Never Shutting Down.

ChiangMaiThai

Now that I seem to have DSL and there's a program I wouldn't mind running all the time, is there anything wrong with changing my power options so that my computer never shuts down, never hibernates and never goes into standby? Or is it good to shut down every so often? If so, how often?

I never shut down my computer...

I would think that it's better for the mechanics in the harddrive to not shut down, then have to start spinning up every day. But turn off your screen/monitor..

But it would be advisable to restart your system from time to time to free up some memory that some applications never give back to the system when closing (memory leaks).

My work PC is on all the time. Running XP. I find that I have to reboot about once per week or some programs start to have problems.

Many people running Linux can get away without a reboot for much longer.

If you are going to do this though you need to make sure that you allways have updated antivirus and antihacking software running otherwise you become an easy target.

right why shutdown?

when everything is running ok, (assuming that you have an UPS), why shut down and restart?

you might have to reboot windows sometime, just to put back some things in order.

the advice to turn of the screen is very right as the one to keep updated of antivirus and firewall or trojan removal progs.

one more, leave a screensaver and schedule a defragmentation on the screensaver time.

it happens at least once a day :o

francois

Guest chingy

the mystery of shut down or not shut down continue, for the last 10 year i been hearing this question over and over, which one is better but than again the answer conitnue lol

Many Xprtz say shuttin down bad thing coz use of power switch to turn on again can cause power surges and damage delicate bits over time. Hard disks also most vulnerable when starting up. Run - no problem. Stop - OK. Restart. No way. (Very important Macintosh disk is doing this to me at present!)

Good advice about firewall & anti virus. Do not connect to net if you do not have these fully up to date.

P

Leave it on...only concern if you are connected to dsl make sure you have good firewall/virus software installed to protect you against any possible intruders. Also power surge protectors.

Other than that- no reason not to leave the computer on- doesn't harm it in the slightest.

right why shutdown?

when everything is running ok, (assuming that you have an UPS), why shut down and restart?

Cause everything aint running OK. The main purpose of this particular machine to be on when i'm not using it is for file transfers and running a faily large MS-Access database.

Over the period of 7 days it gets slower and slower and then starts to have application failures.

Guest IT Manager

Have to agree with Frank.

I have just shut down a 2K servr for the first time in 6 months (including power outages, as we run a 750 KvA Gen-set for black outs).

Firewall it (Zonealarm, or mechanical, though check your router isn't a mechanica firewall), VET antivirus, cheap and good, and about once a week, give it very very short break.

Though these days card creep isn't an issue, with the older machines before all PCI cards, it became an issue in the hotter boxes.

We put together a machine about a year ago, Win 2K Pro SP 4, and put 7 fans in it. Has been shut down once.

But it would be advisable to restart your system from time to time to free up some memory that some applications never give back to the system when closing (memory leaks).

a small vbs file could do the trick :D

open a txt file and type :

FreeMem = Space(128000000)

and save it as free-mem.vbs this will free 128mb of ram, like 25% of your ram or 50%.

assuming that you have at least 256mb :D

if you have less than 256mb, set it to (80000000), this will free 80mb only :o

set it as hidden, and make a shortcut on desktop and put it on the quicklaunch bar to run it, then you can keep all files hidden as you wish.

you may put this vbs file anywhere on the C:\ ... anywhere :D

if on the desktop, don't need to make a shortcut though :D

don't forget to exclude this file from the virus-scan ...

hope it can help a bit

cheers

francois

yep the monitor could be a fire hazard if it is not let to go to standby.

temperature in the room that you are running your computer is an issue and the fans that cool your case,pwr supply , cpu and graphics cpu probably need to have some periodic maintenance.

as someone who only knows how to turn the damm thing on and turn the damm thing off,use the keyboard and connect to the internet i would be very grateful if someone could tell me.

1.what a firewall is and recommend one.

2.recommend a good antivirus software programme.

i use windows xp prof. on a monstrous machine that my nephew built. it has no name and takes ages to start up and sometimes shuts down itself claiming it was instructed my microsoft to do so.

thanks.

Guest chingy
1.what a firewall is and recommend one.
easy term you are a bank owner and you forgot to install an security alarm, the crook decide to break into you bank but he decided to go in the back door instead of front door, got in rob all your sh1t, and then remeber that you for got to install a firewall(security alarm)

if you're running xp you should have a firewall built in Start/setting/Control Panel/internet connection firewall

2.recommend a good antivirus software programme

i use McAfee

thanks for the explanation chingy, but i cant see any mention of a firewall under the internet controls. this machine is running something called symantec anti virus though, it seems to be bubbling away in the background all the time.

hi'

my 2B here ...

it's in the connection options, advanced/protect my com against ... blablabla ...

check the box and apply OK :o

norton pops up some message of it's activity .. nothing but normal, keep it up to date :D

francois