BUPA - Thailand experiences

baneko

I have had the same plan for 4 years and have not had to use it until this year out of a 49,500 inpatient bill they covered all but 132 baht. I have 4 mates who use Bupa and they all have glowing reports. The best in Thailand by far!!!!!

Sorry if you mentioned earlier but which Bupa policy do you have and is it local or International?

Any reason why they did not cover the 132 baht as a 50k bill is not much in the overall scheme of things?

All Bupa policies issued here cover you internationally except in the USA.

The 132 Baht not covered was some additional meds i requested after the bill had been already approved and it was not worth my time to have then go through it again.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hardly a "waste" to get 5 mill cover for under 50K baht.

I've had BUPA for about 10 years, 3 claims in that period all piad directly to the hospital with no problem.

Usually problems arise whehe claim is during the first year of coverage, in which case they may suspect an undisclosed pre-existingcondition especially if it was something relatef to chronic disease like cancer, heart attack, stroke.

That said, with BUPA or any othet policy issued in Thailand there is the problem that they can legally cancel your policy at any time or up your premium above and beyond normal age telated increases. This isn't going to happen over a few claims but could if you develop a serious chronic condition likely to entail ongoing costs long term. Something to worry about especially if you are getting on in years and planning to live here for the duration. I'm looking now at international policies for that reason.

Sheryl, What international policies are you looking at. I know BUPA in UK seems to have no age limit. My father was still getting coverage by them at the age of 83.

I have had the same plan for 4 years and have not had to use it until this year out of a 49,500 inpatient bill they covered all but 132 baht. I have 4 mates who use Bupa and they all have glowing reports. The best in Thailand by far!!!!!

Sorry if you mentioned earlier but which Bupa policy do you have and is it local or International?

Any reason why they did not cover the 132 baht as a 50k bill is not much in the overall scheme of things?

The 132 Baht not covered was some additional meds i requested after the bill had been already approved and it was not worth my time to have then go through it again.

actually not. Platinum plan does but not the others as I recall. Of course Platinum is the only one worth getting anyhow as the other plans have absurdly low caps.

• 1 month later...

A question for those of you who know BUPA well

• I opened a BUPA International policy about 20 years ago from the UK, and the monthly premiums are starting to get a little painful
  • I have lived in several countries outside the UK since then. Each time I asked BUPA if the premium should be different, and they said "no"
  • Now I have been living in Thailand for 3 years and my friends here cannot understand why I am paying so much
  • Again, when I moved to Thailand, I asked BUPA International and they said "no change"
Having now met with a very helpful insurance broker, I realise I have been asking the wrong question……my policy/premiums/coverage is based on the fact that I started with a UK policy, and the premiums reflect the cost of medical care in the UK!
I should have asked could I transfer to a local BUPA policy with local premiums and local coverage.
Lets just say that BUPA have been economical with the truth to me……or just lied to me.
My question - does anyone have experience "transferring" from BUPA International to BUPA Thailand?
Is it possible/easy?
Is it considered a new policy and therefore you lose any pre-existing conditions?
Thanks

I have had a Bupa account similar to yours for 4 years now and I have had the occasion to use it 2 times, both times they covered everything but some medication all in all about 99% of the bis, no hassle whats so ever.

My girlfriend went in for an out patient procedure which we have no coverage for and they paid 100% of it , we were shocked.

I have no experience with the call centre.

I have several friends who have out and there experience3s have been great.

I have yet to hear a BAD STORY ABOUT THEM.

at 43k it's a waste, save it up at that rate

43k per year.....usual heart attack cost 300000-400000. Around 7-10yrs uninsured 300000-400000. No thanks. World cover. I'll pay.

INCORRECT.....The average price to have a major heart problem done is 800,000. and if you have a heart problem and don't have enough saved?

actually not. Platinum plan does but not the others as I recall. Of course Platinum is the only one worth getting anyhow as the other plans have absurdly low caps.

i don't have platinum and i have international coverage....

So what do you have?

Not sure if you will get baneko's question (because of the quotes) so can you tell us what you have and what limit it has - especially seeing that Sheryl believes anything other than Platinum has very low limits and you have already stated the average cost for just a heart issue could be 800k?

I am genuinely curious as, like Lanna, I need to sort something out and it is valuable to hear real world experiences. Thanks.

• I opened a BUPA International policy about 20 years ago from the UK, and the monthly premiums are starting to get a little painful
  • I have lived in several countries outside the UK since then. Each time I asked BUPA if the premium should be different, and they said "no"
  • Now I have been living in Thailand for 3 years and my friends here cannot understand why I am paying so much
  • Again, when I moved to Thailand, I asked BUPA International and they said "no change"
Having now met with a very helpful insurance broker, I realise I have been asking the wrong question……my policy/premiums/coverage is based on the fact that I started with a UK policy, and the premiums reflect the cost of medical care in the UK!
I should have asked could I transfer to a local BUPA policy with local premiums and local coverage.
Lets just say that BUPA have been economical with the truth to me……or just lied to me.
My question - does anyone have experience "transferring" from BUPA International to BUPA Thailand?
Is it possible/easy?
Is it considered a new policy and therefore you lose any pre-existing conditions?
Thanks

I suggest you check the coverage (available to see online) and compare to your current policy - I think you will find a world of difference and also see Sheryl's earlier comment about Thai insurers potential "practices".

I would further suggest it would be very unlikely (and would be poor business for the company to do that) that you will lose pre existing and, even if they said so, unless you get it written in stone, you may get a shock if you tried to claim. However you can but ask.............

Is it possible/easy?
Thanks

I suggest you check the coverage (available to see online) and compare to your current policy - I think you will find a world of difference and also see Sheryl's earlier comment about Thai insurers potential "practices".

I would further suggest it would be very unlikely (and would be poor business for the company to do that) that you will lose pre existing and, even if they said so, unless you get it written in stone, you may get a shock if you tried to claim. However you can but ask.............

There is a massive difference in the premiums (much, much lower) because the cost of treatment in Thailand is much much lower, but you are covered for the same type of problems/treatment

That is what BUPA failed to explain to me when I told them I was moving to live in Thailand

Before I confront BUPA, my real question to the forum members is "has anyone actually done this before?"

Sorry I can't answer this question, haven't heard if anyone doing this.

But it would not be accurate to think that it would just be a switch from one branch of the same company to another with a lower level of cover and thus lower premiums.

The entire contract, including such key provisions as whether/when the company can drop you/refuse to renew your policy or raise your premiums, and what recourse (if any) you have if there is a dispute, will be different.

BUPA Thailand policies allow them to not renew your policy at will, even if you have done nothing wrong and made regular payments. it also allows them to raise your rates at will to whatever they see fit should your "risk profile" change, in other words if you develop serious chronic health problems. this is apart from the rise in premiums that occurs with age, that you cannot avoid anywhere in the world with any company. But with UK/EU based insurers there is a much tighter regulatory framework and the increases will be usually be limited to those due to moving from one age band to another or across the board inflationary increases affecting all clients.

UK/EU based insurance company offices usually have some sort of ombudsman/person to whom you can address complaints and problems. You will not have that with BUPA Thailand and should you have a problem or complaint you will find it very, very hard to get through to anyone with the authority and inclination to deal with the matter. You can appeal to the Thai Insurance Commission but that is a pretty drastic and complicated step especially if you do not speak Thai.

I am also not at all sure that they would treat your policy as a transfer rather than an altogether new policy request, but that part you should be able to find out just by calling them.

I am not saying you should stay with BUPA UK (among other things, there are less expensive options for UK/EU-issued Expat health insurance), just pointing out some of the things to be aware of. A change to BUPA Thailand is not just a change in premiums and coverage cap.

Sorry I can't answer this question, haven't heard if anyone doing this.

But it would not be accurate to think that it would just be a switch from one branch of the same company to another with a lower level of cover and thus lower premiums.

The entire contract, including such key provisions as whether/when the company can drop you/refuse to renew your policy or raise your premiums, and what recourse (if any) you have if there is a dispute, will be different.

BUPA Thailand policies allow them to not renew your policy at will, even if you have done nothing wrong and made regular payments. it also allows them to raise your rates at will to whatever they see fit should your "risk profile" change, in other words if you develop serious chronic health problems. this is apart from the rise in premiums that occurs with age, that you cannot avoid anywhere in the world with any company. But with UK/EU based insurers there is a much tighter regulatory framework and the increases will be usually be limited to those due to moving from one age band to another or across the board inflationary increases affecting all clients.

UK/EU based insurance company offices usually have some sort of ombudsman/person to whom you can address complaints and problems. You will not have that with BUPA Thailand and should you have a problem or complaint you will find it very, very hard to get through to anyone with the authority and inclination to deal with the matter. You can appeal to the Thai Insurance Commission but that is a pretty drastic and complicated step especially if you do not speak Thai.

I am also not at all sure that they would treat your policy as a transfer rather than an altogether new policy request, but that part you should be able to find out just by calling them.

I am not saying you should stay with BUPA UK (among other things, there are less expensive options for UK/EU-issued Expat health insurance), just pointing out some of the things to be aware of. A change to BUPA Thailand is not just a change in premiums and coverage cap.

Thank you. Very helpful. I think subconsciously those issues have been at the back of my mind, and are stopping me just changing….

Is there a thread about the "less expensive UK/EU expat health insurance options" somewhere?

Or are there 3 or 4 name of companies you can throw out there so I do a little research??

Thanks again

I know Cigna Global is the least expensive worldwide cover for older (i.e. over 60) people among insurers with direct reimbursement arrangements with Thai hospitals. Among younger people there is a wider range of choice so I don't know if Cigna would still be the lowest cost. Also have not looked at costs among insurers without direct billing arrangements.

Advisable to use an insurance broker to get full listing of options and comparison of different policies.

Re Cigna: their admin staff are incredibly inept so anticipate having to do a lot of phoning etc to get your claims processed. It really is just ineptitude, they are nice enough and claims do eventually get settled. If you buy through a broker, broker might help run interference when needed.

On plus side Cigna has the most reasonable/liberal approach to pre-existing conditions that I have so far encountered.

April has a plan specific to SE Asia which is even less expensive (with a lower benefit cap of $500k -- which is still fine for Thailand. It covers you only in Thailand and neighboring countries, not worldwide. I am trying to find out more about it so if anyone has had experience with it pls speak up...

I have had BUPA platinum here in Thailand for over 10 years. Made various claims and every time no problem, so i can fully recommend BUPA.

thanks BUPA is the route I'm going down too after lots research

So is the BUPA Platinum purchased in Thailand the way to go or is it better to buy it in your western home country?

Well I bought my BUPA policy in Thailand. My guess is the cost is perhaps less buying it here in Thailand than in other countries but really I have no idea, so maybe others can advise you on that. Alternatively if you are not in Thailand speak to your local BUPA office and see what they say.

Edited by R123

Well I bought my BUPA policy in Thailand. My guess is the cost is perhaps less buying it here in Thailand than in other countries but really I have no idea, so maybe others can advise you on that. Alternatively if you are not in Thailand speak to your local BUPA office and see what they say.

Actually, I would be looking for world-wide coverage too because I don't spend the whole year in Thailand. I spend a few months in Canada and want to also spend a few months in the US where I have family, and the rest of the time primarily in Thailand. I also want to be covered if I travel elsewhere for shorter trips.

I have coverage in Canada but loose it if I am out of my home province longer than 7 months in a calendar year. Since I would not meet that restriction with my current plan, I would like to find good cover for mainly catastrophic medical requirements worldwide, including the US. If this is not possible or affordable at my age (65), then I will have to re-think my future and possible stay in Canada for the minimum 5 months in order to keep insured there.

The BUPA platinum coverage which I took out in Thailand is worldwide except not for the USA. I assume I could get coverage for the USA from BUPA by paying extra. But I have no intention of traveling into the States.

Canuck50 bearing in mind your age and your particular requirements you really need to either direct your questions to an independent Insurance expert/agent with the necessary knowledge or to see if BUPA can help you, then talk to them directly.

Been with BUPA for 10 years, Thai wife and I covered under the Ruby policy about 26k THB per year. Never had to make any sort of claim. I came here with a heart condition, declared it under pre existing conditions and have a list of exclusions as long as your arm. Took it out anyway in case I fell off my bike etc. Been reading up on ThaiLife and there is an agent in our Soi so may change as the fees and coverage appears better.

I have been with Bupa Thailand since 1999. I am on Premium 5 millions without OPD for both my son and myself. I used to take the OPD options for few years but the extra cost for this options is not very interesting for us as we are not much sick in a year time and cheaper to pay the OPD fees myself.

No problem at all with Bupa Thailand. Never had big health issues neither but got few incidents such as broken arm, big sick which required inpatient treatments and all was taking care by Bupa, just presenting the Member card at the hospital and no payment in advance.

Also got a cheque some years for not having used the coverage during the all year.

My ex-wife who also has the same plan with Bupa got a terrible car accident few year ago on her way from Bangkok to Phuket, around Surathani area. She was seriously injured and transported to the nearest hospital in Surathani area. As soon as Bupa were informed about her accident, she has been transfered to Bangkok Phuket hospital for better treatments by helicopter, spent 6 months in hospital + another 6 months in rehabilitation. The total cost of medical interventions reached few millions bahts which was fully covered by Bupa. If she did not have this health insurance, the decision in Surathani hospital was amputation of her both legs. After a year, she started to walk again

• 2 months later...

I have been with Bupa Thailand since 1999. I am on Premium 5 millions without OPD for both my son and myself. I used to take the OPD options for few years but the extra cost for this options is not very interesting for us as we are not much sick in a year time and cheaper to pay the OPD fees myself.

No problem at all with Bupa Thailand. Never had big health issues neither but got few incidents such as broken arm, big sick which required inpatient treatments and all was taking care by Bupa, just presenting the Member card at the hospital and no payment in advance.

Also got a cheque some years for not having used the coverage during the all year.

My ex-wife who also has the same plan with Bupa got a terrible car accident few year ago on her way from Bangkok to Phuket, around Surathani area. She was seriously injured and transported to the nearest hospital in Surathani area. As soon as Bupa were informed about her accident, she has been transfered to Bangkok Phuket hospital for better treatments by helicopter, spent 6 months in hospital + another 6 months in rehabilitation. The total cost of medical interventions reached few millions bahts which was fully covered by Bupa. If she did not have this health insurance, the decision in Surathani hospital was amputation of her both legs. After a year, she started to walk again

Amazing story man. I nearly lost my leg too if I wouldn't have been transferred from a government hospital to a private hospital in bangkok a few months ago.

I have had them for 5 years now in Thailand and they have been absolutely brilliant, On two occasion they even covered some out patient procedures which should not have been covered. Spent 2 days in the hospital last year with DENGUE fever and they covered 100%. I have 5 friends here also and there stories are similar...ABSOLUTELY BEEN EXCELLENT!