Reserve act opens 12 million Thai men to summary military conscription

webfact

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Submarines, new fighter jets, new BTR3U & Black Widow personnel carriers, guided missiles. Is Thailand planning to invade Burma? Or is it for civil defense?

Something is going on with these guys.

The Thai military is for, um, internal purposes:

"IT HAS more generals than nearly any other country, but the Thai army was not created to fight wars. Why does it remain the most important political force within Thailand?"http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/12/economist-explains-2

Submarines, new fighter jets, new BTR3U & Black Widow personnel carriers, guided missiles. Is Thailand planning to invade Burma? Or is it for civil defense?

Something is going on with these guys.

The Thai military is for, um, internal purposes:

"IT HAS more generals than nearly any other country, but the Thai army was not created to fight wars. Why does it remain the most important political force within Thailand?"http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/12/economist-explains-2

Now this will really annoy a lot of people. Passing this type of law on the quiet is absolutely outrageous.

Money to be made though from those who can pay to avoid being called up.

Worgeordie said something about that previously.

Anything more on the ridiculous idea to conscript BIB ?

What? There must be a shortage of personal servants for the top brass.

I was drafted in middle Europe.....

As drafted soldier you are a slave....

No, you're a soldier.

sit in the office with 3 fat women and a small dog doing their job or some private things for the big boss....The hole time I shot 3-4 bullets and no exercise ammunition.....Did some marching (with the superiors use the care or the mountainbike). So zero defense....

In my opinion this is a throwback to aa bygone era. The military in most countries is a reactionary force. Couple this with Thailand's history of authoritarian government by self-appointed "saviours" of the country, and this move is entirely both comprehensible and reprehensible; it's their instincts, the dears cannot help themselves.

What is this point that Prayut - O seems to be making, perhaps he requires more men to replace the ones that will refuse to fire at their Mothers , Fathers , Brothers, Sisters and other family members and defected to the other side , just like it happened all those years ago, It's called forward planning ...................bah.gif

I shouldn't imagine any such conscripts would be any more enthusiastic or ( politically) motivated soldiers than the lot they have already!

Of course, they may be trying to increase the number of soldiers, so that it more realistically reflects the number of generals.

gigglem.gif

Then all 12 million must serve in the army at one time. If you use the US armed forces as an example. They have 1,4 million active personnel and 140 generals, a ration of 10 000:1. With 1400 generals the Thai armed forces should have 14 million men. The 12 million is a bit low 555.

My Thai Son In law has just enlisted voluntary,Thai government does not give one baht for three months, So what does any young Thai man with a family Do for support, what happens to the wife back home who maybe has a child,

Be realistic mate, ANYTHING to get away from his Thai wife and screaming kids..... wife's mom will adopt the kids as is the norm here...... Wife will end up in the bars... where all good Thai girls should be..!

I'm anti-imperialistic and I was in South Asia in 1969, West German (NATO) Army didn't want me when I threatened I might change sides and turn my gun against them.

IMHO, there's nothing wrong to defend your country AND your family, but only this. If a foreign country should invade Thailand, I would of course be on Thailand's side, although not everything is perfect here.

"Government ALWAYS knows what's best. The free market is dominated by us capitalist thugs that believe in freedom."

No of course not!

If men get together to form a CORPORATION, they can do no wrong. If men get together to form a GOVERNMENT, they can do no right.

[sarcasm]

History disagrees with your ideology, 555.

Edited by SiSePuede419

What? There must be a shortage of personal servants for the top brass.

I was drafted in middle Europe.....

As drafted soldier you are a slave....

Middle Europe??????

Did the French Foreign Legion get you? Maybe Hitler or Stalin forced you to fight??

...a little OTT...

Middle Europe??????

Where is your esprit de corps?? You are anti-capitalist H90, so you should be tickled pink to have been a slave to a government, any government.

Government ALWAYS knows what's best. The free market is dominated by us capitalist thugs that believe in freedom.

---------------

Sorry H90 - you seem like a nice guy & I'm NOT attacking nor flaming you. I just saw in another thread where you said you were anti-capitalist, so I am arguing with your beliefs. I'm sure you are a great person & it's not my intent to make any enemies anywhere.

...well, you are doing a great job of it...

What is this point that Prayut - O seems to be making, perhaps he requires more men to replace the ones that will refuse to fire at their Mothers , Fathers , Brothers, Sisters and other family members and defected to the other side , just like it happened all those years ago, It's called forward planning ...................bah.gif

That truly WOULD be a first if you are correct.

The forward planning part....

I sincerely doubt that forward planning will ever be an issue in Thailand.

"Forward planning" as opposed to? Backwards or maybe sideways?

I imagine they will be mostly farm boys or young lads working at careers. The Hi-so's will no doubt get some personal exception so as to not disturb upper status.

There are 3 ways:

you pay and never get drafted

you get drafted and after 3 month you go home the boss keeps your salary (that you do when you are not rich but have a job to loose)

you study at university, be good connected and come somewhere very cosy....work on your future connections

Thailand has a bit more than 300,000 soldiers and now wants to get 12,000,000 conscripts. So here is a bit of history and facts which occured in teh past:

"By 1935, Germany was openly flouting the military restrictions set forth in the Versailles Treaty: German re-armament was announced on 16 March as was the reintroduction of conscription.[28] While the size of the standing army was to remain at about the 100,000-man mark decreed by the treaty, a new group of conscripts equal to this size would receive training each year. The conscription law introduced the name Wehrmacht, so not only can this be regarded as its founding date, but the organization and authority of the Wehrmacht can be viewed as Nazi creations regardless of the political affiliations of its high command (who nevertheless all swore the same personal oath of loyalty to Hitler).[29] Hitler’s proclamation of the Wehrmacht's existence included a total of no less than 36 divisions in its original projection, contravening the Treaty of Versailles in grandiose fashion. In December 1935, General Ludwig Beck added 48 tank battalions to the planned rearmament program.[30]

Numbers

The total number of soldiers who served in the Wehrmacht during its existence from 1935 to 1945 is believed to have approached 18.2 million.[32] The Wehrmacht lost about 10,000,000 soldiers during the period from 1939-1945, a combination of about 2,000,000 KIA, 3,000,000 MIA, and 5,000,000 WIA."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wehrmacht

1. It is another step towards consolidating power and moving the country towards hichayhorhip.

2. Completely unrelated to the above...just now, an advert for an article appeared within this web page, with a picture of the dear lad Kim from North Korea.

Only passed to be able to call up to that number; not actually doing so nor are they likely to be all called at the same time, unless there is something brewing that none of us are aware of?? !!!

I think we are all aware of an up-coming event that will require more troops on the streets ensuring an outcome the elite want.