A heads up for the great Thai AIS telephone robbery.

johnnybgood

Wait until you try to move you number to another provider. AIS we do all that can to stop you moving your number. They changed my passport number twice to make sure it did not match. Eventually they said everything was fine and they would let the number be transferred. When another company applied hey refused again. AIS has the tactics of he person who created the company. Nothing honest about heir tactics at all.

there was a time you could not keep your number if you changed provider! Was not 100 yrs ago so nothing new

I bought my SIM 15 years ago and always had the freedom to keep my money valid and usable for a year or more. Until I agreed to a promotion and I was "back to normal."

A complaint didn;t help me and now it's clear that I'll never want to have a "special promotional offer again,"

I guess it was Thaksin net this time and we all know how cool this guy was, "Let's make a war on drugs, just to make a shitty Jaba pill worth ten times more than back in the old days.

TOT, Totaly Off Topic.-facepalm.gif

Of course the terms are clear from the outset. This justifies theft?

The point is the potential loss of my number which I bought.

The prudence is of using units I have paid for in my phone when I want not when AIS want.

Apologies to you both for simply posting a polite warning which may be of interest to fellow OAPs

I totally agree. Also, If I recall correctly (Please correct me if I am wrong) when I first came here and opened a bank account with Kasikorn back in about 2002, if you didn't make a payment in or a withdrawal out in a month they would deduct something like 50 Baht until they depleted and closed your account. Thieves!

That 50b per month deduction would have been in the terms and conditions that you agreed to.

How are they thieves ?

First of all, do you read the multipage agreement that you sign at a bank?

Second, now it wasn't in the agreement that I signed at Kaskorn, because it was a rule they made many years after I opened my account with Kasikorn, and it actually applies to no movements in a year instead of a month, and only if your balance is below a certain limit.

First of all, Why are you answering on behalf of another forum member ?

Second, Did you read the multipage agreement that you sign at a bank?

The prudence is of using units I have paid for in my phone when I want not when AIS want.

Apologies to you both for simply posting a polite warning which may be of interest to fellow OAPs

"Of course the terms are clear from the outset. This justifies theft?"

Calling it theft is nonsense. If you order something at a restaurant and don't eat everything on the plate, the waiter will clear the table you were using for a new customer and dump what you didn't eat in the bin. The restaurant isn't stealing your table or your food. The table isn't yours for eternity and if you want all the food, eat it or ask for a bag.

Edited by Suradit69

the terms are clear form the outset, you are informed of validity period every time you top up.

And you say you received clear notification of what was going to happen but did not act.

where is the prudence you speak of?

I think the point is that the period of time between topping up and it being wiped is usually a long time, I think its 6 months but might even be 1 year. However, I have had a similar thing where my credit was wiped after just a week after buying the credit.

It doesn't matter that they inform you, its wrong, and what are you going to do when they do inform you, make loads of calls to use up the credit? Either way you still have to top up again and they still get more cash out of you.

Luckily its only happened to me twice so no big deal really.

OP AIS didn't steal from you, you neglected to use the service you bought. Its like a cheap airplane ticket you buy and don't use, while the terms and conditions says you lose your money if you don't use the ticket. So next time kick yourself instead of ranting. .

Yes you have to abide by their rules but these phone companies are not cheap especially the land lines their like land mines. They must have learned their programming in Las Vegas. If you use a street phone and deposit 10 baht your lucky to get to dial the number. When you use up your coin the line goes dead no operator comes on and sweetly asked you to deposit more money its just click.

I totally agree. Also, If I recall correctly (Please correct me if I am wrong) when I first came here and opened a bank account with Kasikorn back in about 2002, if you didn't make a payment in or a withdrawal out in a month they would deduct something like 50 Baht until they depleted and closed your account. Thieves!

That 50b per month deduction would have been in the terms and conditions that you agreed to.

How are they thieves ?

Second, now it wasn't in the agreement that I signed at Kaskorn, because it was a rule they made many years after I opened my account with Kasikorn, and it actually applies to no movements in a year instead of a month, and only if your balance is below a certain limit.

This is an internet forum

Definition:

An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages.

So I have the right to point out that your comment was just made up, since I am also a bank customer, as so many other members, and I happen to have opened most of my bank accounts many years before that rule was created.

So it was definitely not in the agreement I signed, since I know a Thai has issues to think about tomorrow, so I don't need to read the agreement I signed to know that there will be no writings inside about rules that only will be created some 10 - 15 years later.

I'm also aware that I have never been asked to sign an update to the original agreement ever since.

By the way, time flies, but I doubt that rule was already in place in 2002.

Edited by TheCruncher

It happens with my O2 (UK) pre-paid account too, don't make a billable call / message within a 6 month period and the credit is stolen and the number recovered. It was the equivalent of over 2000 baht.

I did manage to get it reinstated once and now always make an overpriced roaming call to keep it alive for my once a year trip.

You perhaps have an AIS package where the validity of credit is shorter, when I first joined AIS it was 1 year, but I changed to a package with much cheaper calls and it went down to a minimum of a month. It gets moved out a month every time a small top-up is made so that is what you have to do. I think transferring money in from another number also extends this validity. Consider that you are only renting the number...you pay no rent, eviction proceedings will commence.

Edited by jacko45k

Every time I go to Hong Kong I have to buy a new number because if you don't use the sim for 90 days (or something) then it gets cancelled automatically.

I'm sure the sim I got in the UK a few weeks ago on a trip back there won't work when I go back in the new year....

I expect it's the same with all providers anywhere in the world.

How are they thieves ?

Definition:

An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages.

So I have the right to point out that your comment was just made up, since I am also a bank customer, as so many other members, and I happen to have opened most of my bank accounts many years before that rule was created.

So it was definitely not in the agreement I signed, since I know a Thai has issues to think about tomorrow, so I don't need to read the agreement I signed to know that there will be no writings inside about rules that only will be created some 10 - 15 years later.

I'm also aware that I have never been asked to sign an update to the original agreement ever since.

So it definitely was not in the agreement that you signed but did not read.

It definately was not in the agreement 10-15 years ago but you doubt the rule was there in 2002.

Allrighty then.

What year was this rule created ?

Thanks for all the hints and tips from the usual helpful posters.

I'm sure it's a benefit to many who may read this thread.thumbsup.gif

I didn't lose all the units/money , as I of course used as much as possible before midnight.

It was the loss of the number if I didn't divvy up that was news to me.

I guess it's like buying land in Thailand you are welcome to pay for it but you can't own it.

P.S. As for the negative guys... your time and your posts were not wasted

as it's reassuring to find out my wife is not the only one that knows everything about everything in Thailand.wink.png

Definition:

So it definitely was not in the agreement that you signed but did not read.

It definately was not in the agreement 10-15 years ago but you doubt the rule was there in 2002.

Allrighty then.

What year was this rule created ?

Why you don't answer the question I asked to you FIRST.

Do you read the multipage agreement that you sign at a bank?

And by the way, learn to read, I didn't say I signed an agreement 10 - 15 year ago.

Waiting for your answer Spoonman.

Edited by TheCruncher

No I dont read it. but then I dont come here to have a cry when I discover that maybe I should have read the fine print after all.

Caveat Emptor.

So you don't read the own agreements you sign, but you must have read menzies233 his agreement, since in post #34 you claim to know what is written in it.

My guess is that you are just trolling.

Kasikorn have never done that to me & l'm out of the country for months at a time.

Mind you they don't pay me any interest either but l am happy with Kasikorn as a whole.

A friend of mine comes to Thailand once a year and extends his prepaid phone for one year for free at the DTAC shop before he leaves. Why fool around with AIS?

My Thai wife and I come to LOS twice a year and I merely phone the DTAC call centre the evening before we return to the UK and extend the life of the SIM for another year and DTAC deduct the two baht a month fee from my wife's phone credit.

I have an old DTAC SIM and only have to top up an amount and the SIM is automatically extended for a year.

You can increase your validity for one month for 30 baht if you don't want to add additional finds using the Mao Mao service.

Just dial *500*9#

You can do it multiple times. Useful if you are going out of the country for a long time but don't want to lose your number.

20 baht,5 times did it for me,got me past Songkran.

No I dont read it. but then I dont come here to have a cry when I discover that maybe I should have read the fine print after all.

Caveat Emptor.

So you don't read the own agreements you sign, but you must have read menzies233 his agreement, since in post #34 you claim to know what is written in it.

My guess is that you are just trolling.

you dont read em. either do most it seems.

Kasikorn have never done that to me & l'm out of the country for months at a time.

Mind you they don't pay me any interest either but l am happy with Kasikorn as a whole.

As said earlier, if you have the requested minimum on your account, they don't close it. If you dont't get any interest, you didn't give them a thai address. Doesn't matter now, as the interest ist just narrowly about 0%, but made quiet a difference 20 years ago, when you got 10% even on a ordinary savings account.

Just for the record:

Both DTAC and TRUE SIMs are a LOT cheaper to keep alive. AIS "extend validity" is indeed some sort of robbery, compared to what DTAC and TRUE charge

Just two baht a month for DTAC therefore, obviously, just 24 baht to extend the validity for a year. I know DTAC won't let you extend more than a year at a time.

Not sure about TRUE's charge but would imagine it's about the same charge.

As said earlier, if you have the requested minimum on your account, they don't close it. If you dont't get any interest, you didn't give them a thai address. Doesn't matter now, as the interest ist just narrowly about 0%, but made quiet a difference 20 years ago, when you got 10% even on a ordinary savings account.

Indeed made a big difference.

The biggest difference being that at that time there weren't any pre paid sim cards.