The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

23 minutes ago, gusincebu said:

If that is the case ..will I still be required to report my address to immigration as I was with the METV ?

I am intrigued by your comment: Why did you ever report your address to immigration? With the METV your longest possible stay incl. a 30 days extension would be a maximum of 90 days so just below the "threshold". 

7 minutes ago, DUS said:

I am intrigued by your comment: Why did you ever report your address to immigration? With the METV your longest possible stay incl. a 30 days extension would be a maximum of 90 days so just below the "threshold"

I think he means the TM30 reporting that the owner should do.

I think he means the TM30 reporting that the owner should do.

Ah yes .. I was staying with my daughter ( not Thai ) .. while I'm here , and she took me to immigration to register me at her address.

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk

Please can anyone help us?

My wife and I have been working legally for a school in Thailand for the last 14 months, but our employment has been ended today, 18 May 2017.

We both have multi-entry Non B visas. Mine runs out on 29 August 2017 and my wife's expires on 31 January 2018.

We are not seeking further employment in Thailand and leave for Australia on 13 July and then the UK on 25 July 2017. We then start our new jobs in Nairobi on 19 August.

Are we allowed to stay here in Thailand until July 2017?

Many thanks

David and Lucy Edwards

I got a 30 day extension on my TR Multi-entry which expires August. In 30 days I will fly out and back in to continue with my multi-entry but I have a question about a comment stamped into my password with the extension. 

Comment reads as follows

"To keep your stay permit re-entry permit must be made before leaving Thailand"

What does this mean, I already have a re-entry visa which is my TR multi-entry, are they talking about something else?

5 minutes ago, bskerr2 said:

Comment reads as follows

"To keep your stay permit re-entry permit must be made before leaving Thailand"

That is a standard note on extension stamps. It means nothing in your case.

Hi all, wondering if anyone is on thier 3Rd time metv? I'm about to fly back to Sydney for a week and apply for my 3Rd round of metv, I won't have an issue obtaining the visa label, but I am a bit worried about immigration at bkk, as last time I flew back to Sydney for 10 days obtained my seccond metv then flew right back into bkk, I did get somewhat grilled about other visas in my passport but not the actual seccond metv, this was also in the fasttrack/premium lane,

I would be keen to hear any feedback for people who have done thier third metv, especially back to back,

3 minutes ago, kmw said:

Hi all, wondering if anyone is on thier 3Rd time metv? I'm about to fly back to Sydney for a week and apply for my 3Rd round of metv, I won't have an issue obtaining the visa label, but I am a bit worried about immigration at bkk, as last time I flew back to Sydney for 10 days obtained my seccond metv then flew right back into bkk, I did get somewhat grilled about other visas in my passport but not the actual seccond metv, this was also in the fasttrack/premium lane,

I would be keen to hear any feedback for people who have done thier third metv, especially back to back,

Yes, that will be kind of interesting to learn. But then again, even if someone reports back that he/she had no issues when entering the Kingdom on the 3rd consecutive METV this does not mean you won´t have any issues either. After all, you are reporting on being grilled with your 2nd back to back METV whilst I personally never had a single issue when entering on my 2nd METV (also back to back). Would you not apply for your 3rd METV if a single TV user told us of being grilled when entering on his 3rd back-to-back visa? What are your alternatives that would let you sleep any better?   

But I fully understand that it would be a little bit reassuring if a few users on their 3rd METV told us about having no issues whatsoever when entering the country. So let´s see what responses you will get. In the meantime, have a safe and enjoyable trip back home!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, kmw said:

The best you can do is:

1. Have 20K Baht worth of Cash or Travelers Checks and show them helpfully at the outset of questioning.

2. Have a document showing the precise address where you will be staying while here (at least for the first part of your stay).
3. Be able to explain the following questions:
 - Where you income originates / why you don't need to work At ALL while in Thailand,
 - What you intend to do here / why you are here again,
 - When you plan to leave.

So far, the only "rejected at immigration with METV" stories we have are from people who did NOT have the 20K Baht.  That makes it easy for them to refuse entry.  Remember, they will NOT let you go to an ATM and fetch the money - nor will they accept a bank-statement / atm-slip, etc.  If you don't have that cash, they can check off the box on their form which says "Foreigner didn't have money," and reject you.  This is their goal, if you are being questioned.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, kmw said:

I do not think the number of METVs is of significance. If I am reading between the lines correctly, you have been several years in Thailand on tourist entries, with only short gaps, right? Under those circumstances, depending on the immigration official, some skeptical questioning is a definite possibility. Actually, your return to home country counts in your favor, but not as much as a return there for a month or two would. Presumably, you have been doing most of your entries via a friendly land border, and it is only the initial return through the airport which attracted attention. You do need to have a good story as to why you are spending so much time in Thailand, and how you can afford to do so without working. The odds are in your favor, but no one can give you an absolute assurance that immigration will not flag you as a probable illegal worker.

• Like 1

Hi All,

First thank you for your replies, 

Thanks Jack, I did not think about the 20k thb so will definitely make sure I have this on me when I come back into BKK, I am also able to easily show where all my income comes from, and I am also a genuine tourist, and from my past visas, I leave once my time is up, so I think I should be ok in relation to those issues.

BritTim, your pretty much spot on,  Yes I mainly travel back to Sydney solely to obtain another tourist visa, and because I live in Chaing Mai, we drive to Mae Sai every 60 days to obtain another re-entry, So I am pretty sure when the immigration officers looks though my passport they can clearly see what am doing, 

I am spending so much time here because I am retired, but I am under 50 so I am unable to obtain the retirement visa, I generally spend most of the time here with my partner and travel around quite a lot, however I can see how this would raise red flags due to my age and extended periods of time in Thailand, in relation to them potentially thinking I am illegally working.

Also I am unable to obtain the marriage visa as immigration still does not recognize same sex marriages, its taking them so long to potentially pass this law, but I have doubts this will ever happen with the current government, 

If I get grilled or denied entry on my third METV, I might just need to pull the trigger on the Thailand Elite Visa/PE Visa 

Will let everyone know how it goes next month, wish me luck! thanks

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kmw said:

Hi All,

First thank you for your replies, 

Thanks Jack, I did not think about the 20k thb so will definitely make sure I have this on me when I come back into BKK, I am also able to easily show where all my income comes from, and I am also a genuine tourist, and from my past visas, I leave once my time is up, so I think I should be ok in relation to those issues.

BritTim, your pretty much spot on,  Yes I mainly travel back to Sydney solely to obtain another tourist visa, and because I live in Chaing Mai, we drive to Mae Sai every 60 days to obtain another re-entry, So I am pretty sure when the immigration officers looks though my passport they can clearly see what am doing, 

I wish you luck, but the reality is that you clearly are not a 'tourist' and need to be prepared, as advised above, and to have a plan B in the unlikely event you get denied entry at passport control. History shows that as we push the 'loopholes' in the system immigration fight back.

Just now, elviajero said:

I wish you luck, but the reality is that you clearly are not a 'tourist' and need to be prepared, as advised above, and to have a plan B in the unlikely event you get denied entry at passport control. History shows that as we push the 'loopholes' in the system immigration fight back.

Hi elviajero,

Yes it seems that way, Im pretty sure all the digital nomads I see up here in Chiang Mai are on METVs and doing similar things as I am, I thinks its just a matter of time before Thai Immigration cracks down, hence my plan B is the Elite/PE visa, as its literally the only option I will have left to spend extended periods of time here

3 minutes ago, kmw said:

Yes it seems that way, Im pretty sure all the digital nomads I see up here in Chiang Mai are on METVs and doing similar things as I am, I thinks its just a matter of time before Thai Immigration cracks down, hence my plan B is the Elite/PE visa, as its literally the only option I will have left to spend extended periods of time here

Yes. Unfortunately a couple of immigration officers from Chiang Mai have publicly stated that DN's on tourist visas are ok to work and people have taken that as a green light that living and working in Thailand, as a tourist, is legal/ok. The simple fact is that they cannot prevent any 'tourists' from keeping up with their work when on holiday so they have no choice but to allow DN's the same pass.

I am sure that if numbers grow too high they will crack down in CM, but the system really needs changing/clarification before they can really enforce perpetual tourism, which is the actual problem. I don't think the authorities are that bothered about the online work.

Re:

3 hours ago, kmw said:

the only option I will have left to spend extended periods of time here

The only "problems" you will find entering with TR Visas are at a few points of entry, which include airports.  There are some supervisors and/or officers who have some sort of personal vendetta against Westerners staying here "too much" for their taste - and they have been known to bend/break rules to make trouble for us.  I never enter Thailand by air, for this reason.

You can enter at almost all land-borders without any issue.  The friendliest land-borders are to Laos and Cambodia - excepting Poipet/Aranyaprathet, which is terrible.  You might also consider flying to Penang, then taking the train - but be prepared with the 20K baht coming in from Malaysia for sure, as there are reports that even the formerly-friendly Pedang Besar border-crossing is asking to see the cash. 

There are evidently some rational people at the top who know frequent / long-term tourists who can afford Visa-Runs for new TR visas are no harm to Thailand - and, in fact, contribute to the economy with their foreign-sourced funds.  They did crack down on back-to-back Visa-Exempt entries, however, because people on shoestring-budgets could stay here that way and/or because the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (who issue visas) is not involved.  The rules on visa-exempts were written into police-orders, so they are not shy about changing rules when they feel it is necessary.  There is no rule on frequent-entry on TR-Visas, though - this is not a "loophole" - it is Policy.  If the authorities were really concerned about "illegal workers" they would not target Westerners with better work-options, in any case.

Just be aware of where the problem entry-points lie, avoid those, and you will be fine, for now.  There is always the possibility the rules might change in the future, though, if the anti-western faction wins the day.  In that case, if you have the resources to buy a temporary Elite visa, you might also consider parking 10M Baht in some bank-accounts here.  That is money you can keep, and allows a yearly-renewable visa in-perpetuity.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

I finished up my METV with the 30 day extension.I went to Laos before the last day of the extension was to expire and got another 30 days with a Visa exempt entry at the boarder  total days in Thailand  285

Hi Jack, thanks for your response,

I did a bit of research and to park 10 million baht in a Thai majority owned bank looks like another possibility, however with that amount of funds, it would return a higher rate in other investment vehicles I currently have in Australia,

I might just go for the 5 year elite / pe visa if I run into any issues, but am also considering a land crossing, however a lot more planning and logistics is needed, 

On 4/26/2017 at 0:43 PM, Rudyv said:

Last week I received my 3th METV, and I'm back in Thailand again. I think one of the first, or the first in this topic, at least when I read back.

Just to let you guys know.

This time I will try to stay 8 months, so 2 months extra on the last 'enter before' date. Still a little bit scared that it will not work, and so I don't dare to buy a flight ticket back before that time.

Extra info: Till that time I do a Bangkok - Kuala Lumpur 1 day trip. So fly and 3/4 hours later I fly back, and this every 60 days. Till so far I never had problems doing this.

Congrats to your 3rd METV!

Quick question, how many days or months did you wait until you applied for a new METV from the day you departed Thailand? 

25 minutes ago, crazyk said:

Can i get the equivalent of the former 6 month visa at mumbai thai embassey

Only single and multiple entry tourist visas are issued now.

Copy of the answer I gave you in another post you did.

The embassy is New Deli but there is a consulate in Mumbai. In India you have to apply for visa through one of the contract visa application centers. See: https://th.ckgs.in/

If you are a citizen or legal resident of India you could apply for a METV there.

On 22/05/2017 at 3:29 PM, JackThompson said:

The best you can do is:

1. Have 20K Baht worth of Cash or Travelers Checks and show them helpfully at the outset of questioning.

2. Have a document showing the precise address where you will be staying while here (at least for the first part of your stay).
3. Be able to explain the following questions:
 - Where you income originates / why you don't need to work At ALL while in Thailand,
 - What you intend to do here / why you are here again,
 - When you plan to leave.

So far, the only "rejected at immigration with METV" stories we have are from people who did NOT have the 20K Baht.  That makes it easy for them to refuse entry.  Remember, they will NOT let you go to an ATM and fetch the money - nor will they accept a bank-statement / atm-slip, etc.  If you don't have that cash, they can check off the box on their form which says "Foreigner didn't have money," and reject you.  This is their goal, if you are being questioned.

My guess is if they got a shitty day, they'll accept Thai bath only. Is there any ATM in the airport (Swampy) b4 passing immigration ??

If rejected, what's the next step. I guess many would have a return ticket to their home country, many others not.

In my case I wouldn't, since in the past it was easier just buying one out of Bangkok when another job came up. I still fly this way round, also easier to coordinate tickets with your partner when travelling abroad. However I would have an ticket out of Thailand somewhere nearby, as the consulate needs to see one ticket out of Thailand anyway b4 issuing an METV.

Wouldn't be logical to expect the foreigner to buy a plane ticket back to his home country, when they just stated the "Foreigner did not have money" minutes b4. But then again, Logic and Thailand does not fit well together.

Will you become the responsibility of the airline who brought you in?

Edited by jethro69

49 minutes ago, jethro69 said:

My guess is if they got a shitty day, they'll accept Thai bath only. Is there any ATM in the airport (Swampy) b4 passing immigration ??

If rejected, what's the next step. I guess many would have a return ticket to their home country, many others not.

In my case I wouldn't, since in the past it was easier just buying one out of Bangkok when another job came up. I still fly this way round, also easier to coordinate tickets with your partner when travelling abroad. However I would have an ticket out of Thailand somewhere nearby, as the consulate needs to see one ticket out of Thailand anyway b4 issuing an METV.

Wouldn't be logical to expect the foreigner to buy a plane ticket back to his home country, when they just stated the "Foreigner did not have money" minutes b4. But then again, Logic and Thailand does not fit well together.

Will you become the responsibility of the airline who brought you in?

Many reports of, "You don't have the money - no entry," then off to the desk to buy a ticket (with the money that didn't exist). 

No reports I've read of an offer to go to an ATM and get the money, though one of the recent denied hit one on the way out.

Usually they let you go back where you came from, since it is a "denial of entry" - not a "deportation."  One reason I haven't been to Myanmar - you couldn't just "go back" without getting a new visa for entry first and road-trips from the capital / consulate by land don't look pleasant. 

At least one case I remember where they forced the guy to buy an expensive ticket all the way home, after he begged to return to HK.  One more reason not to lose you cool, whatever happens - it cannot help matters.

I have not heard of a case of a person getting a "free ticket" from the airline - could mean a while in detention even if possible.  The official airline-rules for traveling to Thailand say having plastic is enough - you are not "supposed" to need cash or travelers-checks only - but you do (or may).

• Like 1

While still here in Thailand, I slowly start preparing for my 2.nd METV.

The embassy/consulate website states as follows.

1 copy of a confirmed hotel reservation OR an

invitation letter/mail from a person in Thailand with a

full address and 1 copy of this person’s identity card + proof

that this person lives in Thailand

(confirmation for at least half of your stay!)

Last year I didn't check in advance, and the misses cancelled the trip last minute because death in the family, I didn’t travel with my computer so I had no copy of her Tambien baan either. So I choose the first option and booked like a dozen hotels for 2 weeks over Agoda, which I later cancelled w/o costs. That worked fine, but no one except bureaucrats really believe that you book 6 months of hotels in advance??

So I wonder about that invitation letter, should that be in English or Thai? If in English I would bet 80% of the Landlords cannot produce one, so I wonder if there are some pre-print forms available (best dual language) or if a rental contract would do as well? (Those forms you get in the book stores). Honestly, I’m on my second rental here in 4 years, and neither I nor my Landlords did need a rental contract. So, if I go that way, I might just use the misses Tambien Ban, and whatever more is needed.  

Would like to hear your ideas about this.

1 hour ago, jethro69 said:

I didn’t travel with my computer so I had no copy of her Tambien baan either.

Is your wife Thai. If yes why don't you get a multiple entry non-o visa,

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Is you wife Thai. If yes why don't you get a multiple entry non-o visa,

We're not married, prefer to stay on a lease :clap2:, however that's the option to consider if they make it even more trouble than already now, or even better just move on.

Edited by jethro69

5 minutes ago, jethro69 said:

We're not married, prefer to stay on a lease :clap2:, however that's the option to consider if they make it even more trouble than already now, or even better just move on.

She can just write a short statement in Thai that you are living with her and attach  a copy of her ID card and house book registry to it.

• Like 1