Did you get the windows 10 Fall 10586 update? I didn't get it.

steveb6

I have been reading about windows 10 Fall 10586 update but I never got it.

When I checked updates I got an error message that updates was not working. Ran the update trobleshooter and it downloader the normal updates and stopped at 40%. I closed the page and tried againg and worked. But now cannot get the Fall 10586 update

I also read that you can get it using the windows media creation tool. Is it better to wait or try using the tool? I am afraid if something goes wrong. Did you get the update or still waiting?

My Lenovo notebook (Win10 Home) got the update last week. My desktop computer (Win10 Pro) still hasn't received it.

Last updates for desktop were routine ones (Cumulative Update, Malicious Software Removal, MS Office Security updates, etc) dated 11/14/2015. Until the notebook was updated and I saw how big of an update/process it was, I thought the 14-Nov updates were it. Then I checked the version number: still on Version 10.0.10240.

Just did a manual update check, and Windows Update says my desktop computer is up to date.

I upgraded to W10 in october. I wish I hadn't.

Although the info we're given says you can only revert to your previous windows version within the first thirty days I was able to go back to windows 7 over six weeks after I'd upgraded. Have a look and see if your 'old windows' file is still on your C drive then, if it is, try it.

Now I am confused

How do I make an install disk for W10 without the MCT??

If you're wanting to do a fresh install then you can use MCT, or you could *acquire* the generic Windows 10 .iso file and use that with another utility to create either a USB or DVD boot media.

If you were hoping to use MCT to upgrade an existing Windows 10 (10240) install to a Threshold 2 (10586, Version 1511) install, then PIB posted that where people could previously use MCT to force the update that Microsoft has now pulled that option, and the update can only be done now from within the OS via Windows Update:

Started by Digitalbanana, 2015-11-13 12:17

Since the Win 10 November upgrade was removed from the Microsoft MCT website ISOs I wondered if it had also been removed from the Microsoft Windows TechBench website ISOs where you can also download Win 10 ISOs. Went to the TechBench website and it didn't have any verbal notice like the MCT website did regarding the removal of the November update from the ISOs.

Then I did some googling and other folks have already done a download from the TechBench website and found the file names have changed back to the original Win 10...and one person actually installed his downloaded ISO and he ended up with the original Win 10 ver 10240. See snapshots below.

So Microsoft has removed the upgrade from the both their ISO download websites. Fortunately a few days ago before Microsoft removed the Upgrade from their ISOs, I also created a new Win 10 ISO on DVD for clean install on another computer I should be buying soon...should make the install go a little faster by not having to download or wait on the BIG Upgrade after I do the install.

post-55970-0-09752700-1448282077_thumb.j

Quick, hurry, if you still want the Upgrade now via the MCT apparently it's still available from an unpublished Microsoft MCT link. See this ZDNet article at the bottom of the article where it says and to quote with the unpublished Microsoft link:

Update: The version 10586 Media Creation Tool is still available from an unpublished link on Microsoft's download servers. Microsoft will probably remove it before long, but for now at least it works to upgrade systems running the original (build 10240) release of Windows 10 or to create a version 1511 ISO file.

I clicked the link above and it downloaded the MCT setup tool/file...and when opening the file to see the Details (see below) it shows it should provide you a Win 10 10586 upgrade/ISO.

post-55970-0-97861400-1448283305_thumb.j

Edited by Pib

Quick, hurry, if you still want the Upgrade now via the MCT apparently it's still available from an unpublished Microsoft MCT link. See this ZDNet article at the bottom of the article where it says and to quote with the unpublished Microsoft link:

Update: The version 10586 Media Creation Tool is still available from an unpublished link on Microsoft's download servers. Microsoft will probably remove it before long, but for now at least it works to upgrade systems running the original (build 10240) release of Windows 10 or to create a version 1511 ISO file.

I clicked the link above and it downloaded the MCT setup tool/file...and when opening the file to see the Details (see below) it shows it should provide you a Win 10 10586 upgrade/ISO.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Thanks for the link Pib, have downloaded the creation tool and will try at home tonight (if it still works).

I'm having a mixed experience with the 1115 update. Office workstation & laptop (Lenovo) both showed the W10 upgrade to 10586, in both cases automatic updates was selected but i had to start the update manually from Settings\Update & security and they both installed OK.

On my home desktop, the update to W10 10586 was showing in the updates and once again, i manually started the update. This time however it hasn't seemed to install as the OS is still showing version 10240, and the computer is telling me updates are up-to-date.

On a slightly different note, (with reference to the ZDNet article stating that MS had currently removed the W10 upgrade from updates) i upgraded one of the office workstations yesterday afternoon from 8.1 to W10 (without using the creation tool) and that has upgraded directly to version 10586. So if anyone is planning to make the change soon, you should go straight to the latest release.

Not exactly sure what MS are playing at.

I read a couple of articles as to possibly why Microsoft backtracked in allowing folks to get the upgrade right now via ISO download vs Windows update, but below article seems to sum it up pretty good I think. It probably has something to do with the licenses/digital entitlement rights that might have affected some folks or maybe negatively affect Microsoft in some way. But Microsoft is going to play "I've got a secret" and not give a straight answer that most everyone will believe. I'm sure Microsoft is more concerned about themselves than their customers as to why they pulled the upgrade from their ISO distribution servers such as the MCT. Based on the Visa and Win 8 train wrecks I sure hope Microsoft don't run Win 10 off the tracks shortly after leaving the station.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3007410/microsoft-windows/microsoft-pulls-windows-10-v-1511-threshold-2-release-from-download-page.html

When using the media creation tool, what is the difference between upgading and downloading it to a flash drive. Is it beetter to upgrade or save it?

Also, when I want to install from the flash drive , it will install all my drivers and keep my files and programs or I must do it manually?

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

As an update, as of 20 minutes ago (15:40_26-Nov-15) the media creator to 10586 is still working.

There doesn't appear to be much pattern to it. I've just noticed that the first PC on which I installed the Insider Preview, which is on the fast ring and on 10240, still hasn't updated.

I did a Windows update and there's nothing there.

Yet the other 4 are all done, one of which I only upgraded from 8.1 to 10 a couple of weeks ago, and which installed the update three days ago.

Very odd.

Another oddity.

ourlovecanlastforeve sends this report from Martin Brinkmann of gHacks:

Microsoft's Windows 10 operating system may uninstall programs — desktop programs that is — from the computer after installation of the big Fall update that the company released earlier this month. I noticed the issue on one PC that I upgraded to Windows 10 Version 1511 but not on other machines. The affected PC had Speccy, a hardware information program, installed and Windows 10 notified me after the upgrade that the software had been removed from the system because of incompatibilities. There was no indication beforehand that something like this would happen, and what made this rather puzzling was the fact that a newly downloaded copy of Speccy would install and run fine on the upgraded system.

An IT Director I know had this happen with ESET antivirus as well, on multiple computers. He says fixes have been rolled out for both TH2 and the antivirus software to prevent this from happening. Other reports mention CPU-Z, AMD's Catalyst Control Center, and CPUID as software that's being automatically uninstalled.

Edited by Chicog

Yes, the 10586 upgrade removed the CPU-Z freeware program from my computer and notified me of the removal when completing the 10586 installation. And then it keep notifying me on each bootup it had removed the CPU-Z program. Could not stop it from notifying me on every daily bootup. I could even reinstall CPU-Z no problem. And then I uninstalled it no problem. But Windows would continue to give me a few second notification on each daily bootup that the program had been removed even clearing/deleting the notification and ensuring the CPU-Z was not listed in my Settings, Systems, Notification & Actions.

Did some googling and came across quite a few links on Windows "ghost notifications" of programs long uninstalled...and a person could not get the ghost notification to stop. And these ghost notification problems existed with Win 10 even before 10586 came out. I had never had a ghost notification problem before.

So, I reinstalled 10586 using the save apps & setting approach like when it initially installed but with CPU-Z not installed. 10586 installed OK again but without the notification that CPU-Z had been removed...ghost notification problem fixed.

Edited by Pib