Carpel Tunnel Syndrome

oldsailor35

After several months of going through painful hell with what i thought was Osteo Arthritis in my hands & fingers, i went to a local hospital (International) only to be told that i had Carpel Tunnel Syndrome which can be cured with surgery. However with no insurance ( I am 80 yrs and cannot afford it) the cost of the operation several thousand bht was really beyond me immediately, i would have to save the money. Recently in desperation, cannot even hold a knife or tea cup, i went to a Thai doctor whose sign says that he "specializes" in bones ! Yes Carpel Tunnel , says he, i give you Cortisone Injection in wrists BHT 900. Next day i am completely back to normal. The damned hospital never offered me Cortisone. thumbsup.gifwai.gif

Cortisone won't necessarily help with holding the cup any better. That won't fix the nerve damage. My GF had it and the surgery cured it. Very routine operation done with local anesthetic.

Edited by trd

Cortisone won't necessarily help with holding the cup any better. That won't fix the nerve damage. My GF had it and the surgery cured it. Very routine operation done with local anesthetic.

But it is just inflamed it MAY stop with just one injection and never comes back (if lucky). Sure worth to try....I and my family had already many things (bones, tendons, joints) that must get a surgery....we always refused and all got good on its own. There is also a lot money making going on. So I would always get some different opinions first.

The cortisone is indeed a temporary fix and the usual guidance is not more than 2 injections then surgery.

Other conservative measures that may help are anti-inflammtory drugs (NSAIDs - not now, since you've had the cortisone, but as the cortisone starts to wear off, if you have no contraindications to it) and use of a night splint. This last is very helpful and you should do it even now when there is no pain. Available in some drug stores or you can order online from Lazada, currently 170 baht there which is a good price http://www.lazada.co.th/shop-medical-equipment/?q=wrist%20splint&searchclickposition=cat1

The other thing is to avoid repetitive wrist motions to the extent that you can. If you use the computer a lot, get a wrist pad like one of these http://www.lazada.co.th/shop-computer-accessories/?q=wrist%20pad%20computer&searchclickposition=cat1

BTW if the price you were quoted for this surgery was under 10,000 baht that was a very good rate.

Not to add to your troubles, but if you are uninsured and unable to afford even very minor surgery what on earth will you do if you break a hip, get hit by a car, have a heart attack etc etc? Even at a government hospital bills can easily run to 6 and sometimes even 7 figures. Something to seriously think about now, while you are still able to get about and make decisions. Don't leave it to fate.

The cortisone is indeed a temporary fix and the usual guidance is not more than 2 injections then surgery.

Other conservative measures that may help are anti-inflammtory drugs (NSAIDs - not now, since you've had the cortisone, but as the cortisone starts to wear off, if you have no contraindications to it) and use of a night splint. This last is very helpful and you should do it even now when there is no pain. Available in some drug stores or you can order online from Lazada, currently 170 baht there which is a good price http://www.lazada.co.th/shop-medical-equipment/?q=wrist%20splint&searchclickposition=cat1

The other thing is to avoid repetitive wrist motions to the extent that you can. If you use the computer a lot, get a wrist pad like one of these http://www.lazada.co.th/shop-computer-accessories/?q=wrist%20pad%20computer&searchclickposition=cat1

BTW if the price you were quoted for this surgery was under 10,000 baht that was a very good rate.

Not to add to your troubles, but if you are uninsured and unable to afford even very minor surgery what on earth will you do if you break a hip, get hit by a car, have a heart attack etc etc? Even at a government hospital bills can easily run to 6 and sometimes even 7 figures. Something to seriously think about now, while you are still able to get about and make decisions. Don't leave it to fate.

I doubt someone will insure a 80 year old.

Quote Sheryl: "The other thing is to avoid repetitive wrist motions to the extent that you can"

And "Oldsailor35": "Recently in desperation, cannot even hold a knife or tea cup......"

Had something similar back in the late 90s due to incorrect use of my keyboard and computer and no amount of physio or anything would put it right. Like you, it became so severe that I could not even hold anything in my right hand. Eventually after all sorts of "treatments" including an operation on my elbow, the pain subsided, however I have never been able to use a keyboard with my right hand since, because after just a few minutes the familiar ache in the wrist comes back and it becomes too painful.

So my question would be, what do you think has caused this? I ask this, because if it is use of a keyboard or something to do with the computer, then you may wish to consider getting a voice recognition program such as Dragon Naturally Speaking (by Nuance), because after a little training this product is a godsend, despite the odd malfunction.

I have been using it since 1999 and indeed, this reply is being dictated through that very program.

Quote Sheryl: "The other thing is to avoid repetitive wrist motions to the extent that you can"

And "Oldsailor35": "Recently in desperation, cannot even hold a knife or tea cup......"

Had something similar back in the late 90s due to incorrect use of my keyboard and computer and no amount of physio or anything would put it right. Like you, it became so severe that I could not even hold anything in my right hand. Eventually after all sorts of "treatments" including an operation on my elbow, the pain subsided, however I have never been able to use a keyboard with my right hand since, because after just a few minutes the familiar ache in the wrist comes back and it becomes too painful.

So my question would be, what do you think has caused this? I ask this, because if it is use of a keyboard or something to do with the computer, then you may wish to consider getting a voice recognition program such as Dragon Naturally Speaking (by Nuance), because after a little training this product is a godsend, despite the odd malfunction.

I have been using it since 1999 and indeed, this reply is being dictated through that very program.

Yes, valid point! I had some pain also....problem with the keyboard. Could be possible that someone has some mild problems with Carpel Tunnel, but got pain from the wrong keyboard......Check on that.

I find your comments almost always very helpful Sheryl, however I am intrigued as to what you would suggest the op do. I am in a very similar position, not quite that age but not far off it, wife and child, little money, live off pension. Departing Thailand is not an option, I just hope nothing happens to me before my child is an adult and my mortgage gets paid all up [next June]. Not interested in the usual smart alec remarks most TV members care to make, I know you would not come under that catogory.

I find your comments almost always very helpful Sheryl, however I am intrigued as to what you would suggest the op do. I am in a very similar position, not quite that age but not far off it, wife and child, little money, live off pension. Departing Thailand is not an option, I just hope nothing happens to me before my child is an adult and my mortgage gets paid all up [next June]. Not interested in the usual smart alec remarks most TV members care to make, I know you would not come under that catogory.

For most people conservative management of a Carpel Tunnel problem will only provide temporary relief.

The only "cure" is a minor surgical procedure.