CM tens this coming weekend

wanderingstray

Went into U N pub on Friday specifically to ask about forthcoming event as i hadn't seen anything advertised and thought that this would be the place to find out.The 3 people behind the bar knew very little about it. I pointed to the ad on the pillar but they didn't know anything really.

Anyone have info re:start times for both days, how many teams competing, beer tent, programme ?

Thanks

Sandy Cullen of the UN Irish is the inspiration behind the CM 10's and will know all the details - I'm afraid you can't expect the Thai staff to know that kind of thing.

I went two years ago and it was a fun day out. There was a beer tent (although with CM's current puritanical (puerile?) rulers views on alcohol, who knows!) there was plenty of food: Western and Thai. The rugby was at fun level, The best team by far two years ago was from some city in Eastern Russia, Krasnoyarsk, or some such place, but when they played the Thai Air Force in their first game, it was quite apparent that they were on that kind of rugby tour!! and lost (which was diplomatically a good idea anyway!) The play starts fairly early, but the best games started about the right time if you were to get up at a leisurely hour, have a relaxing breakfast and hop in a tuk-tuk.

If you are any kind of rugby fan you should go along and support this tournament which also seeks to develop rugby in Thailand.

Sounds interesting, I too havent seen any advertising but managed to watch a few games about 3 weeks ago in a park not far from McCormick hospital (Where the close the roads for the weekend market....day market only)

Im not sure what that tournament was all about but I felt sorry for the guys...stinking hot weather is not something I relish when playing rugby (Albeit my rugby playing days are well over)

Hopefully someone can get the info and post it here, Id be very interested to attend...plus if cold beers are on hand its sure to be a great day out.

Down Under bar is near the river past the night bazaar on Loy Kroh road...

On the corner opposite The River Market.

.... and behind it a large parking lot with a red double decker bus parked ... where you can plastered on street hootch and sleep for free

That link is dead, so cut and paste.There were about 5 lines saying one team has dropped out and hope you come out but nothing about start times or anything. I went to Chiang Mai City Life but their info was about the 10's in 2013. I am surprised that it is not advertised more, considering it is an "international event" as I'm sure there are more ex-players in Chiang Mai who want to watch some rugby and quaff a few bevvies (without it being on TV)

Looked at Down Under Pub site but it seems they are of the "other" rules.

That link is dead, so cut and paste.There were about 5 lines saying one team has dropped out and hope you come out but nothing about start times or anything. I went to Chiang Mai City Life but their info was about the 10's in 2013. I am surprised that it is not advertised more, considering it is an "international event" as I'm sure there are more ex-players in Chiang Mai who want to watch some rugby and quaff a few bevvies (without it being on TV)

Looked at Down Under Pub site but it seems they are of the "other" rules.

After reading your reply, i opened the page with success.

Here is a cut and paste of the entire article.

CityNews Article Archive:

Rugby 10’s International Rugby Tournament this Weekend

CityNews – Don’t forget to visit the 3rd annual Chiang Mai Rugby 10’s tournament this Saturday and Sunday at the Prince Royal College rugby ground, located across from McCormick Hospital.

(photo)

Although a few teams have pulled out, there are still nine in the competition, including a team from Siberia. Come out and cheer on your Chiang Mai Tigers, and support rugby in Northern Thailand. Games run from 11:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m., and food & drinks are available at the ground!

Thanks ....you must have the magicsmile.png One other thing in regard to alcohol sales. If we cannot buy booze between 2 and 5 could we a) buy tickets before 2 pm then hand in tickets when we need the thirst quencher B) take a cooler/eskie and buy before the deadline. If we cannot be served between 2 and 5 can we do "b)". ? Just my 8am 2nd coffee thoughts. (Not awake yet)

Good point, and will the officials at the game allow you to take an eskie/chilly bin into the grounds? Will they be policing the booze policy?

I can understand them not wanting you to bring alcohol into the grounds (Loss of revenue), but if they shut up their beer tent between 2 and 5 what are the options available? Its not like a group of falang yobbos are going to get rat arsed over a few beers but it is nice to sink a few cold ones while watching the greatest sport on earth!

(Yes Im sure that last comment will elicit a few scathing replies)

As a regular at the UN Irish pub, through whom this great event is organised, I can confirm that this year there will be 15 mens teams, and intriguingly for some on here, 3 womens teams!!

The event is at the Sports Field of the Prince Royal College, very close to McCormack Hospital, with group/ qualifying matches on Saturday, and Quarter Finals through to the Finals of the events on Sunday.

Matches scheduled to begin at around 9.30 both days. Usually a very entertaining event, and probably the only time in the year when you can see good quality Rugby in Chiang Mai.

Breaking news out of New Zealand this morning that Rugby great Jonah Lomu passed away. He was just 40 years old and had been struggling with kidney problems.

An absolute legend of a player who started in the international scene as a 7s player. He went on to become a fearsome winger for the All Blacks and notibly in 1995 when he steamrolled over the British fullback Mike Catt to score an incredible try.

Even as his health deteriorated he continued to be an ambassador for rugby and New Zealand, keeping all his media posts upto date wherever he was around the world.

One amazing guy and one whom will be missed

RIP Jonah

Edited by CMKiwi

Good point, and will the officials at the game allow you to take an eskie/chilly bin into the grounds? Will they be policing the booze policy?

I can understand them not wanting you to bring alcohol into the grounds (Loss of revenue), but if they shut up their beer tent between 2 and 5 what are the options available? Its not like a group of falang yobbos are going to get rat arsed over a few beers but it is nice to sink a few cold ones while watching the greatest sport on earth!

(Yes Im sure that last comment will elicit a few scathing replies)

The law says it is illegal to sell or serve alcohol between 2 and 5, so nothing to stop you consuming it. A cold box may be the answer - just don't abuse it as I'm sure the revenue from booze sales is, as you say, an important part of the revenue that makes the event function. The local anti-beer gestapo could however, catch you on the no alcohol in schools policy....these guys have a lot of anti-alcohol aces up their sleeves.

CMKiwi: agree - very sad news about Jonah. RIP. Not unexpected of course.

Edited by millwall_fan