Would you still come to Thailand to Live Today?

NoshowJones

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be in South America or the Philippines.

Maybe France or Spain.

Anywhere with good cycling weather would do.

Thailand has nothing special ...... temples and hookers.

One you've done a dozen, you've done them all.

"Thailand has nothing special ...... temples and hookers."

why are you here, i wonder, if you are so small-minded?

thailand has a fascinating culture, a very beautiful language , fantastic beaches, breathtaking nationalparks, the best food in the world, smiling people everywhere, very good infrastructure, good medical care, and all that for a fraction of the price in cold western countries.

I'm here because I like hookers ..........

Culture = greed, language = err, which one?, beaches = dirty, sea = sewage, national parks 10x price + litter, food = loaded with MSG, smiling = false smiles

Spain, South of France, Portugal beat Thailand on every point you raised.

Culture is better and more diverse, languages are easier and consistent throughout each country, beaches are cleaner, sea is WAY better, parks are litter free at no charge, food is higher quality and more diverse, when they smile, they mean it. ........ hookers aren't so widespread though.

Agree, and I would add Greece and parts of Italy, which IMO have better food, weather, nature, culture, are cleaner, safer and in many cases friendlier - you can have a real conversation with people about a variety of topics.

Thailand's only advantages over these European countries are the availability of younger women, lower cost of living and easy retirement visa for those over 50.

I pissed and moaned for years of how Thailand sucked. Then I moved to Zihuatanejo, Mexico to try a new life. After two weeks I've booked my return flight to Thailand. Bitch as much as you want, but realize for all its faults, Thailand ROCKS!! It might not be for everybody, but I plan to call it home for the foreseeable future. Trip report details in a few days.

Agree, and I would add Greece and parts of Italy, which IMO have better food, weather, nature, culture, are cleaner, safer and in many cases friendlier - you can have a real conversation with people about a variety of topics.

Thailand's only advantages over these European countries are the availability of younger women, lower cost of living and easy retirement visa for those over 50.

Not sure the cost of living in Spain is any lower than Thailand, especially if you like wine and cheese.

As for VISA, I don't need one, I have the right to live with my family and work in any EEC country.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Not sure the cost of living in Spain is any lower than Thailand, especially if you like wine and cheese.

As for VISA, I don't need one, I have the right to live with my family and work in any EEC country.

Did you mean "not sure the cost of living in Thailand is any lower than Spain" ?

Well many things are cheaper in Thailand, but certainly not Western and Mediterranean food.

But HooHaa, forget about tourists for a minute, the main thing I'm on about is expats who come to Thailand on holiday, love it,

and decide they want to stay here.

Think about these people who are over fifty, and don't want to get married to start with, some will say that if they cannot afford

800.000 Bt in their bank account for retirement extensions, they can't afford to live in Thailand. That is rubbish, how many working class people in the

UK have about 15000 GBP in their bank account? They are too busy paying expensive heating bills, council tax etc,etc. to save that amount of money.

Some people, both over and under fifty, can live quite easily in Thailand, on about 30.000 Bt per month, there is the state pension, private pensions, rental from

properties etc,etc. They can rent a cheap apartment, even afford to drink some days, and live quite comfortably.

These people cannot live comfortably in the UK, but can easily do that in Thailand, while contributing to the economy.

Thailand needs to find a way of catering for them, and giving them the chance to live here.

Instead of the 800,000Baht and 400,000Baht, would it not be better if they were to issue a visa for a more permanent type of stay which required the applicant to deposit 500,000Baht to cover any medical type emergencies,and it would be fully refunded on departure.
Sounds a lot like the Philippines SRRV approach where you deposit US$20,000 in an approved bank account. They even have a version for "Ailing Retirees" where the deposit is US$10,000 for end of term care.

I've seen a few comments saying how people should be able to stay as long as they like because they spend 1 or 2Million+ THB every year, but the reason the Thais may not welcome this with as open arms as you'd think is that the influx of (disproportionate) wealth leads to higher prices & the locals needing higher wages to live the same quality of life (which in turn leads to higher prices... ) or live a lower quality of life & get peeved at the Government.

Personally I think they should have some kind of quota system for residency/stay with points (IMHO in weighted order) being given based on...

1. Family Ties (Direct/1st as in Parents, Kids, Wife are Thai).

2. Employment (could be split ala Singapore where they have different quotas from Domestic/Construction workers on S-Passes through to Employment Passes for Execs/Key Technical ).

3. Investment

<<< Edit... 3B... Retirement>>>

4. Educational

5. Tourist

With the length of stay ranging...

1. Permanent

2. Length of employment (no crap about renewing work permits every year or 90 day reporting)

3. Length of Investment (though should need to do something with the money within X-period of time & not just leave it sat in the bank).

<<<3B... As long as they can maintain the required funds necessary to live & for medical care>>>

4. Length of the official course (again, shouldn't need 90 day reporting).

5. Length of trip (within reason, again I don't see the point in 90 day reporting if the hotel/landlord reports for you).

Edit Apologies, I hit reply before composing all my thoughts (phew I hear you say), so rushed to edit it before too many people saw it 1/2 complete...

EDIT 2. Sorry, I missed Retirement!!! should be in between Investment & Education IMHO.

Edited by JB300

Your 1 - 5 points, I do not fall into category, but I can live here.

It is all a bit hypothetical.

Neither do I (nor retirement which in my haste I'd missed) but should I be able to if I don't fall into one of those categories?

I can't live in the US or Singapore or Australia etc... So why should I be able to live in Thailand just because I have a bit more money than the locals?

I can't live in the US or Singapore or Australia etc... So why should I be able to live in Thailand just because I have a bit more money than the locals?

Most western people can live in the USA for 6 months of the year without problems.

Don't know about Singapore or Australia.

Can holiday in the USA for 6 months yes... But I was trying (& failing miserably) to suggest there should be easier ways for people to stay longer (even live permanently) based on their "Connection" to Thailand as other countries do.

• 2 weeks later...

You have a point, but there should be some sort of visa to allow the under fifties to retire here provided they are

contributing to the economy.

The elite visa is only for the rich who can afford to lose 500.000 Baht every five years, not fair I would say.

What sort of visa is there for the under fifties to retire here, that is nothing to do with tourism, and they don' want to get married.

Thailand needs to have a big rethink about this.

so fly out every 3 months and get a new single entry visa. not a big deal.

if you cant afford a cheap flight every 3 months money is your problem, not the visa.

I pissed and moaned for years of how Thailand sucked. Then I moved to Zihuatanejo, Mexico to try a new life. After two weeks I've booked my return flight to Thailand. Bitch as much as you want, but realize for all its faults, Thailand ROCKS!! It might not be for everybody, but I plan to call it home for the foreseeable future. Trip report details in a few days.

did the mexico things as well. came running back to thailand with my tail between my legs.

You have a point, but there should be some sort of visa to allow the under fifties to retire here provided they are

contributing to the economy.

The elite visa is only for the rich who can afford to lose 500.000 Baht every five years, not fair I would say.

What sort of visa is there for the under fifties to retire here, that is nothing to do with tourism, and they don' want to get married.

Thailand needs to have a big rethink about this.

so fly out every 3 months and get a new single entry visa. not a big deal.

if you cant afford a cheap flight every 3 months money is your problem, not the visa.

Absolute garbage. bah.gifbah.gif

There are some posters who appear to be enjoying living here for reasons other than the frequently stated ones such as low cost of living, nightlife scene, availability of young girls etc, etc. which is (in a nutshell) why i am here for so many months of the Year. If i want great beaches, beautiful sea to swim in, good weather (both sun and snow options) cities full of art and culture i can get in Europe. Can someone enlighten me as to what it is about Thailand other than the above mentioned that they really like or enjoy so much and what i am missing out on here.

There are some posters who appear to be enjoying living here for reasons other than the frequently stated ones such as low cost of living, nightlife scene, availability of young girls etc, etc. which is (in a nutshell) why i am here for so many months of the Year. If i want great beaches, beautiful sea to swim in, good weather (both sun and snow options) cities full of art and culture i can get in Europe. Can someone enlighten me as to what it is about Thailand other than the above mentioned that they really like or enjoy so much and what i am missing out on here.

If you've been here and can't find anything good about the place, there's probably not much point in trying to explain it.

Why come here then ?

Art and culture in Europe, what is that all about ?

i go to Thailand for:

1. art museum

2. musicals

3. clean air

4. quiet

5. free of aids

6. no visa problems

7. music

8. good steaks........

so the answer is no. but visit, sure....

America is getting much more EXPENSIVE now......1 Bedroom is averaging 1,000 USD a month in most cities. plus another 1,000 on utilities, food, etc.... plus another 1,000 a month if you need car, and traveling expenses.....plus another 1,000 for fun or buying things.....

Why come here then ?

Can you enlighten me why you are posting on a Thailand forum ?

I'm not really sure what you're asking in its entirety but, to me, it's the following.

Thailand is the 'wild east'. There's no nanny state (even with the attempted rules of the military junta atm). You can't really get around with your head up your own ass in a western like 9-5 zombie fashion as shit can, and does, go wrong very quickly. As foreigners we aren't protected from ourselves or insulated from our mistakes as much as we are back home, I like that.

It's also a great hub for world travel. Obviously the cost of travelling to eastern countries is minimal. My gf is Filipino and has been away from her family in PI for a long time.

Her mother also lives in the UK which is just 10 hours away by plane rather than the 24+ hours from Australia.

Thais are extremely fun and happy people, especially away from the tourist cities. They're very welcoming and always up for a good time wether it be drinking, dancing or cooking. I've had a few amazing times up country that I'll never forget and they were the reason I fell in love with Thailand.

The ability to ride or drive to so many different interesting places and countries is fantastic. And the wether stays the same beautifully warm temperature, no need for putting snow chains on, checking snow reports etc.

I hope this answered your question in the way that you wanted.....

If you've been here and can't find anything good about the place, there's probably not much point in trying to explain it.

So please please tell me what it is you like about Thailand so much, i am genuinely interested. In hindsight i don't think i phrased my original question very well, i want to understand what those who don't come here for nightscene, cheap prices and girls do come for.

Why come here then ?
I stated that quite clearly i come for cost of living, great nightlife, women. What i am not understanding is why people ( some of whom would be disapproving of my reasons for being here) are staying here, what are their reasons. In a couple of Posts above MadMuhummad did answer my question without being judgemental about why i asked. I think the point he made about the Thai people always being up and ready for a bit of fun, is a good one and a positive that i have also often seen.

I'm not really sure what you're asking in its entirety but, to me, it's the following.

Thailand is the 'wild east'. There's no nanny state (even with the attempted rules of the military junta atm). You can't really get around with your head up your own ass in a western like 9-5 zombie fashion as shit can, and does, go wrong very quickly. As foreigners we aren't protected from ourselves or insulated from our mistakes as much as we are back home, I like that.

It's also a great hub for world travel. Obviously the cost of travelling to eastern countries is minimal. My gf is Filipino and has been away from her family in PI for a long time.

Her mother also lives in the UK which is just 10 hours away by plane rather than the 24+ hours from Australia.

Thais are extremely fun and happy people, especially away from the tourist cities. They're very welcoming and always up for a good time wether it be drinking, dancing or cooking. I've had a few amazing times up country that I'll never forget and they were the reason I fell in love with Thailand.

The ability to ride or drive to so many different interesting places and countries is fantastic. And the wether stays the same beautifully warm temperature, no need for putting snow chains on, checking snow reports etc.

I hope this answered your question in the way that you wanted.....

Thanks that is what i was looking for, i like also that Thailand is not a Nanny state but i think it is becoming more like one. Police on every corner in Chiang Mai in contrast to having been in Greek Islands for 5 weeks, barely saw a Policeman and nobody wearing helmets

So please please tell me what it is you like about Thailand so much, i am genuinely interested. In hindsight i don't think i phrased my original question very well, i want to understand what those who don't come here for nightscene, cheap prices and girls do come for.

Get out of the bars and explore. You might just answer the question yourself.

Get out of the bars and explore. You might just answer the question yourself.

Oh i have explored a lot, i don't go to bars until 10 pm and only some days so i have a lot of time to explore, keep fit etc. But as i anticipated you have made incorrect assumptions and again evaded the question. What is it you like about Thailand?

I've answered that question countless times, as have many others. I'm not going to do so again just so you can tell me how wrong I am.

Let's just say that the good far outweighs the bad, if people have been here long enough, they will know what all these good things are.