ATORA Suet

davehowden

Rimping have it, make sure you check the expiry date and if you aren't going to use it all, freeze it. Store it in the fridge.

If anyone knows the Thai word for fresh suet and where I can get it I would be obliged. As it doesn't seem to be a thing here, I wonder if they just throw it away?

I once received a rather nasty post on Thai Visa when I said Suet was not available in Thailand.

It was pointed out that thousands of Pigs are slaughtered daily and suet is founded in all.

I was pointed to a Baker in Buri Ram who produced Steak & Kidney Puddings with Suet Pastry and Beef Stew with proper Suet dumplings.

So it is available.

john

I once received a rather nasty post on Thai Visa when I said Suet was not available in Thailand.

It was pointed out that thousands of Pigs are slaughtered daily and suet is founded in all.

I was pointed to a Baker in Buri Ram who produced Steak & Kidney Puddings with Suet Pastry and Beef Stew with proper Suet dumplings.

So it is available.

john

Sorry that people weren't nice to you, sometimes people are just ....people.

I didn't (and still don't) think that suet from pigs can be used though. Perhaps pigs and other animals have it, I suppose they must really, but it wouldn't be the same. Just like pork crackling is yummy but beef crackling is unheard of (probably for a very good reason). Prepared suet, both Atora from UK and I forget the name of the brand I used to use in Australia are available here, but fresh suet - which could only be from cows or buffalo - is going to be harder to track down. I wanted fresh a few times in Melbourne and had to ask the butcher then wait over a week because he had to order it in. I suppose I could do the same here, if only I knew the words to use, not an easy thing to explain to people even in English.

A butcher would have more luck than anyone else though I suppose.

Yeah, I've used frozen lard and even butter when I couldn't get prepared but the taste is really off. The closest I got was freezing a very fatty steak and grating that, much better than the others but still not perfect. Beef suet really does have a distinct taste.

I've rendered pork fat for lard, but it's a pain. I'm going to try to get some off the market this morning, I'm told they sell it in bags (liquid), so it should be an interesting game of charades.

Archived