the committee and the Rules and Regs.

Actually the law says that the JPM has to do what he thinks is best for the building. He also has to obey the law generally and the building regs. If what the committee asks him to do complies with his interpretation of the law/regs and with his opinion of what is best for the building then he should do it. But if he disagrees he can ignore the committee's requests.

This is why the choice of JPM is extremely important and also why the job should never be given to the management company.

Actually the law says that the JPM has to do what he thinks is best for the building. He also has to obey the law generally and the building regs. If what the committee asks him to do complies with his interpretation of the law/regs and with his opinion of what is best for the building then he should do it. But if he disagrees he can ignore the committee's requests.

This is why the choice of JPM is extremely important and also why the job should never be given to the management company.

Not True!

Only in the case of' necessity and urgency' can he/she takes matters into his/her own hands

The rest of the times its as Section 36 of the Act which states:

Section 36 The manager shall have the following powers and duties:

(1) To carry out the work according to the objectives under Section 33 or resolution of the Regulations or resolution of the joint-owners General Meeting, however it shall not be contradictory to the law.

(2) In the case of necessity and urgency, the Manager shall have the power by his own initiative to carry out the business for the safety of the building as a prudent person should do to his own property.

If you appoint a management company the JPM comes with the deal. QPM claim that the services of the JPM are FOC.

It is the skill of the building manager that counts. They deal with day to day.. In practice the only job that the JPM does is to ensure that the condo stays legal and to take co -owners to court to recover outstanding fees.

Of course if you choose not to use a management company then the JPM is all that is required-dependant on the size of the condo.

Edited by Delight

Not True!

Only in the case of' necessity and urgency' can he/she takes matters into his/her own hands

(2) In the case of necessity and urgency, the Manager shall have the power by his own initiative to carry out the business for the safety of the building as a prudent person should do to his own property.

My point precisely. It is the JPM's decision as to what is necessary or urgent.

If you appoint a management company the JPM comes with the deal. QPM claim that the services of the JPM are FOC.

No, there is never any requirement for the management company to act as JPM. Some of them wont do so at all. When a management company does act as JPM it is often free of charge, though some want to be paid. In Bangkok it is quite common for independent people who are not co-owners and not part of the management company to act as JPM for a fee, and this happens in some Pattaya condos also.

Personally I think it is an extremely bad idea for a management company to also be JPM, unless co-owners feel that they can trust the management company 100%. I dont know anyone I would trust that much in Thailand, and indeed most people here I would not trust at all.

It is the skill of the building manager that counts. They deal with day to day.. In practice the only job that the JPM does is to ensure that the condo stays legal and to take co -owners to court to recover outstanding fees.

The building manager is just an employee with no power. Unlike the JPM he does have to do what he is told and has no choice in the matter. However, only the JPM can hire or fire him (assuming he is employed by the building and not by the management company).

Edited by KittenKong

The building manager is just an employee with no power. Unlike the JPM he does have to do what he is told and has no choice in the matter. However, only the JPM can hire or fire him (assuming he is employed by the building and not by the management company).

Both the internal staff and the external suppliers report to the building manager.

The building manager is the co –owners point of contact. The difference between a well run condo and a badly run condo –on a day to day basis is all down to the building manager –not the JPM .

The JPM at QPM will only sack a building Manager if theft is involved. That statement is based on personal experience.

The Building manager reports to the JPM. The JPM reports to the committee. The committee reports to the co –owners at the AGM.

In the context of this post i.e. Recommendations for a management company. The JPM at QPM ignores

Section 36 1 The manager shall have the following powers and duties:

To carry out the work according to the objectives under Section 33 or resolution of the Regulations or resolution of the joint-owners General Meeting, however it shall not be contradictory to the law.

And operates as :

Section 36 2 The manager shall have the following powers and duties:

In the case of necessity and urgency, the Manager shall have the power by his own initiative to carry out the business for the safety of the building as a prudent person should do to his own property.

I read the law as 36/1 is the priority

You read the law as 36/2 is the priority –as does the JPM of QPM. In my view this gives him more power than he is entitled to.

It is for that reason the using QPM as a management company is potentially risky.

As I stated in an earlier post its ultimately down to a strong committee.

Edited by Delight

In the context of this post i.e. Recommendations for a management company. The JPM at QPM ignores

Section 36 1 The manager shall have the following powers and duties:

To carry out the work according to the objectives under Section 33 or resolution of the Regulations or resolution of the joint-owners General Meeting, however it shall not be contradictory to the law.

And operates as :

Section 36 2 The manager shall have the following powers and duties:

In the case of necessity and urgency, the Manager shall have the power by his own initiative to carry out the business for the safety of the building as a prudent person should do to his own property.

I read the law as 36/1 is the priority

You read the law as 36/2 is the priority as does the JPM of QPM. In my view this gives him more power than he is entitled to.

It is for that reason the using QPM as a management company is potentially risky.

As I stated in an earlier post its ultimately down to a strong committee.

Thai law is so vague and imprecise that much of it is meaningless. I think you are reading far too much into the order of things.

Any management company is potentially risky: appointing your own JPM minimises some aspects of this risk.

A strong committee can help, but not all committees are strong.