Thai Toilet

fefal

Hi,

Another why...;-)

I don't know in Thailand, they don't use Toilet like in European country.

I don't know why you have a dustbin in each toilet.

Some ppl say me that you must not throw ur toilet paper in Toilet...other ppl say yes.

I don't understand why they don't throw paper in it...I think it will be again better for hygienic

Thanks to know.

Squat toilet, standard Asian style (actually some Eastern European countries too), better for your gut as it happens (more natural position) assuming you can get that hang of it :o

Bin is for toilet paper (it blocks the drains).

Wash yourself with the bum-squirter (or dipper and water tank), dry with paper, put paper in bin (no nasty stuff in the bin, quite sanitary).

Edited by Crossy

Hi,

Another why...;-)

Some ppl say me that you must not throw ur toilet paper in Toilet...other ppl say yes.

I don't understand why they don't throw paper in it...I think it will be again better for hygienic

Thanks to know.

Here`s a pic of an upmarket, upcountry village toilet including shower , vanity and everything you could possibly ask for.

Just no dustbin. Or paper.

post-18138-1160119255_thumb.jpg

Here`s a pic of an upmarket, upcountry village toilet including shower , vanity and everything you could possibly ask for.

Looks just like mum-in-law's :o

At least she has installed a bum squirter, paper and bin (for her Farang son-in-law) :D

Looks just like mum-in-law's :o

At least she has installed a bum squirter, paper and bin (for her Farang son-in-law) :D

Yep. You got it.

It is the father in law`s and I`ve got concrete, tiles plumbing and comfort going in as we speak.

"Thankyou to the gods"

Hi,

Another why...;-)

Thanks to know.

Lol, looks familiar! :o

Hi,

Another why...;-)

Thanks to know.

As one relatively seasoned expat said to me during my first year in Thailand when we were discussing the hose vs toilet paper . . . . . why smear it around when you can wash it all off . . . . . been convinced and converted ever since, I dread western toilets now.

Confession over.

JxP

Hi,

Another why...;-)

Thanks to know.

But the real point is that most of the domestic sewage drainage in Thailand cannot cope with solids that have not been previously digested.

JxP . . . . straight to the point . . . . eventually!

Actually - if you compare the toilet habits of Westerners with the Middle East and Asia - you will find that we are comparitively dirty. As an earlier contributor wrote - why walk around in this hot weather all day (and sleep at night) with the stuff smeared all round your ######, when you can wash it off and be done with it!

Tim

Hi,

Another why...;-)

Thanks to know.

As one relatively seasoned expat said to me during my first year in Thailand when we were discussing the hose vs toilet paper . . . . . why smear it around when you can wash it all off . . . . . been convinced and converted ever since, I dread western toilets now.

Confession over.

JxP

yes my friend, :D

once a punter is converted to the bum gun there is no returning to the horrid dunny paper and i now hate the stuff. :D

i bought a bum gun home to perth and wacked it in my dunny. :D

my friends think i use it to wash the toilet out and i'll let them think that. :o

also when i drop a huge big steamer and my back bottom is in flames i just extinguise it with a quick squirt of the bum gun and im in heaven. :D

viva la bum gun. :D

hope this top bit of inside information helps you my friend. :D

cheers :D

I find traditional Thai toilets in public places a lot cleaner than many public bathrooms in the west.

In western toilets if your aim is off there is no way to clean up a toilet seat after a mess has been created so toilet seats tend to get nastier as the day progresses.

Thai toilets don't have seats and everyone uses the plastic dipper to flush and also to clean the bowl and the surrounding area.

You don't get that smell of old stale urine.

Also, western toilets waste a lot of water. One flush...3-5 gallons compared to a dipper or two of water for a Thai toilet

Ive wondered if you could possibly catch hepatitis or some other disease using a thai toilet being you are splashing yourself from the bucket and posssibly getting waste on your hand and when you put your hand back in the bucket to get more water you could be introducing germs into the bucket unless I am not understanding the correct way to do this.

Hi,

Another why...;-)

Thanks to know.

Confession over.

JxP

yes my friend, :D

once a punter is converted to the bum gun there is no returning to the horrid dunny paper and i now hate the stuff. :D

i bought a bum gun home to perth and wacked it in my dunny. :D

my friends think i use it to wash the toilet out and i'll let them think that. :o

also when i drop a huge big steamer and my back bottom is in flames i just extinguise it with a quick squirt of the bum gun and im in heaven. :D

viva la bum gun. :D

hope this top bit of inside information helps you my friend. :D

cheers :D

If I moved back west I would do the same. How about the plumbing tho, is it easy to do?

The thought of using paper is not nice. I hate it when I stay in 4 or 5 * hotels in bangkok and there's no spray. :D

Ive wondered if you could possibly catch hepatitis or some other disease using a thai toilet being you are splashing yourself from the bucket and posssibly getting waste on your hand and when you put your hand back in the bucket to get more water you could be introducing germs into the bucket unless I am not understanding the correct way to do this.

Thais usually use a plastic dipper...not a traditional "bucket". You use one hand to hold the dipper and pour water on yourself... and the other hand to wipe your body. You never put the dirty hand in the plastic dipper. So there shouldn't be any cross contaimination.

The problem comes when you don't clean the "wiping" hand thoroughly after taking care of business.

Foodworkers can easily transmit fecal matter to food this way.

I think its better to use toilet paper...plus wash hands thoroughly too.

Unfortunately Thai style toilets seldom come with facilities for washing hands.

Hence so many incidences of dysentery in Thailand

Edited by egeefay

bum gun installing instructions for mr womble. :D

1. go to texaco store (onnut).

2. buy bum gun kit.

3. but 3 way tee piece.

4. buy 2 braided flexable hoses.

5. connect hoses on either side of tee piece.

6. connect bum gun to remaining outlet.

7. remove existing hose between toilet and wall tap.

8 connect one end of hose to toilet and the other to the wall tap.

9. bum gun now fully operational ready to tackle the largest flames coming from mr womble's back bottom. :D

fire away mr womble. :D

cheers friend :o

ps. trust me, as i am a firefighter and know all things pertaining to extinguishing flames. :D

^^Thanks for that top bit of insider info, Terry! :D *gag*

thanks very much kmart, :D

i do like to impart my wisdom on the punters as it would be very unfair to keep all my knowledge and top tips to my self. :D

if you'd like to know anything else just ask me my friend. :D

cheers kmart :o

It depends partly on the water source and partly on how clean the basin or the storage bowl (bucket) is kept. In some of the rural areas I know of, locals use the large bowls to collect rain water. Not many bum guns there. However, when it's dry and the bowls are getting low on water, they pump water from a nearby pond that also contains small fish, etc. In addition, the toilet waste from houses surrounding the ponds leach out into the soil and ultimately into the pond. I've seen water storage bowls under the roof line of some such places, which is generally used for bathing, brushing teeth, cooking, and even drinking, contain a number of minnows and other contaminates that got there from being pumped out of the ponds. Not a very healthy practice.

The septic tank, and most places have them, can get blocked by paper--especially a substantial amount over time. I enjoy the hose, but I don't enjoy the squat toilet. In most northern climates though I don't think I would like that hose if the water is 6 to 10 degrees C!

The septic tank, and most places have them, can get blocked by paper--especially a substantial amount over time. I enjoy the hose, but I don't enjoy the squat toilet. In most northern climates though I don't think I would like that hose if the water is 6 to 10 degrees C!

My Thai mother-in-law liked using disinfectant around and in the toilet.

The septic tank blocked up and we had to pay a local firm to pump it out.

(very expensive! at 300 Baht :D ).

It took me quite a while to explain that she should not put disinfectant down the toilet.

('cause it kills the good germs that eat up all the shxt)

First I had to educate her about germs, but I fear that was too esoteric for mum.

Recently we added a "bum gun" and a washbasin with running water and a towel rail!!

BTW I also installed 2 bum guns in Perth.

I believe they are illegal - due to possible back-flow, but dammit they're a great invention!

:o I'm thinking about the cold water next winter - maybe I could install

one of those little single phase water heaters with a thermostat - aaahhhh.... :D

Now all I have to do is convince everyone at mum's to wash their hands with soap and water

after using the toilet. Fairly difficult when they have done it the old way for so long.

"Now Mum - about that habit of yours .." She likes to pile up all the rubbish and plastic bags

from outside the house and make little stinky fires that waft acrid smoke around for hours.

I even bought a plastic rubbish bin to place outside with instructions for everyone to put all

their rubbish in there. This has reduced the unsightly plastic bags blowing around the place.

Then I noticed mum emptying the bin onto one of her little fires ..

..Gimme strength!! :D

When I asked if there was a local rubbish dump where we could take our rubbish to, the answer was

"not have .." yet I had seen a proper garbage truck operating in the next village!!

I've noticed that in LOS if you ask somebody about something, they save face by saying

"not have" instead of admitting that they don't know the answer.

So next time I'm in LOS - I'll be scouting for the rubbish dump!

We have piles of old building material remnants and all manner of leftover household brick-a-brac

lying around near the road - very unsightly and a health hazard too.

Thais don't seem to notice such trivia in LOS - such a pity. :D

My Thai mother-in-law liked using disinfectant around and in the toilet.

The septic tank blocked up and we had to pay a local firm to pump it out.

(very expensive! at 300 Baht :D ).

It took me quite a while to explain that she should not put disinfectant down the toilet.

('cause it kills the good germs that eat up all the shxt)

First I had to educate her about germs, but I fear that was too esoteric for mum.

Recently we added a "bum gun" and a washbasin with running water and a towel rail!!

BTW I also installed 2 bum guns in Perth.

I believe they are illegal - due to possible back-flow, but dammit they're a great invention!

:o I'm thinking about the cold water next winter - maybe I could install

one of those little single phase water heaters with a thermostat - aaahhhh.... :D

Now all I have to do is convince everyone at mum's to wash their hands with soap and water

after using the toilet. Fairly difficult when they have done it the old way for so long.

"Now Mum - about that habit of yours .." She likes to pile up all the rubbish and plastic bags

from outside the house and make little stinky fires that waft acrid smoke around for hours.

I even bought a plastic rubbish bin to place outside with instructions for everyone to put all

their rubbish in there. This has reduced the unsightly plastic bags blowing around the place.

Then I noticed mum emptying the bin onto one of her little fires ..

..Gimme strength!! :D

When I asked if there was a local rubbish dump where we could take our rubbish to, the answer was

"not have .." yet I had seen a proper garbage truck operating in the next village!!

I've noticed that in LOS if you ask somebody about something, they save face by saying

"not have" instead of admitting that they don't know the answer.

So next time I'm in LOS - I'll be scouting for the rubbish dump!

We have piles of old building material remnants and all manner of leftover household brick-a-brac

lying around near the road - very unsightly and a health hazard too.

Thais don't seem to notice such trivia in LOS - such a pity. :D

i live in bicton mate and had a bum gun in the dunny for 2 years. :D

winter is no problem as its quite refreshing when the back bottom is steaming a tad. :D