drive to Siam reap?

gingerandtabby

I have a 1997 Toyota Saluna in pretty good condition.with about 92,000km on it. Would the car be able to drive the mountains and roads of Cambodia to get to Siam Reap? About how many hours would it take from Chiang Mai? Would I have to go by way of BKK before going east?. Anybody done it? Would love your feedback. Tnx G&T

Drive from Chiang Mai to Surin about 820 km then you take the 214 highway south out of Surin down to the Chong Chom Crossing about 80 km into Cambodia. From the crossing to Siem Reap about 175 km. All is good roads. Surin GPS 14.8783525, 103.4887529 Chong Chom Crossing GPS 14.434846, 103.699903 Your car needs to be in your name or the owner is with it. There are only 2 crossing from Thailand into Cambodia that allows a car and Chong Chom is the closes Hat Lek is the other all others do not allow cars. Your Thai vehicle will not be insured inside Cambodia. As far as your car you don't have much ofany mountains in Cambodia but you need to take your time getting out of northern Thailand as thats where your mountains are. I drive regular between the Surin area and Chiang Mai and its grate country. There are quit a few locals down in the Surin area that do this run to Siem Reap on a regular bases. Enjoy your trip.

Edited by khwaibah

Well buddies who entered at O'smach were told 'only this province' (SR isnt technically in the province is it ?) and the Osmach Khmer side took their Thai export papers so that they couldnt leave by any other exit point and had to return that way (they actually still came down and visited me at my old Phnom Penh bar) I had Koh Kong try that same stick on me but refused point blank to leave them.. But yes Osmach is one of the easiest ones..

I had brutal problems at poipet.. Had less brutal but still ended up a battle at Koh Kong multiple times.. Coming in from Laos at the Vien Kham side I had it easy first time and tough the second.. I know the last 18 months or so people have been getting much more grief than they used to.. Either flat out nos (poipet), you have to remain in the province and we are holding your Thai paperwork at others, and general hassle at all of them (the bike week they did in Phnom Penh left a very sour taste in many riders who got major hassle and turnarounds at the border.

Not allowed to link other forums I think but googling ride asia and looking in the cambodian forums will give some reports.

People making it into vietnam is the newest rumor.. Might need to get the saddlebags back out if thats becoming reality.

Well buddies who entered at O'smach were told 'only this province' (SR isnt technically in the province is it ?) and the Osmach Khmer side took their Thai export papers so that they couldnt leave by any other exit point and had to return that way (they actually still came down and visited me at my old Phnom Penh bar) I had Koh Kong try that same stick on me but refused point blank to leave them.. But yes Osmach is one of the easiest ones..

I had brutal problems at poipet.. Had less brutal but still ended up a battle at Koh Kong multiple times.. Coming in from Laos at the Vien Kham side I had it easy first time and tough the second.. I know the last 18 months or so people have been getting much more grief than they used to.. Either flat out nos (poipet), you have to remain in the province and we are holding your Thai paperwork at others, and general hassle at all of them (the bike week they did in Phnom Penh left a very sour taste in many riders who got major hassle and turnarounds at the border.

I guess all the people I know and thats quite a few don't know whats going on as they have had few or any problems crossing at Chong Chom and driving to SR,PP and existing at Hat Lek. Chong Chom and Hat Lek are the only 2 crossing for cars entering from Thailand all other crossing are a no go. Chong Chom even thou it may not be perfect is preferred over Hat Lek for less hazel. Most all crossing allow bikes and thats a whole different story. So anyone from up north that wants to drive to Siem Reap come on down to Chong Chom. and don't worry.

Edited by khwaibah

All I am saying is its very hit and miss.. depends entirely on guards mood of the day at most of the international crossings.. just recently they were denying Poipet for bikes..

Simply gathering some documents and just rocking up expecting a checklist of papers that applies at any legal border to exit from any legal border, was never how it worked for me in 10 or 15 crossings.. I never didnt get through a border.. But did one time disobey angry direct 2nd instructions to leave and was chased the first 40kms into Cambo from Poipet until the battumbang turning. That could have gone horribly wrong. Also had stubborn face offs an long waits at others, ones I think many people would simply have given up with.

Oddly a bribe was never what they wanted.

The only crossing I know of (excluding the viet ones) that I didnt do was the Pong Nam Ron one to Phsar Prum..

All I am saying is its very hit and miss.. depends entirely on guards mood of the day at most of the international crossings.. just recently they were denying Poipet for bikes..

Simply gathering some documents and just rocking up expecting a checklist of papers that applies at any legal border to exit from any legal border, was never how it worked for me in 10 or 15 crossings.. I never didnt get through a border.. But did one time disobey angry direct 2nd instructions to leave and was chased the first 40kms into Cambo from Poipet until the battumbang turning. That could have gone horribly wrong. Also had stubborn face offs an long waits at others, ones I think many people would simply have given up with.

Oddly a bribe was never what they wanted.

The only crossing I know of (excluding the viet ones) that I didnt do was the Pong Nam Ron one to Phsar Prum..

Your crossing has never been recommend for even a bike. and not for a car. Only at Hat Lek, Chong Chom and Chong Sa Ngom are doable for bikes.

And therein lies the very point I am making.. Cambodia has what 12 international crossings ?? And the rules at each of them operate differently.. Depending on type of vehicle, or any vehicle at all, nationality of person crossing and registration of vehicle, time of day, mood of officer, etc etc..

I would think that Aranyaprathet/Poipet is the largest border point.. Bavet being second.. yet (Poipet) for legal vehicles the least friendly..

The lack of a clear implemented system hampers the vehicle cross border tourism.. Case in point being the hassles of Phnom Phen bike week.. Total disaster for 100s of bikers turned back at borders, being given a hard time at others, hours spent arguing in the midday heat.. Even after it was said that it was all 'cleared with the big boss' before hand. That hassle had so many people swearing never to return, which is sad as Cambo really could do with as much foreign exchange as it can get.

I crossed over with my car at Chong Chom probably 6 times this year. Never had a problem as long as you have the car passport in order. Also the car must be fully paid. I was told that cars still on finance would not be allowed. The drive from the border to Siam reap takes about 2 1/2 hours, its about 185 km. The road is mostly in good conditions unless they are making a new tarmac. Be careful of crossing cows!!!

I usually go and sleep at BKK one night before to travel to the border. This way it takes 7 hours drive the first day and another 7-8 hours the second day. Go and back its about 2600 km

I crossed over with my car at Chong Chom probably 6 times this year. Never had a problem as long as you have the car passport in order. Also the car must be fully paid. I was told that cars still on finance would not be allowed. The drive from the border to Siam reap takes about 2 1/2 hours, its about 185 km. The road is mostly in good conditions unless they are making a new tarmac. Be careful of crossing cows!!!

I usually go and sleep at BKK one night before to travel to the border. This way it takes 7 hours drive the first day and another 7-8 hours the second day. Go and back its about 2600 km

Nice report but a question. A car passport is only required between Thailand and Lao not Thailand and Cambodia.

Nice report but a question. A car passport is only required between Thailand and Lao not Thailand and Cambodia.

Sometimes I was requested to show it

Sometimes I was requested to show it

Sometimes you get an IO that does that but most of us down in this area do not but a couple do. A car passport depending on the LTD is 50 to 250 baht. I tell people if it makes you fell better get it but its not required for entry into Cambodia.