Anti-antivirus - Why you better get rid of your antivirus software

flyDelight

46 minutes ago, BKKdreaming said:

How can you set the Microsoft System Restore make a restore point  every 2  weeks , 

That seems to be a good place to start , 

Thanks

Well I'm afraid people who write ransomware sussed that one out a long time ago.

Offline backups are the way to go.

15 minutes ago, Chicog said:

Well I'm afraid people who write ransomware sussed that one out a long time ago.

Offline backups are the way to go.

I  have had to use System restore a few times in the lst year because something did not work after an update by Microsoft or others , 

That is why I would like to have a more current Systm restore file

Is thre a way to set up your windows computer so that it will not start a EXE file or any other file like that before jumpimg thru a few hoops . 

so if you clicked on a hijacking link , it would not go thru but warn you that it was trying to install a file on your computer ,

them maybe even isolate and scan the ones you let thru before installing , 

```You need to make things " idiot proof"  so that  low level employees cannot make a mistake . or people like me :)

9 hours ago, BKKdreaming said:

I  have had to use System restore a few times in the lst year because something did not work after an update by Microsoft or others , 

That is why I would like to have a more current Systm restore file

That's fine, but it has nothing to do with the effectiveness of System Restore against a malware attack.

(Although I'm sure some people see Windows Updates as malware.... :whistling: ).

5 hours ago, BKKdreaming said:

Is thre a way to set up your windows computer so that it will not start a EXE file or any other file like that before jumpimg thru a few hoops . 

so if you clicked on a hijacking link , it would not go thru but warn you that it was trying to install a file on your computer ,

them maybe even isolate and scan the ones you let thru before installing , 

```You need to make things " idiot proof"  so that  low level employees cannot make a mistake . or people like me :)

Note easily and not if you have the Home edition.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-an-application-whitelist-policy-in-windows/

16 hours ago, Chicog said:

You raise a good point, but a lot of that type of malware has been mitigated by Microsoft changing the default Autorun behaviour to off (why it on for so long I have no idea!).

This is a bit legacy, but if you are still running a legacy OS WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU it's worth installing.

http://www.pandasecurity.com/uk/homeusers/downloads/usbvaccine/

Yep, it is always a good idea to put a layer of protection on your ports. I might give the panda a twirl; i have been using USB Security for the last few years, and it has done me good, but always willing to change................;)

Link to the freeware: http://usb-disk-security.soft112.com/ 

• 3 weeks later...

To be deemed "approved", the security software must have passed the following requirements.

• The program can be installed and run without any error messages or other obvious problems.
  • After a system restart (at the latest), the software can be updated and activated without any obvious problems or error messages.
  • The product does not create any false alarms with operating-system files, cause crashes or affect normal operating system functionality.
  • The product registers as antivirus and antispyware (and firewall if applicable) with the Windows 10 Security and Maintenance applet in Control Panel. If the program’s real-time protection is disabled, a warning will be shown in the Windows 10 Security and Maintenance window.
  • Windows Defender is disabled, and Windows Firewall is appropriately configured by the product’s installer. If the product does not have its own firewall, Windows Firewall should be left running. If the product has its own firewall, Windows firewall should be disabled by setup, unless the product’s own firewall is designed to run alongside Windows Firewall, and also does this under Windows 8.1.
  • The program’s System Tray icon can be used to open its main window.
  • The program’s real-time protection protects the system against infection by recognized malware samples on both a USB flash drive and a network share.
  • An on-demand scan of recognized malware samples on a USB flash drive deletes or disables the malware.
  • The program detects and either blocks, deletes or disables recognized malware samples downloaded using both Windows 10’s integrated browsers, Edge and Internet Explorer.
  • The program can be uninstalled from Control Panel with no obvious problems or error messages; Windows Defender, and Windows Firewall where applicable, are automatically re-enabled after reboot.

On 10/28/2016 at 6:44 AM, chrisinth said:

It constantly amazes me how many people, when talking about virus threats automatically assume that all threats come from the internet. In my experience, this is simply not the case and have found that most infestations have been introduced through peripherals, such as thumb drives, external drives, flash cards, etc.

Add to this the occasions when some genius starts going on about how malware cannot be carried by an SD card, USB pen drive, etc.