Windows 10 10586 and slow login problem

Digitalbanana

Since I have updated from Win 10240 to Win 10586.11 version I have noticed it takes a lot longer to sign on to my account than before. It used to be almost instant, now it takes 10-15 seconds at least.

It's summarized on a tech thread here (http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/30177-windows-10-10586-3-slow-login-problem.html ) much the same as I get with no solution I notice so far.

Anyone else noticed it.

I'm using local account and an SSD drive.

Are you talking logging onto a Windows Users account like maybe you have you computer setup to be used by several two or more people or are you talking about logging onto your Microsoft account which is online? I only use a local Microsoft account so I don't have to rely on a slow internet connection allowing me to logon via an online Microsoft account.

I have Win 10 10586 on my laptop and I would have to say it probably got a little faster compared to Win 10 10240. And I also have a Nvida card using the GEForce app....no problems there. And my computer boots up maybe a 5-10% faster under 10586 than 10240.

But as we all know with computers, one computer can be working fine or have a completely different set of problems with a certain operating system such as Win 10 compared to another computer using the same operating system. Computers can be a real pain sometimes....I've had my fair share of pain over the years and it seems that pain flares up during those periods Microsoft is rolling out a new version of Windows and hardware/software manufacturers are playing update catch-up.

the Windows 10 November Update had been pulled from Windows Update [refer to: http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-explains-disappearance-of-the-windows-10-november-update

I checked my Windows, and it's Version 10.0 (Build 10240) and no updates available

I just do not know where I can find installed updates on Win 10 Pro 64-bit.

the Windows 10 November Update had been pulled from Windows Update [refer to: http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-explains-disappearance-of-the-windows-10-november-update

I checked my Windows, and it's Version 10.0 (Build 10240) and no updates available

Have you pressed the 'Check for Updates' button in Setting | Update & Security | Windows Update?

The Threshold 2 version 1151, 10586 updates are being 'rolled out' slowly, apparently the late adopters getting it later.

And have you read PIB's latest posts in

Did you get the windows 10 Fall 10586 update? I didn't get it.
Started by steveb6, 2015-11-21 06:39

Specifically posts #13 and #14 regarding using Microsoft Creation Tool to force update. (hurry, while it's still there).

Have you pressed the 'Check for Updates' button in Setting | Update & Security | Windows Update?

The Threshold 2 version 1151, 10586 updates are being 'rolled out' slowly, apparently the late adopters getting it later.

And have you read PIB's latest posts in

Did you get the windows 10 Fall 10586 update? I didn't get it.
Started by steveb6, 2015-11-21 06:39

Specifically posts #13 and #14 regarding using Microsoft Creation Tool to force update. (hurry, while it's still there).

Yes, I did check for updates. Previously (a couple of days ago) I was offered the version 1151, 10586 updates. But wasn't able to install it along some other updates. Now there is no updates available. In the meantime, I uninstalled GeForce Experience.

RichCor, thank you for pointing me to the other topic, I read it, and am not sure if to go for the ISO 10586 upgrade. or wait for Windows update that should come sometime in December.

I'm getting unusually high CPU usage ever since this update to 10586. Never a problem before. It really has been a pain in the arse. Thanks MS.

This after switching PC and doing nothing for 5 minutes.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

I just looked at my machine for the same three processes and they are using 0% CPU and around the same memory MB as yours. I'm running 10586.

CPU process percentage can vary a great deal depending on what program you have running in the "backup" like an antivirus/firewall. A person might think that since he's not actively running any program in the foreground that this CPU/memory/disk/etc., activity should drop way down close to zero, but that is when some programs running in the background gear up to do some of their work so they don't slow down your foreground programs. For example, most of the time my Norton 360 firewall/antivirus program is using 0% CPU and then other times it jumps up to 14 to 18% when it's doing some background disk scanning....this 14 to 18% CPU usage will last a minute or two, then go back to 0%. Now when Norton is doing that I've never looked to see what CPU usage the three processes you listed may have risen to.

Edited by Pib

It appears reminiscent of when I was upgraded from Win7 to Win10 originally in July. I was experiencing very heavy CPU usage, making PC almost unworkable for several days especially after each days startup. I think at that time it was related to the new photo app in Win10 compiling thumbnails for the new albums it was cataloging. It's almost like it is happening all over again after upgrade to newer build 10586, but this time I don't know what it is yet.

I'm getting unusually high CPU usage ever since this update to 10586. Never a problem before. It really has been a pain in the arse. Thanks MS.

This after switching PC and doing nothing for 5 minutes.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

I just looked at my machine for the same three processes and they are using 0% CPU and around the same memory MB as yours. I'm running 10586.

CPU process percentage can vary a great deal depending on what program you have running in the "backup" like an antivirus/firewall. A person might think that since he's not actively running any program in the foreground that this CPU/memory/disk/etc., activity should drop way down close to zero, but that is when some programs running in the background gear up to do some of their work so they don't slow down your foreground programs. For example, most of the time my Norton 360 firewall/antivirus program is using 0% CPU and then other times it jumps up to 14 to 18% when it's doing some background disk scanning....this 14 to 18% CPU usage will last a minute or two, then go back to 0%. Now when Norton is doing that I've never looked to see what CPU usage the three processes you listed may have risen to.

Some clarification, where I said ....running in the "backup"...I meant "background" instead of backup. At least I did use the background word later on in the same paragraph. Just don't want anyone to think I meant a "backup" program although a backup program can indeed run in the background on a scheduled basis if a person has set it up that way, but I think most people pick a specific time or manually start a backup program.

You might want to try starting Windows in Safe mode which means any non-Windows operating system programs would not startup. It could very well be some non-Windows OS program causing various Windows OS services to run since programs operate on top of Windows.

It appears reminiscent of when I was upgraded from Win7 to Win10 originally in July. I was experiencing very heavy CPU usage, making PC almost unworkable for several days especially after each days startup. I think at that time it was related to the new photo app in Win10 compiling thumbnails for the new albums it was cataloging. It's almost like it is happening all over again after upgrade to newer build 10586, but this time I don't know what it is yet.

I found a similar comment online:

My machine has a xeon 6-core processor and way too much memory and disk. My machine crawled like a snail for some time and after many restarts. It is now running at full speed.

Maybe you just need to give it some time to "settle in".

You could get task manager open from the start menu and see a lot of what's going on. (Yeah, I know there are other ways to open it.)

If startup is slow it will tell which process start and what impact they have. The processes tab will list each that's running, and tell what resources it's using. If each tab is looked at there's a lot of info there that might help find a hog.

Cheers.

Edited by NeverSure

Yes, I gave it about 8 days to settle in original Win10 update from Win7 and it was almost entirely due to photo album issues. Ran very well after that until mid November update.

This time I notice there are several background services running I haven't seen before and unrelated to photos. These included the ones I posted above and Runtime Broker services. Then last night I checked all of my privacy settings which Win10 10586 had changed again in places to remove my privacy. I changed them back, checked them with the Win10 ShutUp app available (oo-software) for this as well and since then the CPU usage has dropped dramatically as I might normally expect. Maybe a coincidence? It hasn't done my trust of MS any good - I know that much.

Edited by Digitalbanana

I was originally soured on Windows 10. I downloaded it the first time from a link rather than from Microsoft. After a while my Dell Precision computer went to a black screen and I could do nothing to get it back. I removed the hard drive, put it in another computer and formatted it. I then went back to Windows 7. Since then I have upgraded all four of my machines to Windows 10 and all upgraded from Microsoft with no problems. Two machines are fairly powerful desk tops, one is an Acer AMD laptop and the last is an old HP netbook with an SSD. I am confident enough that I have used the system clean disk and removed the old systems. I can't say that I see any huge improvements but all four machines work properly and I have no regrets. Both desktops are 64 bit and the other two are 32 bit. The regular desktops on all are very similar to Windows 7 so there was not much of a learning curve. I'm satisfied. The old netbook was previously running Linux Mint 15.

Yes, I gave it about 8 days to settle in original Win10 update from Win7 and it was almost entirely due to photo album issues. Ran very well after that until mid November update.

This time I notice there are several background services running I haven't seen before and unrelated to photos. These included the ones I posted above and Runtime Broker services. Then last night I checked all of my privacy settings which Win10 10586 had changed again in places to remove my privacy. I changed them back, checked them with the Win10 ShutUp app available (oo-software) for this as well and since then the CPU usage has dropped dramatically as I might normally expect. Maybe a coincidence? It hasn't done my trust of MS any good - I know that much.

There's a news item about this MS snafu going around. Looks much the same as the waste of time I experienced.

Microsoft Pulled Windows 10 Update Over Privacy Settings Bug

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2495699,00.asp

People just need to go into Settings, Privacy and turn off or on how they want Windows and various Windows apps to use/send/receive certain info. And logon to your online Microsoft account and do the same for some settings there. Just takes a little effort one time. When my system upgraded from 10240 to 10586 it didn't change any of my privacy settings the best I can see.

People just need to go into Settings, Privacy and turn off or on how they want Windows and various Windows apps to use/send/receive certain info. And logon to your online Microsoft account and do the same for some settings there. Just takes a little effort one time. When my system upgraded from 10240 to 10586 it didn't change any of my privacy settings the best I can see.

That's probably because most of them are private and you can't see them biggrin.png

Have a look at the s/w I posted; nice and easy.

There's a news item about this MS snafu going around. Looks much the same as the waste of time I experienced.

Microsoft Pulled Windows 10 Update Over Privacy Settings Bug

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2495699,00.asp

Here's Microsoft's comments on the Privacy setting issue and their fix: Link

Edit: The Microsoft cumulative fix update mentioned in above link installed on my computer yesterday.

Edited by Pib