Brussels mayor advises bars and restaurants to close from 6pm

rooster59

Brussels mayor advises bars and restaurants to close from 6pm

post-247607-0-20995400-1448152167_thumb.

The Belgian capital is on lockdown, with the mayor recommending that city centre bars and restaurants close from 6pm CET on Saturday (November 21).

But during the day, some people were determined to continue with life as normal.

Home to the European Union and NATO headquarters, Brussels is a tourist hotspot.

Security has been visibly stepped up across the city.

“A little bit terrified, yeah, and afraid of what can happen. But still there a lot of policemen so we hope the situation is under control,” one girl told euronews.

Belgian police have charged three people with involvement in last week’s deadly attacks on Paris, while France has called for tighter border controls.

“Of course, I understand that the government and the authorities choose to protect citizens, but it’s (an) invisible threat. How can you protect each street of the city? It’s completely impossible, that’s the problem. It’s a war without a face,” said one man in the Belgian capital’s city centre.

A huge manhunt is underway for French national and Brussels resident Salah Abdeslam. The lead suspect in the attacks, he is believed to have returned to Belgium.

But that didn’t stop one local woman, who told euronews’ James Franey:
“What can we do? Hide away? That won’t do any good. We don’t know where the next place to be targeted will be.
“I go to town every Saturday, so today I’m in town. If we’re meant to die, we’re going to die.”

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-11-22

They're not going to attack on a weekend. The eurocriminals don't work on weekends , well not much in the week either. And let's hope they are the targets , not ordinary people .

Still just the threat is great and is going to cost belgium a lot of money. Belgium , one of the highst taxing countries in the world where the people have 5 governments to rule them.

The Belgians have two police forces, one are akin to the keystone cops, they are organized by commune and are a law unto themselves, see the thread on Molenbeek for an example. Then there is the nationally organized Gendarmerie, who are the 'real' police and have the feel of a paramilitary force about them.

Let's hope Belgium has enough of the latter as I wouldn't back the commune level police to protect anything.

Way to go Belgium, really showing Terrorists you will not be messed with? We've had a phone call, cancel everything, close the shops, everyone stay in doors... Not even had an attack and they got you shatting your pants, show them they can not win by terror, do not give up your freedom is exactly what they want.

The Belgians have two police forces, one are akin to the keystone cops, they are organized by commune and are a law unto themselves, see the thread on Molenbeek for an example. Then there is the nationally organized Gendarmerie, who are the 'real' police and have the feel of a paramilitary force about them.

Let's hope Belgium has enough of the latter as I wouldn't back the commune level police to protect anything.

About the 2 police forces:

Let me guess.

You read that in a newspaper 20 years ago?

Do try to keep up with the news, if you are going to comment.

They're not going to attack on a weekend. The eurocriminals don't work on weekends , well not much in the week either. And let's hope they are the targets , not ordinary people .

Still just the threat is great and is going to cost belgium a lot of money. Belgium , one of the highst taxing countries in the world where the people have 5 governments to rule them.

The USA has 51 governments, hope you get that.

Let me guess.

I was about to write the same , in a country the size of Bangkok they are far more effective to any kind of treat , we don't need sheriffs and deputies and FBI and CIA and Army ,National Guards and reservists

Let me guess.

I was about to write the same , in a country the size of Bangkok they are far more effective to any kind of treat , we don't need sheriffs and deputies and FBI and CIA and Army ,National Guards and reservists

Police reform in Belgium happened in 2001.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_enforcement_in_Belgium

You have 2 levels : federal and local.

51 ? BS. Your city, county , state & federal . Us is a big country , belgium a little sh-tstain on the map with 11,5 M people.

Before you start insulting , I mean every citizen has 5 governments above him/her , in this small country. If you are Walon , the Brussels , german & flanders regional governments don't have anything to do with you. The same in the US, A Californian state government has nothing to say about another state's residents. A US citizen does not have 50 state governments above him. A.H!

Before you start insulting , I mean every citizen has 5 governments above him/her , in this small country. If you are Walon , the Brussels , german & flanders regional governments don't have anything to do with you. The same in the US, A Californian state government has nothing to say about another state's residents. A US citizen does not have 50 state governments above him. A.H!

I do not understand your post.

Your first sentence says the opposite of the rest of your post.

I am Flemish.

There are 2 governments that deal with me: the Flemish and the Belgian government.

2 not 5.

51 ? BS. Your city, county , state & federal . Us is a big country , belgium a little sh-tstain on the map with 11,5 M people.

How dreadfully rude! A sh-tstain on the map?? Read a little history there are things about Belgium far greater than the US and it actually has a history. I have many friends in Belgium as I lived close by in Holland for 6 years. Around about 5 out of 10 of one group of people I know speak 8 languages fluently, others in general speak 4 or 5. In the US many struggle to have a command of just the one language they use. Not sure what Belgium or their people ever did to upset you. Size isn't everything ;)

Trappist beer.

French fries.

Plastic (bakeliet).

Sinterklaas.

The EU.

Diamonds.

Mayonaise without sugar.

Chocolate.

Waterloo.

Hot water.

Jokes about the Dutch.

Those are some of the things we invented in our "sh-tstain" country!

Who does better?

You also invented the saxophone!!! The whole jazz world owes Belgium ;) <3

Trappist beer.

French fries.

Plastic (bakeliet).

Sinterklaas.

The EU.

Diamonds.

Mayonaise without sugar.

Chocolate.

Waterloo.

Hot water.

Jokes about the Dutch.

Who does better?

You also invented the saxophone!!! The whole jazz world owes Belgium wink.png <3

Yes we did.

But in all honesty I have to say that contrarily to popular belief the modern flush toilet was not invented by a Belgian.

It was invented by the Dutch.

A Belgian merely added the drain pipe to the original Dutch design.

Brussel's city police asked the public and the medias not to disclose informations on interventions on news sites and social networks. so instead .... Belgians responded with lolcats ( "Abu Miaou" )

http://tempsreel.nouvelobs.com/attentats-terroristes-a-paris/20151123.OBS9982/les-operations-anti-terroristes-en-belgique-transformees-en-chatons-sur-twitter.html

Edited by Opl

Trappist beer.

French fries.

Plastic (bakeliet).

Sinterklaas.

The EU.

Diamonds.

Mayonaise without sugar.

Chocolate.

Waterloo.

Hot water.

Jokes about the Dutch.

YWho does better?

You wouldn't have your french fries and chocolate without Central and

South America or tomatoes, coffee, rubber, cashew, chilies, papaya and

the list goes on, don't forget cancer for your pipes.

rice555