The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

6 minutes ago, elviajero said:

I don't think it matters too much what you put, but my advice would be to keep it simple.

The visa is not designed for people to live in Thailand, but for those that visit regularly. There is no need to detail all your visits when you apply.

I agree! I think I didn´t even answer that particular question when I applied for my 2 previous METVs. And as there is no requirement for an "outbound/return flight" I myself wouldn´t bother calculating the days between my first day of entry and my planned return flight. But then again, there certainly is no harm in doing so.....  

1 minute ago, startuper said:

How often can I ask for METV? I mean, if I come back to my homecountry, can I ask for METV next day? Thanks.

Some people have successfully received back-to-back METVs. There is nothing in the rules to prevent it. It may, as with most things to do with Thai visas and immigration, depend on where you are applying.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Is a return flight ticket required when applying for a METV?

A return flight is not required. A onward flight out of the country is all that would be need. That could even be a one way ticket to a nearby country.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A return flight is not required. A onward flight out of the country is all that would be need. That could even be a one way ticket to a nearby country.

Is this "onward ticket" a new requirement? I´ve had 2 METVs so far and was never asked for an onward ticket. A ticket TO Thailand, yes, but none OUT OF Thailand.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DUS said:

Is this "onward ticket" a new requirement? I´ve had 2 METVs so far and was never asked for an onward ticket. A ticket TO Thailand, yes, but none OUT OF Thailand.

That depends upon where you apply for the METV. Some embassies and consulates want one. Same as when applying for a single entry tourist visa some want it while others don't.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That depends upon where you apply for the METV. Some embassies and consulates want one. Same as when applying for a single entry tourist visa some want it while others don't.

Do you know if it is a requirement from London please?

Edited by SunsetT

I plan to quit my work around early June and travel around Thailand / SE Asia region during summer/fall.  I wonder what's turnaround time for METV at Washington DC embassy if anyone knows.  Do they still ask for employment verification letters?   I would print out verification letter, but I am pretty sure i am not only one who will bring letter to get METV visa then quit his or her job afterward.  

Edited by wash747

I am Canadian, currently the Thai Embassy has my passport and hoping to get it back with an METV.

running the border in Kanchanaburi (Phu Nam Ron) runs for cheaper (and less boring, due to the nice drive - as long as it doesn't rain) than going to  Phetchaburi Immigration and paying 1900 baht and wasting about half as much time waiting etc.

if I plan to try to go for maximum length (±9m) would it be a better choice to border run every 2 months then last entry right before the "enter by date" and get an extension?

as in: 60 + 60 + 60 + (60+30) instead of the usual 60+30 x3.

sounds to me like it should not make much difference but I would rather make sure that i would not get problems for using one choice over the other.

Edited by kekalot

11 minutes ago, kekalot said:

if I plan to try to go for maximum length (±9m) would it be a better choice to border run every 2 months then last entry right before the "enter by date" and get an extension?

as in: 60 + 60 + 60 + (60+30) instead of the usual 60+30 x3.

No problem doing it that way. Many people have opted for a new entry instead of the extensions.

Dependent upon the crossing used and the distance you need to travel it is more cost effective to get a new 60 day entry.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

No problem doing it that way. Many people have opted for a new entry instead of the extensions.

Dependent upon the crossing used and the distance you need to travel it is more cost effective to get a new 60 day entry.

exactly what I wanted to hear and expected but you never know. thanks UJ ;D

32 minutes ago, wash747 said:

I plan to quit my work around early June and travel around Thailand / SE Asia region during summer/fall.  I wonder what's turnaround time for METV at Washington DC embassy if anyone knows.  Do they still ask for employment verification letters?   I would print out verification letter, but I am pretty sure i am not only one who will bring letter to get METV visa then quit his or her job afterward.  

The employment letter is still shows as a requirement on their website.

It also states 5 days to get it.

See: http://thaiembdc.org/tourist-visa-category-tr-multiple-metv/

I just did 6 months (60+60+60), downside is if using a border run visa service from say Pattaya that's a full day used up. If going to Jomtien its just a couple of hours / half day max. Plus with border run you bring in the risk of a mini van accident.

@ubonjoe - thanks for info.  I am wondering if Thai embassy staffs would care too much about employer?  If someone is in military or working for a federal agency, would it be any issues? I am not too worried but want to make sure.   I assume they wouldn't put too much weight on employment verification, compare to proof of $$$ in bank + return ticket, etc?  

Also, do anyone put thai references on the METV form? I know couple of Thais but not well enough to put their names on contact?

Edited by wash747
add one question

12 hours ago, wash747 said:

@ubonjoe - thanks for info.  I am wondering if Thai embassy staffs would care too much about employer?  If someone is in military or working for a federal agency, would it be any issues? I am not too worried but want to make sure.   I assume they wouldn't put too much weight on employment verification, compare to proof of $$$ in bank + return ticket, etc?  

They are not bothered about who you work for. They just want evidence that you have a job and a reason to go home after your visit.

• 2 weeks later...

With a METV, is it considered "ok" to just do a quick 1-2 day border run when needed, or is that frowned upon the same way it is with TR visas and exemptions?

Are there any problems or other "side effects" with coming and going halfway through a stay? For example, let's say I arrive to Thailand on day 1, then on day 20 I decide to take 2 day trip to KL. That gives me 2 new months, right? And no limit on how many times I can come and go, and how long I have to stay out each time? So on day 43 I can do another weekend trip to Vietnam, etc, etc, with no negative impact on my immigration "trustworthiness" when coming back to Thailand?

Also, is there any difference coming and going by land vs. by air, from the perspective of immigration I mean?

20 minutes ago, BadCash said:

With a METV, is it considered "ok" to just do a quick 1-2 day border run when needed, or is that frowned upon the same way it is with TR visas and exemptions?

Are there any problems or other "side effects" with coming and going halfway through a stay? For example, let's say I arrive to Thailand on day 1, then on day 20 I decide to take 2 day trip to KL. That gives me 2 new months, right? And no limit on how many times I can come and go, and how long I have to stay out each time? So on day 43 I can do another weekend trip to Vietnam, etc, etc, with no negative impact on my immigration "trustworthiness" when coming back to Thailand?

Also, is there any difference coming and going by land vs. by air, from the perspective of immigration I mean?

In the short term, I do not think the pattern of entries is of any significance. If you spend long periods in Thailand over a period of years, I think immigration primarily looks at days inside the country and outside, return trips to home country, your nationality and your age. The last two influence their assessment of the likelihood you are working illegally. If you are from a rich Western country, and returning home a couple of times a year, I would bet you could otherwise indefinitely enter and exit Thailand at will on an METV with no issues at all.

25 minutes ago, BadCash said:

For the last 10 months or so I have been doing exactly what you plan to do and (so far) never had any issues when returning from a short hop across the border. So even with 2 back-to-back METVs nobody at Immigration has ever started to ask questions etc. This is of course no guarantee that this won´t happen next time I come back to TH (at the end of this month).

8 hours ago, BadCash said:

The is what the METV was created for. You can do as many entries as you want to during the 6 months the visa is valid.

Last week I received my 3th METV, and I'm back in Thailand again. I think one of the first, or the first in this topic, at least when I read back.

Just to let you guys know.

This time I will try to stay 8 months, so 2 months extra on the last 'enter before' date. Still a little bit scared that it will not work, and so I don't dare to buy a flight ticket back before that time.

Extra info: Till that time I do a Bangkok - Kuala Lumpur 1 day trip. So fly and 3/4 hours later I fly back, and this every 60 days. Till so far I never had problems doing this.

Edited by Rudyv
added 'Extra info'

1 minute ago, Rudyv said:

Last week I received my 3th METV, and I'm back in Thailand again. I think one of the first, or the first in this topic, at least when I read back.

Just to let you guys know.

This time I will try to stay 8 months, so 2 months extra on the last 'enter before' date. Still a little bit scared that it will not work, and so I don't dare to buy a flight ticket back before that time.

Good to know - with the here METV you have had are you straight back to backing them i.e. Flying home getting new one and coming straight back or are you staying in your home country for a period of time before re applying ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bigdogfarang said:

Good to know - with the here METV you have had are you straight back to backing them i.e. Flying home getting new one and coming straight back or are you staying in your home country for a period of time before re applying ?

I always stay 3 weeks.

• Like 1

Would a printout of an online savings account be good enough to satisfy the bank statement requirement at the embassy or consulates in the UK?

Yes, it was in the Glasgow consulate. I think they realise most people receive online statements these days. Print a proper statement pdf if you can it will have a better format for printing.

• Like 2

Has anyone got a metv in the hk embassy. I have emailed them requesting more info, but they are giving the usual silent reply.
I am a British citizen with a hk work permit. So don't see why should be an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect