Korean honeymooner dies after diving lesson at Koh Hei

webfact

Too many Instructors working illegally in Thailand, no regulation of the industry, dive shops not having proper setups for filling, its about time they cleaned this industry up if they are serious about tourism.

There are hardly any Deco chambers in Thailand too, so if you are a serious diver and plan diving there make sure you have your DAN insurance paid up.

Yes, the industry could be improved.

But your post is in general nonsense, especially on Phuket where the dive industry is much more regulated than anywhere else in Thailand.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's sad, hard to imagine what caused her death at so young an age.

Having a problem in 1 meter of water? ....... stand up.

Stand up? I bet the poor woman never thought of that.

Not easy wearing flippers and a tank, especially if you are horizontal to begin with.

If she was only in 1 metre of water, she would not have been submerged. The air in her BCD would have kept her the surface. It's not that hard to just put your feet down and stand up in 1 metre of water.

Actually when you're about to die, I would venture it near impossible. Even if the brain trust on TV doesn't agree.

Diving is essentially a dangerous sport. People die. It can be because of faulty equipment, it can also be because of some pre-existing condition of her, or other reasons. Let's wait for the outcome of investigation before we throw dirt at the scuba school.

Nice one traveller, I have to say that under the circumstances, did she have a dive medical ?

Did as a previous poster wrote have a dive instructor in the water with her at the time she enteted the water?

Who did the buddy check ?

Unfortunately to "try dive" a medical is not required.

Self medical is required, for no form of diving in Thailand is a doctor's medical required.

Sorry stevenl, but you are wrong. The dive schools that are PADI certified and SSL certified require medicals to be passed by all uncertified divers doing their dive courses that are 40 or older, regardless of how fit and healthy they are.

Too many Instructors working illegally in Thailand, no regulation of the industry, dive shops not having proper setups for filling, its about time they cleaned this industry up if they are serious about tourism.

There are hardly any Deco chambers in Thailand too, so if you are a serious diver and plan diving there make sure you have your DAN insurance paid up.

But your post is in general nonsense, especially on Phuket where the dive industry is much more regulated than anywhere else in Thailand.

A "regulated" industry on Phuket, and in Thailand, for that matter, in no way, whatsoever, means it is safe.

36 year old fit young women to not "get into difficulty" in one meter of water.

Questions

1. Could the lady swim ?

2. Was she introduced to the safe use of Scuba gear within the confines of a swimming pool prior to being "dumped" into the ocean ?

3. Was the equipment used well maintained and "fit for purpose"

4. Did an instructor enter the water with or immediately before the lady ?

These questions and probably more need to be answered.

Condolences from me to the ladies husband and her family.

1. Technically, as absurd as it sounds, you don't have to be able to swim to be able to dive. Your BCD keeps you afloat. All you have to do is paddle and breathe.

2. I'm sure she would've had a basic introduction to scuba gear.

3. Diving equipment is technically very safe. It's a pressurised tank with an airflow through a regulator. There is very little that can go wrong with it.

In my experience, it sounds like carbon monoxide poisoning. If an idiot is smoking around the compressor whilst refilling the tanks you will get high toxic levels of carbon monoxide pressurised within the air. When somebody breathes that in it becomes incredibly poisonous. The only other explanation is that the dive company are lying and she was much deeper prior to being at 1 meter. She may have panicked and rushed to the surface too quickly and got bent.

An absolutely tragic thing to happen to a young married couple and something that could easily have been avoided. My thoughts and prayers are with her distraught husband and family. Very sad indeed

A pre requirement of PADI COURSES !

"To enroll in a PADI Scuba Diver course (or Junior Scuba Diver course), you must be 10 years old or older. You need adequate swimming skills and need to be in good physical health."

Check for yourself !

Can you also provide links to evidence of "carbon monoxide poisoning" being the cause of a scuba diving death anywhere in the world ?

Carbon Monoxide poisoning (the bends) occurs more often than you realise. It doesn't always result in death, but there are ample occasions when it has worldwide. On my last dive trip to Koh Tao a Swedish girl doing her advanced open water course got a severe case of the bends, and not because she surfaced to quickly (her ascent was never faster than her air bubbles), but because she did not do her 2 mandatory safety stops whilst ascending from diving at a depth of 30 metres. She was lucky there was a decompression chamber available on the island, and the dive boat was anchored only about 500 metres off shore. If there hadn't been one, the severity of her carbon monoxide poisoning would have killed her. She was a very lucky girl, and she was an experienced diver, with over 100 dives prior to doing her Advanced Open Water course.

Wow !

Carbon monoxide is NOT the cause of the "bends"

"The bends, also known as decompression sickness (DCS) or Caisson disease occurs in scuba divers or high altitude or aerospace events when gases (mainly nitrogen) come out of solution in bubbles and can affect just about any body area including joints, lung, heart, skin and brain."

Learn about Carbon Monoxide in the link.

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/learn/carbon_monoxide_kills.aspx

Stop posting nonsense please

Stand up? I bet the poor woman never thought of that.

Not easy wearing flippers and a tank, especially if you are horizontal to begin with.

If she was only in 1 metre of water, she would not have been submerged. The air in her BCD would have kept her the surface. It's not that hard to just put your feet down and stand up in 1 metre of water.

Actually when you're about to die, I would venture it near impossible. Even if the brain trust on TV doesn't agree.

Wrong. If she was only in 1 metre of water instinctively she would have stood up. No thought process involved. She had to be in water much deeper than 1 metre. More likely between 10 - 18 metres.

Nice one traveller, I have to say that under the circumstances, did she have a dive medical ?

Did as a previous poster wrote have a dive instructor in the water with her at the time she enteted the water?

Self medical is required, for no form of diving in Thailand is a doctor's medical required.

Sorry stevenl, but you are wrong. The dive schools that are PADI certified and SSL certified require medicals to be passed by all uncertified divers doing their dive courses that are 40 or older, regardless of how fit and healthy they are.

Prime example of people talking about something that they don't completekky understand.

Please have a look at the PADI medical statement, available online, and get back to us. It asks 'are you over 45 and do you ... (amongst others smoke)', so only if those 2 requirements are positive a 'yes' has to be filled out and a medical would be required by PADI.

You clearly have no idea !

http://www.sssnetwork.com/our-chambers-and-medical-clinics/phuket-thailand/

Yes, no idea, a whole 1 unit for southern Thailand

A "regulated" industry on Phuket, and in Thailand, for that matter, in no way, whatsoever, means it is safe.

It is a big step forward though to know the equipment you are using has been maintained under proper guidelines and the dive shop/instructor/dive master is current with his rating and public liability insurance and they are legally allowed to work in the industry.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/387797-hyperbaric-chambers-in-thailand/

How many would you like to have ?

Will you be funding the additions ?

Edited by oncearugge

On Phuket: 1 in vachira, 1 in bangkok Phuket and 1, run by SSS, in Phuket international.

Phuket isn't the only place people Dive in Thailand, transporting a patient to there isn't always possible in serious cases, I have had enough diving in Thailand and would rather dive in locations with better vis and more interesting things to see, so I am not interested in funding it, but I do have my DAN insurance paid up as I know the risks, most people don't even worry about travel insurance.

Phuket isn't the only place people Dive in Thailand, transporting a patient to there isn't always possible in serious cases, I have had enough diving in Thailand and would rather dive in locations with better vis and more interesting things to see, so I am not interested in funding it, but I do have my DAN insurance paid up as I know the risks, most people don't even worry about travel insurance.

So you got called out on writing nonsense and are now trying to change the subject.

Agree with you though that DAN or similar insurance is a good idea.

Can we get back on topic please.

Edited by stevenl

tay

Did you even bother to open the link ?

Even DAN cannot "magic up" decompression chambers where non exist.

I have personally arranged the transfer and traveled with a person seriously affected by "the bends" by helicopter over distance of almost 800 miles !

The air cylinder and demand valve she was using need to be checked. Was there any air at all, at the right pressure? Slack refilling procedures with unsuitable equipment can also allow carbon monoxide to get into the cylinder.

Hearing about other unsafe holiday "accidents" are a worry in Thailand.

I am a dive Instructor and worked in Thailand for over 9 years and yes sometimes there can be safety issues but it would better is we found out the true cause of her death before we start speculating and spreading rumors

TigerandDog

Sorry to disagree with you on this but you are incorrect. Medical examinations (for PADI certification but most likely SSI as well) are only required in certain circumstances, specifically, where the participant gives a yes answer to one of the questions on the Divers Medical Questionnaire. As for age, the question is this:

"Are you over 45 years of age and can answer YES to one or more of the following? • currently smoke a pipe, cigars or cigarettes • are currently receiving medical care • have a high cholesterol level • high blood pressure • have a family history of heart attack or stroke • diabetes mellitus, even if controlled by diet alone."

If you are over 45 but none of the conditions apply, no medical examination is required.

David

PADI MSDT/IDCS #169874

Questions

1. Could the lady swim ?

2. Was she introduced to the safe use of Scuba gear within the confines of a swimming pool prior to being "dumped" into the ocean ?

1. Technically, as absurd as it sounds, you don't have to be able to swim to be able to dive. Your BCD keeps you afloat. All you have to do is paddle and breathe.

3. Diving equipment is technically very safe. It's a pressurised tank with an airflow through a regulator. There is very little that can go wrong with it.

In my experience, it sounds like carbon monoxide poisoning. If an idiot is smoking around the compressor whilst refilling the tanks you will get high toxic levels of carbon monoxide pressurised within the air. When somebody breathes that in it becomes incredibly poisonous. The only other explanation is that the dive company are lying and she was much deeper prior to being at 1 meter. She may have panicked and rushed to the surface too quickly and got bent.

An absolutely tragic thing to happen to a young married couple and something that could easily have been avoided. My thoughts and prayers are with her distraught husband and family. Very sad indeed

As a novice I would doubt if she would have been at a depth that would require decompression at staged intervals and if she did the diving school should be locked up and the key thrown away.

Condolences to her husband and family.

Questions

1. Could the lady swim ?

"To enroll in a PADI Scuba Diver course (or Junior Scuba Diver course), you must be 10 years old or older. You need adequate swimming skills and need to be in good physical health."

Check for yourself !

Can you also provide links to evidence of "carbon monoxide poisoning" being the cause of a scuba diving death anywhere in the world ?

Carbon Monoxide poisoning (the bends) occurs more often than you realise. It doesn't always result in death, but there are ample occasions when it has worldwide. On my last dive trip to Koh Tao a Swedish girl doing her advanced open water course got a severe case of the bends, and not because she surfaced to quickly (her ascent was never faster than her air bubbles), but because she did not do her 2 mandatory safety stops whilst ascending from diving at a depth of 30 metres. She was lucky there was a decompression chamber available on the island, and the dive boat was anchored only about 500 metres off shore. If there hadn't been one, the severity of her carbon monoxide poisoning would have killed her. She was a very lucky girl, and she was an experienced diver, with over 100 dives prior to doing her Advanced Open Water course.

Carbon Monoxide poisoning is not the Bends the Bends are caused when the Nitrogen that the body has absorbed produce gas bubble and its these bubbles that cause problems, the bubbles can be caused by several factors including ascending to quick from a dive, diving outside your dive time for your depth, being over weight, being de- hydrated(quite common due to alcohol the night before) and bouncing( ascending and descending too many times on the same dive).

a 30mrt dive proving you stay with in your time limit for that depth is classed as a NSD (No Stop Diving) And require no safety stops but it is highly recommended to do one one but is not required to do two

Diving is essentially a dangerous sport. People die. It can be because of faulty equipment, it can also be because of some pre-existing condition of her, or other reasons. Let's wait for the outcome of investigation before we throw dirt at the scuba school.

Yes I agree totally

Yet another easily preventable diving student death in Thailand, I'll bet. Another one will die in a couple of months. No introduction of safety culture. No repercussions for dive schools. No enforcement by the professional organisations or the legal authorities. All industry stakeholders only interested in sweeping these events under the carpet and keeping any publicity down to an absolute minimum.

I agree, with so many of these preventable deaths being covered up here.

I think he is talking out of his ass

Questions

1. Could the lady swim ?

Check for yourself !

Carbon monoxide poisoning and the bends are 2 completely different issues.

Many inaccuracies in your post regarding both carbon monoxide poisoning and the bends.

sorry but you are incorrect. They are the same thing. Carbon Monoxide Poisoning is the official name, but everybody knows it as the bends. This is one of the first things we are taught when doing a PADI Open Water course.

Questions

1. Could the lady swim ?

Check for yourself !

Carbon monoxide poisoning and the bends are 2 completely different issues.

Many inaccuracies in your post regarding both carbon monoxide poisoning and the bends.

sorry but you are incorrect. They are the same thing. Carbon Monoxide Poisoning is the official name, but everybody knows it as the bends. This is one of the first things we are taught when doing a PADI Open Water course.

You really have no idea. The bends are officially called decompression sickness, something completely different from carbon monoxide poisoning. Open water course quiz 4 and exam questions as well.

Questions

1. Could the lady swim ?

Check for yourself !

Wow !

Carbon monoxide is NOT the cause of the "bends"

"The bends, also known as decompression sickness (DCS) or Caisson disease occurs in scuba divers or high altitude or aerospace events when gases (mainly nitrogen) come out of solution in bubbles and can affect just about any body area including joints, lung, heart, skin and brain."

Learn about Carbon Monoxide in the link.

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/learn/carbon_monoxide_kills.aspx

Stop posting nonsense please

If what you say is correct, then please advise EVERY PADI dive school in Australia and the rest of the world to stop teaching divers they are the same thing. We were taught this on day 1 of our Open Water course. Why should we not believe what qualified PADI instructors teach us in Australia?

Edited by TigerandDog

my bet is something to do with the way the Thai's filled her air tank! happens when they don't know or care what they are doing. lousey unsafe equipment, etc:

Wow what evidence do you have that it was the way the tank was filled or that it was a Thai person that filled it. I worked for over 8 years in the diving industry with over 2500 dives with an average of 30 people on the dive boat that works out to an average 75000 tanks and not once did we have a faulty tank in fact over the 8 + years we had 2 people get bent one because she went out with her buddy and dived over her time limit and the other because he went out the night before got drunk and was de hydrated, OK yes sometime there are safety issues in every country you dive in but stating that (my bet is something to do with the way the Thai's filled her air tank! happens when they don't know or care what they are doing. lousy unsafe equipment) is just rhetorical bull shit, Lets find out the reason behind this poor woman death before we come out with such ridicules statements first

TigerandDog

Sorry but you are posting nonsense !

" sorry but you are incorrect. They are the same thing. Carbon Monoxide Poisoning is the official name, but everybody knows it as the bends. This is one of the first things we are taught when doing a PADI Open Water course."

Produce one, just one. link which supports what you are saying .

Learn about the causes of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in the link

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Carbon-monoxide-poisoning/Pages/causes.aspx

Anyone opening and reading the link will discover SCUBA diving is not a cause !

Questions

1. Could the lady swim ?

All valid questions, and when I asked myself those same questions, one that you have not mentioned stood out,

Was the air in the scuba tank contaminated ?

Was the right gas mix used ?

An unknown allergic reaction because of a contamination ? Oil vapor contamination ?

Unlikely (?), but strange things do happen in this country, because there are rarely validated SOPs controlling basic operations in small private companies that run on a shoe-string budget..