Talcum Powder On The Face

Bellatrix

Am I missing out on something? I see Thais put it on their face in the evening too, so I don't think it's a sun protection thing, so what is it? Even straight men do it. Why?

seen this before too. whitening powder.

I think alot of Thais have a desire for whiter skin.

I believe it goes right back to early Thai culture. Similar behaviour is seen in several 'Tai' ethnic groups.

Its common practice throughout Loas and Tai hill tribes in Sothern China and Northern Vietnam. Very often you'll see a pale yellow mud is often used and I suspect that the talcum powder is a modern replacement of that mud.

When we were little visiting Thailand, talc was thrown all over us after a bath. I still do so after doing sport and then having a shower. There are a few practical reasons:

- you smell nicer

- you feel drier and cooler. This is the most important bit, especially if you can't completely dry off in an airconned room.

And cools down too :o

Your quite correct thats all it is .Not any of the other nonsense!!!!

RAB

I agree. Nowdays anyway.

My wife and her family always dry off with talc. The wife puts it on her face before we go out to the shops.

Songkran is a different though....

And cools down too :o

Your quite correct thats all it is .Not any of the other nonsense!!!!

RAB

Indeed

It is Prickly Heat powder, it cools the skin down..... don't get it in your eyes though, stings a bit.

It has absolutely nothing to do with lightening the skin.

You may also want to avoid splashing the Prickly Heat or any cooling talcum powder around your genitals. For 20 minutes or so, it feels like your genitals have been packed in dry ice or squeezed in a vice. Rinsing with water will only make it worse... Ohhhh the pain....

Forgetting all your problems through meditation is NOTHING compared to this.

READ THE LABEL!

Edited by Tony Clifton

went to the link:

they have the REAL ORIGINAL answer.... mostly people do it now (on their faces) at parties (birthdays, going away 'bai sii' parties etc)

its like a residual tradition like putting mistletoe over the door. most people dont kiss under mistletoe anymore, or even know why mistle toe originally was put over the door (at christmas :o) )

bina

israel

You may also want to avoid splashing the Prickly Heat or any cooling talcum powder around your genitals. For 20 minutes or so, it feels like your genitals have been packed in dry ice or squeezed in a vice. Rinsing with water will only make it worse... Ohhhh the pain....

Forgetting all your problems through meditation is NOTHING compared to this.

READ THE LABEL!

I find its quite a nice cooling feeling not painful at all :D don't get any up your arse crack though that really is uncomfortable :o

:D for lowering the tone :D