Thai Science Ministry promotes electric vehicles

webfact

Ministry of Science and Technology promotes electric vehicles

BANGKOK, 17 November 2015 (NNT) -- Science and Technology Minister Pichet Durongkhawaroj discussed with members of the Electric Vehicle Association of Thailand ways and means to promote uses of electric automobiles in the country and set technical standards and regulations for such vehicles.

The minister said the government has focused on developing electric automobiles to be competitive in the world markets as well as raising public awareness of preserving environment, saving energy and reducing global warming.

Both public and private sectors in Thailand, especially automobile parts manufacturers, are yet to cooperate with one another and adapt to new innovations and technology for manufacturing electric vehicles, he said.

As the automobile industry is widely expanding in Thailand, they have to have plans for varied businesses ranging from the construction of battery charging stations, generating of electricity, testing of prototypes and expanding the markets for electric buses and motorcycles to the promoting of green tourism and preserving of natural resources and environment on sustainable basis.

Members of the Electric Vehicle Association of Thailand commented that encouraging consumers to use electric cars will benefit the country and society as a whole because they can help reduce oil imports and efficiently curtail impacts of consumed energy on the environment.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-11-17 footer_n.gif

For over 20 years my current eliminator dragster was the quickest and fastest electric in the world. I sure wish it was here it would open up some eyes.The old saying What races and wins on Sunday will sell on Monday.

Start small ,bicycles, tuk tuks,nevs ect.Prices that Thais can afford.Start tech coarse on install and repair of electrics and the support infrastructure .

I am Consulting on a horseless carriage now in Lampang.

For over 20 years my current eliminator dragster was the quickest and fastest electric in the world. I sure wish it was here it would open up some eyes.The old saying What races and wins on Sunday will sell on Monday.

Start small ,bicycles, tuk tuks,nevs ect.Prices that Thais can afford.Start tech coarse on install and repair of electrics and the support infrastructure .

Yes we need more dragsters in Bangkok, i agree with that. facepalm.gif

We need solarpowered vehicles and park them on the roof of the officebuildings.

Solar powered riverboats would also be great. Bangkok should go for solar power and small light vehicles.

I rented a electric motor bike in Kahbi last year for a day.It was a blast to drive,kept up with all the local traffic and I had the throttle on at least 4 hours and there was still 35 percent battery left.

It could cover the transport needs of many.

We need to consider that electric vehicles do not reduce consumption of energy, they are doing exactly the same work as any other engine and therefore require the same energy input.

The story says that using electric vehicles will help reduce the import requirements for oil, well this may be but will depend on how the electricity for recharging the batteries in the electric vehicles is generated, if oil powered then the demand for oil imports will increase, not decrease. Some electricity may be solar powered or nuclear.

My point is that the energy comes from somewhere. The best justification for electric powred vehicles, I think, is that they may reduce pollution, particularly in big cities like Bangkok.

Electric vehicles are much more efficient than internal combustion vehicles. Yes they still do use energy that can come fossil fuels but the pollution can be taken care of in bulk at the power plants.

Agreed, but the important thing is "the pollution can be taken care of in bulk", remember this is Thailand not Western Europe.

We need to consider that electric vehicles do not reduce consumption of energy, they are doing exactly the same work as any other engine and therefore require the same energy input.

The story says that using electric vehicles will help reduce the import requirements for oil, well this may be but will depend on how the electricity for recharging the batteries in the electric vehicles is generated, if oil powered then the demand for oil imports will increase, not decrease. Some electricity may be solar powered or nuclear.

My point is that the energy comes from somewhere. The best justification for electric powred vehicles, I think, is that they may reduce pollution, particularly in big cities like Bangkok.

Seems you overlooked the recent story about Thailand wanting more coal fired power stations....

I rented a electric motor bike in Kahbi last year for a day.It was a blast to drive,kept up with all the local traffic and I had the throttle on at least 4 hours and there was still 35 percent battery left.

It could cover the transport needs of many.

An enterprising chap has just opened an electric bike rental here on Phuket. Someone's seeing which way the wind's blowing. I wish him luck.

Yes we need more dragsters in Bangkok, i agree with that. facepalm.gif

We need solarpowered vehicles and park them on the roof of the officebuildings.

Solar powered riverboats would also be great. Bangkok should go for solar power and small light vehicles.

maybe it would be smarter to put solar cells on the office building and run the aircons with it, instead of drive them around. Run the cars with gas instead of electric and produce the electric with gas and coal.

Seems you overlooked the recent story about Thailand wanting more coal fired power stations....

basically than you run the vehicles on coal with an efficiency of 20 % or so.

Not sure about the efficiency of coal here in Thailand. I did visit a large coal mine and generating station in Lampang recently and will be back there soon.Not that we can tell by sight but the smoke stacks looked pretty clean.

Gas motors are very inefficient compared to electrics.

Actually there is a webaniar on this very subject soon.I could put up the info if the moderator allows

They offered for sale some Cool Electric Cars in Bangkok and I was considering buying one. But then I found out you can't get them insured or licensed as they are not allowed on the road.

A Plastic Motor Bike with only a Plastic Helmet is okay, but a car like this offering better protection is against the law. Although some hotels get away with them in Pattaya to take tourist around. But how they do I don't know.