Thai immigration arrests North Koreans for illegal entry

webfact

Beyond appalling.

One can only hope that South Korea will make the gesture that Thailand refuses to make, otherwise these poor people are facing an absolute nightmare.

'Land of Smiles', huh ?

Edited by Yann55

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And with the well known Thai welcoming spirit, off they go back to N. Korea, as always.sad.png

Minus the 15,000 baht, of course.

coffee1.gif

yes ..Jump out of the boat.$6000 + illegals entering each pay $1000 + $8000 for not use other ways to get into the kingdom ..Good Luck to all that wants to get away from crazy government and deserve better life

It is the informal policy of Thailand to deport North Koreans to South Korea.

http://www.hurights.or.jp/archives/focus/section2/2007/06/destination-thailand-the-case-of-north-korean-asylum-seekers.html

The article above is somewhat dated, but I believe that the policy remains unchanged.

Right, which is why they came all the way to Thailand. Think for a minute: Why didn't they just stop running in China or Laos? Because Thailand is the destination for these political refugees, specifically due to the policy cited above. China and Laos are communist countries who don't want to ruin their relationships with NK.

This is not an isolated incident. It was well-documented in a National Geographic article in about 2010. I posted the link the last time a story like this hit TV. Busy this morning, or I would find it again, but it's not hard to search on NG's website if you're interested.

And with the well known Thai welcoming spirit, off they go back to N. Korea, as always.sad.png

South Korea could always strike an agreement with the Thai govt to take in these and future North Koreans, but they did not give such an undertaking.

We should then ask, "Why not?".

We could ask why as well?

Given the lunatic who is in charge of the north, he would only need a minor incident for an excuse to chuck a tantrum against the south as he often does. In addition, Thailand does not have open borders like those idiots in Europe, look at what they've got.

Also they're not South Korean Citizens and if having no papers, how can they know who or what they are except what they're being told, and today, no one should take any chances. They would have known the risks involved and unfortunately, they're extremely high in that neck of the woods.

"Immigration police said all would be sent back and were asking help from South Korean embassy to communicate with these illegal migrants."

These folks are all trying to reach the South Korea embassy to get asylum and resettle. But I wonder why Thailand needs to get help from the South Korean embassy to help communicate to sent them back, when there is actually a North Korea embassy here too.

North Korea embassy here also runs a korea restaurant which is somewhat popular.

I am usually strongly against permission to enter for any type of migrants, refugees etc. but in this case I would be better send them to South Korea. because I really know that life in North Korea is harsh and these people come to Thailand not to establish Sharia law and impose their religion.

they are not Muslims so they should be allowed to enter and apply for a refuge in the South Korea embassy.

A post violating forum rules has been removed from view.

In using Thai Visa you agree to abide by the following terms:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.*
Discussion of the Lese Majeste law or Lese Majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Yet they let terrorist bombers in for a few hundred dollars under the table.

the immigration officials who are responsible for sending these people back to north korea and certain death are truly, truly disgusting people! they should burn in hell when they finally kick the bucket! surely they are not buddhist but scavengers who are after the almighty baht! thailand should be ashamed of these clowns but that is unlikely judging from their past actions.

South Korea could always strike an agreement with the Thai govt to take in these and future North Koreans, but they did not give such an undertaking.

Given the lunatic who is in charge of the north, he would only need a minor incident for an excuse to chuck a tantrum against the south as he often does. In addition, Thailand does not have open borders like those idiots in Europe, look at what they've got.

Also they're not South Korean Citizens and if having no papers, how can they know who or what they are except what they're being told, and today, no one should take any chances. They would have known the risks involved and unfortunately, they're extremely high in that neck of the woods.

It is a fallacy to say the DPRK is run by lunatics. They know exactly what they are doing.

Pray they are given asylum in S. Korea. Certain death awaits them if sent back to the North.

Jail time and a kicking is more likely these days. The economy and food situation is improving and the DPRK authorities generally just aren't as bothered about things like this as they uzed to be.

Actually I read from great improvements and a middle class forming. Of course from their level an increase of 20% is still not much. But it seems the fatty is doing better than his dad.

what a surprise from you! defending the North Koreans instead of decrying your Junta for lack of compassionate understanding

I am usually strongly against permission to enter for any type of migrants, refugees etc. but in this case I would be better send them to South Korea. because I really know that life in North Korea is harsh and these people come to Thailand not to establish Sharia law and impose their religion.

they are not Muslims so they should be allowed to enter and apply for a refuge in the South Korea embassy.

You would oppose muslims trying to get refuge in a muslim country? How odd.

http://www.hurights.or.jp/archives/focus/section2/2007/06/destination-thailand-the-case-of-north-korean-asylum-seekers.html

The article above is somewhat dated, but I believe that the policy remains unchanged.

Traditionally that has been the case, off to S. K. but who knows with the new and shifting national alliences it wil be interesting to see where they go. They recently sent 2 U.N .recognized political refugees to Red China, democracy activists no less.

Where or what is Red China?

Are you really that young to not remember the days when Mainland China, Peoples Republic of China was referred to as "Red" to distinguish it from Taiwan, that liked to be be called The Republic of China (ROC) ? They were red cuz they were and maybe still are commies.... commies and chinese like red.

If you ask a Thai or Lao person where certain products are made, most will answer "Red China" for mainland China, I doubt it is because "Chinese like red" but most likely does refer to Communism.

Edited by Lee4Life

It is a fallacy to say the DPRK is run by lunatics. They know exactly what they are doing.

I wish you would learn to read. I didn't say lunatics, (plural) I said lunatic (singular), just to help you. and if killing off you relatives and other who pose a threat to your leadership isn't signs of lunacy, please tell me what is. Never made any comment as to what they know or don't know, so what are you on about?

I wish you would learn to read. I didn't say lunatics, (plural) I said lunatic (singular), just to help you. and if killing off you relatives and other who pose a threat to your leadership isn't signs of lunacy, please tell me what is. Never made any comment as to what they know or don't know, so what are you on about?

OK, lunatic singular it is. Which relatives has he had killed - the one who showed up a few months after her execution? The uncle who was in fact not eaten by dogs?

Traditionally that has been the case, off to S. K. but who knows with the new and shifting national alliences it wil be interesting to see where they go. They recently sent 2 U.N .recognized political refugees to Red China, democracy activists no less.

Are you really that young to not remember the days when Mainland China, Peoples Republic of China was referred to as "Red" to distinguish it from Taiwan, that liked to be be called The Republic of China (ROC) ? They were red cuz they were and maybe still are commies.... commies and chinese like red.

China has never officially been referred to as "Red China" by anyone or any state except a few who use the derogatory term "commies" as a sneering slur.

But in places which have seen little influence from the West and where ignorance is rife among rural folk out in the sticks, old-style Asian communists still exist. And they don't realise the stigma the years have given to the commie-colour red which makes it quite amusing when they seem proud to wear it.

What is really ignorant is condescending people like you claiming that "rural folk out in the sticks...don't realise the stigma the years have given to the commie-colour red". The colour red has had no particularly nasty stigma attached to it for donkeys years except to the dyed-in-the-wool bigots.

Yup : Asia has a history of communist influence which is what the Vietnam war was all about. The threat to democracy has pretty much died out now due to Western influence and people realizing that under a communist government, they are going to remain poor while those 'more equal than others' have cart blanche to steal for themselves.

But in places which have seen little influence from the West and where ignorance is rife among rural folk out in the sticks, old-style Asian communists still exist. And they don't realise the stigma the years have given to the commie-colour red which makes it quite amusing when they seem proud to wear it.

It would seem that old style western fascists are alive and kicking as well!

There is something very seriously wrong in Thailand - if people fleeing persecution & certain death are not given either refuge or safe passage to another country. Given the 'people-smuggling' we have seen over the past 10 years (with the Army involved at Senior, Middle & Lower ranks), given corruption which is institutionalized, given 2 sides in politics who easily resort to violence..........add in Thailand's betrayal & brutal attitude towards helpless people like North Korean refugees. Shame. I weep for my country coz' things seem to get more corrupt & more mindless with each passing day. Thailand is becoming the 'basket-case' of Asia.

And you know the fleeing persecution & certain death? Or they are just migrants who want to ear more money?

Thailand has for sure some big problems (these slave labor camps.....), but look to Paris, that happens if you let in everyone who claims problems at home. Look at Bangkok bombing. If the just would have found and sent him home earlier it wouldn't have happened.

Being nice and helpful is one thing, but the country has to protect the own people first. NK is poor, but it doesn't kill own people without reasons. It is a poor but safe country.

maybe you should move to NK if you think its that safe. What utter nonesense. These people need protecting.

OK, lunatic singular it is. Which relatives has he had killed - the one who showed up a few months after her execution? The uncle who was in fact not eaten by dogs?

Look it up, do you want everything done for you?

Edited by Si Thea01

Bit pointless looking up what didn't happen...

Bit pointless looking up what didn't happen...

According to you It didn't happen, so why not find something to prove me wrong? I am not the one disputing this lunatic's atrocities and no, I am not referring to the dog story.

I just hope that these people had a little holiday time in Laos before

getting busted in Thailand. I doubt that it is a very good life for anyone

in North Korea, except for the few that are in good standings with the NK leader.

Maybe they will do okay in South Korea, sure hope so anyway.