CBR 300R Neutral Selection Clutch Fix..

ja99

Whilst there is a topic that touches on the problem of selecting neutral in the CBR 300, the fix via clutch adjustment isn't exactly spelled out in detail. The one spanner in the toolkit is probably all you need to do this, as it was in my case. Mine got worse after changing the brake, throttle levers with 6 position switches which still weren't enough to find the clutch sweet spot. Others have suggested changing the oil and tweaking the gear shift lever but it was the cable tension in my case that needed attention, and I daresay is the same reason others have this problem on a near new bike.. The clutch was only slightly sticking with the lever fully depressed but this was enough to cause major Neutral selection hassle, it was getting impossible to get to Neutral with a warm engine.

The adjustment method is neatly explained in the 250R manual available online in pdf format, the method is the same for the 300 and no doubt, would apply to other bike models.

Both ends of the cable need to be checked. The object is to move the sweet spot for engagement away from the handlebar and more towards the lever.

1. At the lever, peel the rubber dust cover back. If the lever adjuster is threaded out near its limit or if freeplay cannot be obtained, loosen the lock nut and turn in the clutch cable adjuster about halfway for starters. Tighten the lock nut .

2, At the engine cable end, loosen the (lower) bigger lock nut with the toolkit spanner. Turn the upper adjusting nut CLOCKWISE to move the engagement point further out. Tighten the lock nut and check the adjustment, start the engine, select neutral and repeat if still sticking even a little.

Not only will Neutral be easy to find, selecting first gear will be less pain with only a mild thunk instead of a crunch.

This may be akin to telling your granny how to suck eggs, anyways safe riding to all. It aint easy on Thai roads..

Ah ok thanks - my CRF has been difficult to find neutral in, and I do get the occasional 'thunk' when getting into gear. I'll have a check and see if this fixes it...

Good luck with it..it may take a few turns at each end to move that sweet spot along..

My CBF takes a special sequence..

Push through to first. Back up to second. Light tap back to first

Eased a little with synthetic oil. But always a little tricky

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

My CBF takes a special sequence..

Push through to first. Back up to second. Light tap back to first

Eased a little with synthetic oil. But always a little tricky

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thats exactly what I had to do except it got worse and wouldn't go to neutral at all. Sounds like your clutch is sticking , cheers

Was having the same problem finding neutral so I stopped by Piston Shop. Nat, the owner, had me fixed up and on the road in less than 5 minutes. Now, not only can I find neutral when I want it, but the gears shift much smoother than before as well. I really recommend these folks. They know bikes and take pride in their work.

David

p.s. not related to or affiliated with Piston Shop. Just a happy, multiple use customer.

Was having the same problem finding neutral so I stopped by Piston Shop. Nat, the owner, had me fixed up and on the road in less than 5 minutes. Now, not only can I find neutral when I want it, but the gears shift much smoother than before as well. I really recommend these folks. They know bikes and take pride in their work.

David

p.s. not related to or affiliated with Piston Shop. Just a happy, multiple use customer.

I do a post entirely on how to adjust the clutch alone with one spanner and you all you do is say take it to your favourite shop, nice one..

David

I do a post entirely on how to adjust the clutch alone with one spanner and you all you do is say take it to your favourite shop, nice one..

ja99,

The advantage of getting it done at the shop was seeing the procedure done right. No spanner needed, all adjustment done at the lever while sitting on the bike so you can test the adjustment as you go. If I need to do it again in the future, no need to even get off the bike.

I'm sure your way works fine too. I just prefer simple as possible.

David

David

ja99,

The advantage of getting it done at the shop was seeing the procedure done right. No spanner needed, all adjustment done at the lever while sitting on the bike so you can test the adjustment as you go. If I need to do it again in the future, no need to even get off the bike.

I'm sure your way works fine too. I just prefer simple as possible.

David

What you saw the shop do was the equivalent of step 1., trouble is that doesn't always have the range to move the sweet spot along. It did in your case otherwise it is on to step 2 with the spanner at the other cable end. If that seems complicated then you are probably best off going to the shop..